Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To refuse to pay for School leaving party without seeing the quotes?

(359 Posts)
Sunnymeg Sun 17-Mar-13 08:57:43

DS leaves primary in July. Traditionally the leavers have a limousine to a nearby restaurant, a party there and the parents pick them up at the end. I know from other parents that in previous years this came to around £25 and I'm completely happy with that.
All the year 6 mums had a chat, about the leavers, do at the school gates and one of the parents offered to organize it. This is a parent who has had older children leave the primary and knows how it works. She said she would ring around, email everyone to let them know the costs and if everyone was happy she would book the limo and the restaurant.

Well, we have now heard from her, and she has already booked the limo, and also instead of a restaurant, she has booked a party session at a local play centre, as this is what her daughter wants to do and she thought it was a really good idea. She has asked for a £30 deposit and wants another £20 at the beginning of July. It costs children £12 for a day pass at this centre, and £8 for a birthday party so I can't see how her figures add up. I'm skipping over the fact that our DS doesn't really want to go to the play centre. as it is his last chance to do something with his classmates.

Am I being unreasonable to ask to see the quotes, I admit that I'm annoyed that she has booked the play centre off her own bat, is that clouding my judgment over the whole thing?

becsme Tue 30-Apr-13 12:26:54

Where i live we have lower schools, so the school move happens at 8/9 years old. Two of my chldren have attended and the leaving party seems to be ott. When my oldest was leaving a clique of mums decided venue and limos were put forward as the usual done thing. Thankfully there were quite a few sensible mums in that year and it was very much personal choice. We choose not to go down the limo option. Excessive overindulgence. Unfortunately some of the same parents have siblings in my youngests year. Limos are now being muted as you have to do them. I realise that some parents have an agenda here as they have to do for one child what they did for another.

My views are unchanged and i dont believe parents should be bullied into excess.

MansView Tue 30-Apr-13 11:21:16

re: Limos for Primary School kids ? Dear goodness.

yeah, it's the latest chav craze these days I'm afraid sad

rainbowslollipops Tue 30-Apr-13 07:25:37

What happened to a little party in the classroom with party rings? sad

DJDee Tue 30-Apr-13 00:12:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 23-Mar-13 11:20:18

Child trapped in fire has no after affects at all.
Dd still having ops every year but that's to do with the original accident rather than fire but otherwise fine.

It was a very differcult time for everyone but thankfully it was dealt with well.

Sock - your daughter sounds awesome! What a star! She deserves a bloody helicopter of her own!

Is everyone involved well these days?
<apologies for hijack, its just such a great story - ought to be a film or summat!>

My DS reckons he'd like to be a fireman so that's an interesting idea about the fire engine smile

comfysofas Sat 23-Mar-13 08:17:24

Thanks for the info, I will have to invent a suitable excuse to book one.

skinoncustard Fri 22-Mar-13 20:16:55

COMFY A decommissioned fire engine turned ''party''. Not real firemen but uniformed. Try googleing (sp) Party Fire Engine . Sure your son would love it . Sounds like you are up for a laugh too !!!!

comfysofas Fri 22-Mar-13 18:33:54

Nice to hear people having fun arranging surprises for their children and not getting all angst about it.

I am really liking the fire engine idea, I shall have to makes friends with a fireman.... wink

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 22-Mar-13 18:22:48

Correct assessment grin surprisingly that perticular brother these days is quite a prim and proper geeky gentleman type (his way of describing himself) and never ever does anything naughty but when he was small,well lets just say I hid in the wardrobe lots pretending I was 15 and had no kids.

LtEveDallas Fri 22-Mar-13 18:09:14

Well I remember her being v pretty and her brother looking like a whole backload of mischief!

(That's a very cool coincidence - I'm liking it a lot smile)

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 22-Mar-13 17:59:32

Yep Lt and its very likely I knew a few people on staff because back then I used to train the MOD in DV good practice so was in and out of the camps loads.

Its nice to think that people working in that environment (where they show bravery loads) did that,I shall tell her when I see her this weekend (cos she's now a growd up so lives by herself) she will be pleased.

LtEveDallas Fri 22-Mar-13 15:27:20

Oh sock - I think I remember your daughter. Are you in Wiltshire? If she is the one I think she is then her picture was on display in our NAAFI cookhouse (taken from a magazine and just pinned up) with "Now THAT'S brave" written across it.

(I think someone on the staff knew your family - was a long time ago)

Spamspamspam Fri 22-Mar-13 15:04:48

Can't understand all the hand wringing and wails of EXTRAVAGANCE directed at Comfy shock it's a car that's all, a big one mind that happens to have blacked out windows but it's only a bloody car - some people need to get a grip.

It's probably no more expensive than a bouncy castle for the afternoon, but I bet nobody would be wailing and whining so much if that was mentioned.

The thing I can't get my head around is why if one person decides to do something for their son/daughter and a few friends this is seen as some sort of exclusion to everyone else - if you want to organise something for your children and their immediate friends do it, stop whining about being excluded from someone else's thing - it's not as if these people are talking about inviting 29 of the class and leaving one out.

Personally I hate the bloody things but my Yr5 daughter and her friends would LOVE it - every single bit of it.

All those having one - hope they have fun!

GeneHuntsMistress Fri 22-Mar-13 12:54:22

What strikes me is the overwhelming amount of posters outraged at the thought of limos for primary school children....who then go on to say but of course it's fine for secondary school "proms"

Bit double standard in my opinion. Speaking as an old gimmer whose end of secondary school days consisted of flour & egg fights and signing each others' shirts.

Saying all that, I don't really give a fiddlers fart what anyone else would like to do, and appreciate how much things have changed......just as I suppose the posters I am referring to will be outraged in future at nursery school limos at graduation.....but of course it's fine for primary school children.....

Op - I'm sorry your thread has been hijacked and hope it all turns out well? Please let us know

The fire engine sounds fun skin - how did they manage that one then ?!

comfysofas Fri 22-Mar-13 12:37:25

I am liking the fire engine idea........... and the rolls royce hope you both took plenty of photos.

ladymariner Thu 21-Mar-13 21:03:44

Ds and three of his mates arrived in a Silver Shadow Rolls Royce with "Ride Of The Valkyries" blaring out full volume.....always did like to make an entrance, that boy!!!! grin

skinoncustard Thu 21-Mar-13 20:12:32

8 years ago - High school prom , DD and friends decided limos were so 'yesterday' they arrived at posh hotel on board a Fire Engine ! Lights ! Sirens ! Hunky Firemen ( well that was a matter of taste !! ) They had a ball !!!

comfysofas Thu 21-Mar-13 17:29:23

smile

weird and bonkers.. quite quite true.

JenaiMorris Thu 21-Mar-13 12:53:11

There's nothing to get, Flogging. Nothing at all.

INever - it's weird and bonkers!

ladymariner Thu 21-Mar-13 10:50:09

If comfy had arranged for the limo to turn up at the school in front of all the children then I would say she was out of order and being thoughtless. However, she's stated several times that this is after the official school leaving celebrations and the children involved don't even know yet. I can't really see why people are getting so up in arms, tbh, it's only like having a party and just inviting your friends, she wouldn't have to invite everyone to that so why should she invite everyone to this?

That said, I don't agree with limos for primary school children myself, simply on the grounds that they grow up quickly enough and, imo, should be enjoying the 'simpler'things at that age. The limos etc are great fun when they have the prom for leaving secondary school, but they're 16 then. At ds' prom it was brilliant watching all the kids turn up in various means of transport, ranging from own cars to limos to motorbikes and buses. (and we live in a decidedly working class Northern town, and up here everyone does proms grin )

INeverSaidThat Thu 21-Mar-13 09:25:39

Weird thread...

Still can't work out why people are criticising comfy. She is planning a nice treat or her son and a few of his pals and..., err, that's about it. Sounds like they will have a great time.

We all agree that limos are tacky but I don't think comfys son and his pals are going to worry about that for a moment.

As I said earlier, some posters are really overthinking this.

Floggingmolly Thu 21-Mar-13 08:53:27

What LittleBear said. But you're never going to get it, are you comfy? Mind you, the amount of time you've spent on this thread trying to justify it, seems to be protesting a little bit too much?
Can you actually see it's not on, but just don't care?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now