AIBU To Think That Hi-Five Netball Is Rubbish?

(33 Posts)
LaQueen Sat 16-Mar-13 18:27:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Sat 16-Mar-13 18:31:41

It sounds like pass the fucking parcel, without an actual prize!

What does GK stand for? blush

LaQueen Sat 16-Mar-13 18:36:18

BubblegumPie Sat 16-Mar-13 18:41:58

I was on the best netball team in the county back in't day stealth boast and I am outraged.
From what I recall some of our most assertive players were real little mice in the classroom. I think the aggressive nature of contact sports allow shy kids to assert themselves and gain more self confidence. The school is being very unreasonable.

LaQueen Sat 16-Mar-13 20:13:05

iklboo Sat 16-Mar-13 20:22:02

Speaking as someone who vehemently hates and was scarred for life by school netball......that sounds pants!!!! It just sounds like a massive game of 'passy' with some hoop chucking thrown in.

LaQueen Sat 16-Mar-13 20:27:35

Gumps Sat 16-Mar-13 20:43:38

The point of high 5s is so that players don't get pidgeon holed because of their size. Your dd may be tall now in relation to her peers but in a few years she might not be and if she has always been stuck at gk because of her height she won't know the rest of the court. Also at that age it's far better to try to develop children's all round skills rather than be selective in one area.
The reason for no blocking is so again the game isn't dominated by tall children. This gives all children the opportunity to shoot. You can intercept and the children should be encouraged to do this. The rules are one jump when the player is in the process of shooting.
You dd's teacher was totally wrong with her words regarding athletic ability. As with all small sided versions of games the idea is to get the players to be the best they can be. Our high 5s is very competitive with a clear pathway.

LaQueen Sun 17-Mar-13 13:21:35

ariadneoliver Sun 17-Mar-13 13:32:45

I also hated netball with a passion, it accounted for the dullest hours of my childhood and I was delighted when I could finally stop playing it. This version sounds hideous in the extreme, devoid of anything which might be masquerading as actual fun.

TheSeniorWrangler Sun 17-Mar-13 13:35:28

TheSeniorWrangler Sun 17-Mar-13 13:35:57

specialsubject Sun 17-Mar-13 13:40:09

netball is a poncey game at the best of times but this is ridiculous. Kids who are tall will be better at it. (that's why it is a silly game) Doing some ridiculous swap around isn't going to help.

'team' games are usually a contradiction in terms. Especially at school. Tell your daughter that there are plenty of fun ways to get exercise and not to be put off by this one.

(another one scarred by the horrors of 'team' games - so happy that I will never have to do that again!)

LaQueen Sun 17-Mar-13 13:42:39

LaQueen Sun 17-Mar-13 13:45:39

landofsoapandglory Sun 17-Mar-13 13:51:00

I've just asked DS1(16) if that's how he played when he was in Primary school and he said no. He represented the County in quite a few tournaments.

He asked what was the point of playing, if they are going to play like that?

DiseasesOfTheSheep Sun 17-Mar-13 14:35:26

I also hated netball with a passion, it accounted for the dullest hours of my childhood and I was delighted when I could finally stop playing it. This version sounds hideous in the extreme, devoid of anything which might be masquerading as actual fun.

Seconded. I thought netball was too namby pamby in its original form, let alone this version... Much prefer basketball anyway grin

Gumps Sun 17-Mar-13 17:21:29

Sorry for management speak. I'm a school sports consultant so high 5s is part of what I do for a job. In my area the primary schools play in a competitive league with a finalist representing the borough at crystal palace. It's far from nanny pamby, definitely not children standing with their hands by their side and both boys and girls love it.
I am a very keen netballer and have played at regional level, despite being on the short side.
Seems like I'm one of the only ones with a positive netball experience... This is part of the reason for the introduction of small sides games, like high 5s and tag rugby, to involve more children and develop their skills.

LaQueen Sun 17-Mar-13 17:37:41

ariadneoliver Sun 17-Mar-13 17:40:29

Diseases me too. I loved hockey and football, but netball was just too slow. I was quite tall so should have been at an advantage in getting a more exciting position but the whole thing was just tedious.

TheSeniorWrangler Sun 17-Mar-13 18:20:51

Fakebook Sun 17-Mar-13 18:38:30

Sounds like playing rugby without the tackle with players passing the ball and shaking hands and bowing each time. I loved netball at school, don't understand how you play without waving arms up and jumping confused

MissAnnersley Sun 17-Mar-13 18:49:08

Well we play rugby without tackling. It's called tag rugby and the children enjoy it hugely, even those who play rugby with a club.

It's still very fast and exciting.

ZebraOwl Sun 17-Mar-13 19:15:05

Oh dear goodness that sounds dire.

I quite liked netball at school despite only getting to play it in PE lessons (our PE staff were actively hostile towards academic students regardless of their sporting ability, which is a whole other sort of bonkers, no?) & when I went to university played for my College until I was told I had to stop playing because my knees were on the verge of clapping out. I am 5'4" (& at that point was about 5'3" because I couldn't straighten my legs!) but did a startlingly good job as both GK & GS because I could jump like nobody's business. Was always highly amusing to see the Face Change of opposing teams as I leapt up & whipped the ball away from someone a good 6" taller than me. So yes, body type doesn't always determine which position you're best in - I very rarely played Centre, the position for which I've the natural small-and-nippy form!

Definitely good to have people try out different positions, but surely that can easily be done during lessons/club practices rather than proper matches? It is good for people to try different positions, learn their strengths, develop their skills, work on weak points etc. They should do that playing actual netball though.

This sounds like something Reception children should play to introduce them to the idea of netball, not children your DD's age!

Hate this thing of "everyone must be equal at all times" - is such utter rubbish. There will be people who do better! Can you imagine if more academically able children were told they weren't allowed to do well because it would intimidate/discourage others?!

<beats head on laptop>

HKat Sun 17-Mar-13 19:28:36

You don't have to be tall to be good at netball. Yes it can help in certain positions, but I've played with some awesome shorter centre court players - they're usually the quickest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now