to think that 90's fashion should stay in the 90's?

(138 Posts)
BubblegumPie Sat 16-Mar-13 18:36:49

I'm looking at you Rhianna <glares menacingly>

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 16-Mar-13 19:15:46

Sparkly only flattering if you're under 25 surely! And don't need to cover up....on anyone who was there the first time, it would be more bag lady than grunge!

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 16-Mar-13 19:17:03

What's Rhianna been wearing? I mean, it's generally so little I'm surprised you can pin a decade to it.

<snorts>

Grunge didn't go away did it? shock

<looks at 11mo Ds in his Nirvana t shirt>

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 16-Mar-13 19:19:16

Neo - but it'll be fashionable baglady.

I haven't been fashionable for about 7 years! Even a broken clock is right twice a day - I finally know the real meaning of that saying grin

Owllady Sat 16-Mar-13 19:20:19

Rhianna is wearing Jarvis Cocker or something? <clutches at straws>

OrbisNonSufficit Sat 16-Mar-13 19:23:08

Gah, Rhianna was born in 1988???? I'm so old...

It's a fairly well-trodden fashion cycle of reinvention though. I used to wear my parents 70s clothes which I thought were beyond cool, but they thought were horrible. I suppose every generation does the same thing.

But yes, the 90s (AND the 80s) really shouldn't be revisited from a fashion perspective!

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Sat 16-Mar-13 19:26:33

Thinking about it it's way too soon for the 90s to come back. I'm feeling old enough already hmm

I used to wear 70s fashions in the 80s, which annoyed the crap out of people for some reason. I can usually find things I like from most decades in charity shops, though I am a little bored that everyone else getting into 'vintage' means the good stuff's harder to find. (My idea of good stuff is not everyone else's BTW).
90s I remember as partly late 60s/early70s revivalism, now you mention it. I liked that aspect...

<thanks FolkGirl for getting in there first!>

Does anyone have a link to what she was wearing?
I hope it was a fluorescent orange skousers (was that what they were called?) and lime green skinny tee. And wedge jelly shoes!

Fondly remmbers wearing purple wallybee, those floppy crushed velet hats, though wearing those body suits with poppers not good when pissed

NoelHeadbands Sat 16-Mar-13 19:38:04

Hmm was she wearing a massive mans cardi from M&S?

Google images has just thrown up a picture of her in doubledenim and a bumbag

This is not nineties fashion, this is what my dad wore in the nineties!! grin

SillyTilly123 Sat 16-Mar-13 19:42:57

Ooo are bumbags back?? i've not just bought one to put my dog walking things in

BubblegumPie Sat 16-Mar-13 19:54:07

There's no one outfit she was wearing that I've seen, she only seems to wear 90's stuff now. She's released a whole 90's inspired collection too. I've seen her in a clueless style spaghetti strap vest dress, bum bags as beyond says and all manner of vile tracksuits.

I remember it all the first time, I had lots of luminous yellow stuff, trousers with skirts over the top and those popper trousers you could unpop to the thigh confused I can't understand why anyone wants to recreate any of that!

I'm old before my time not all that keen on any fashion anyway and I live in hope of the day when everyone just agrees to wear comfy, weather appropriate clobber.

Bum bags?!? Aaaaaaaarghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 16-Mar-13 19:58:40

could be worse. She could have revived batwing jumpers and puffball skirts.

<shudder> I went out like that!

I quite like batwing jumpers, bum bags are infinitely worse.

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 16-Mar-13 20:00:35

Oh I forgot all the lovely velvet - I used to have some lovely purple velvet and some gold satin hipsters for clubbing. Bit old (and fat) for the trousers now, but I reckon I could pull off the waistcoat and a choker. Wonder where my old mood ring is?

Do you think it'll get as far as all that sun, moon and star gold and blue knicknack shit coming back everywhere? I used to go to the hippy shop and buy soooo much crap with that plastered all over it.

<looking forward to the revival>

Adidas poppers!!!!! grin how could I forget them!?

I may still have my old black velvet choker.. blush

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 16-Mar-13 20:02:10

You wouldn't have liked the ones I wore.

Particularly because I actually wore them WITH the puffball skirts.

Early 80s. Worst clothes EVER! grin

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 16-Mar-13 20:03:38

oh god. Velvet. I have a picture of me wearing a red crushed velvet dress with a big lace collar and cuffs.

Bordering on child abuse, that dress was grin

Hec, I think I had that dress too!

I've just realised I have disappointingly few photos of my fashion disasters masterpieces, think most of them are hidden in the attic at my dad's house

I'd have so worn your red velvet dress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now