Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that 90's fashion should stay in the 90's?

(138 Posts)
BubblegumPie Sat 16-Mar-13 18:36:49

I'm looking at you Rhianna <glares menacingly>

Trills Sat 16-Mar-13 20:06:36

I don't think I have any clothes from the 90s but I am fairly certain that I have a black velvet choker that does up with velcro.

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 16-Mar-13 20:06:38

I think it was the law to take a picture of your daughter in a red/burgundy party dress in the 80's.

Why did our parents want to dress us up like pub carpets?

To be fair....I was completely grunge in the 90s (lace nighties and DMs anyone?)...but I was thinking of hideous 90s fashion that is burned into my soul.

Trills Sat 16-Mar-13 20:07:43
ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 16-Mar-13 20:08:40

I'll have to hunt it out and put it on my profile. Give you all a laugh!

I think our parents must all have been issued with them, beyond. grin

I wonder if they did it for a bet, Iam wink

I think in the photo of me in it, I'm about 3/4? So 88/89 ish? With my little blond pigtails and a party hat smile aww, cute little me wink

OH MY GOD I LOVED CLUELESS....

I was part or a threesome of best friends and we worshipped that film...

I unfortunately did the full gamut in the 90's. The neon, the crop tops, the adidas, the grunge, the 90's goth look, the velvet, the glitter.. I think I wore every 90's fashion mistake that came out!

I remember a very long phase of wearing tight white high waisted jeans, with a white ribbed crop top, and a neon green crinkly long waistcoat, and the obligatory platform trainers (also neon green).

I had a gorgeous tartan pinafore in the 90s. Hope this means I can get a new one that'll fit me now!

Satin bomber jackets!!

Oh I forgot camo everything, denim on denim on denim, and blue mascara.

Erm I pretty much still dress like I did in the 90's - DM's and flowery dresses. Nothing much has changed, except I no longer go out in my pj's as people would be more likely to think I was doing the ugg thing rather than copying Carter USM grin

JenaiMorris Sat 16-Mar-13 20:11:58

I looked AMAZING in the 90s.

YABU

grin

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 16-Mar-13 20:12:39

I had tartan trousers. When I left school. So that would have been 1990.

I wonder what we'll be remembering with horror in 20 years.

I think that short lived fashion of wearing dresses over wide legged trousers.

And perhaps playsuits. They should never have brought back playsuits. grin

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 16-Mar-13 20:13:41

I remember the craze for those plastic dummies - I was a bit young for the first phase of raves, but it was compulsory to have as many of those things round your neck whilst listening to the Shamen and pretending to your parents that you had no idea 'Ebeneezer Good' meant...

these glued on your cheekbones/under eyes. For school of course!

I'm slightly worried now, I'm starting to feel quite fond of the look..

beyond Oh god yes, they went everywhere. Did anyone else do the whole garish white/neon coloured lipstick thing?

I vaguely remember wearing earrings that connected to a (fake) nose piercing with a chain

JenaiMorris Sat 16-Mar-13 20:17:02

YES Beyond. I fail to see the faux pas however.

I used to stick diamantes to my face with eyelash glue. I think it was Bjork wot made me do it.

These days they'd get lost in a wrinkle sad

I loved Bjork....

I also STILL HAVE pots of those stars...from Stargazer. They did amazing lipstick colours...

I also maaaaay have worn Crow make-up on a night out once

JenaiMorris Sat 16-Mar-13 20:21:46

I'm such an 80s throwback that the 90s seem positively contemporary.

Can you imagine the AIBU threads if someones daughter wanted to wear stars glued on her face to school now grin

JenaiMorris Sat 16-Mar-13 20:45:44

I was going to school with variously coloured Mohawk at 13. They wouldn't allow it these days.

MoodyDidIt Sat 16-Mar-13 20:46:18

i love it but wonder if i am too old for it as i wore some of it 1st time round ...... blush

Murder my personal fave lipstick was a sort of neony-purpley-pink with black eyeliner as lipliner...
With a messy bleach blonde ponytail as messy as humanly possible! More hanging down than up! (This may be very close to what it looks like now, but now its far from intentional!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now