Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

To ask the lady at the supermarket checkout to stop 'throwing' my shopping at me?

(90 Posts)
Geekster Sat 16-Mar-13 14:01:29

While paying for my shopping the checkout lady was scanning it through far too fast and not giving me any chance to pack it. It wasn't even that busy, there was only one person in the que behind me. I politely asked her to slow down, sort of jokingly too saying i was a bit slow this morning, which she did while giving me a funny look. I didn't think I was being unreasonable it's not like I muttered under my breath or gave her a funny look.

MoodyDidIt Sat 16-Mar-13 18:59:44

omg i HATE this too op

and then at the end when you have paid its really awkward, cos they don't start scanning the next persons stuff until you have walked away (i guess they are told not to). and because this always makes me feel pressured, i always fumble and drop stuff and end up taking ages and i feel like everyone is looking at me blush <paranoid>

Owllady Sat 16-Mar-13 19:00:06

asda have to do sop many items per minute and meet the recommended timescale for transaction or something (according to my friend who works there)

they are draconian imo

Owllady Sat 16-Mar-13 19:00:46

sorry gallifrey I didn't see your post, maybe it's down to management discretion or something?

mrsbunnylove Sat 16-Mar-13 19:03:07

i don't like the 'throwers' either.

and i do as many have said, i speak out, go slow and pay at the end. i always pay after i've packed anyway, so at the 'regular' supermarket, they know not to throw as it won't speed things up.

i also put all my goods on the conveyor belt in the order i want to pack them. makes me irritable when the checkout person moves them about or takes them in the wrong order.

Cremolafoam Sat 16-Mar-13 19:03:31

I had the complete opposite the other day. Poor bloke doing the til was very young and went at snails pace. He also did that thing of not pushing the groceries down the chute so they piled up in front of him and I couldn't reach them as I like to pack into my trolly( bags sitting open and waiting)
I had to go back up to the beep part and fetch them.grin I could feel my life ticking awaygringrin

AuntieMaggie Sat 16-Mar-13 19:06:36

I worked at asda last Christmas and I wasn't told of any such target...

The aldi think annoys me because it takes me just as long to place it in the trolley as it does into the bags that line my trolley - I'm not going to throw my items into the trolley just to satisfy their targets!

Owllady Sat 16-Mar-13 19:07:30

cremolafoam was obviously in the co-op wink

pixiegumboot Sat 16-Mar-13 19:12:09

I come from a country where your shopping is packed for you! it really irritates me when the cashier won't help if you are clearly overloaded it's just basic human kindness, why would you just sit there vacant whilst someone needs help? bloody rude. bloody rude also to have the next customer breathing down your neck too. That just makes me go slower grin

EffieTheDuck Sat 16-Mar-13 19:13:20

co-op is hellish for throwing your shopping at you. angry

Owllady Sat 16-Mar-13 19:15:27

really? re co-op? all our local ones behave as if hemp is being burnt in the staffroom

the queues are massive maaan

molly199 Sat 16-Mar-13 19:17:26

iceland have a policy to pack first few items, and they always help pack for me

I can see I'm going to really miss putting my bags for life on top of my food on the belt and having a bag boy fill them put them in the trolley and then wheel it out and put them in my car. grin I'll be the really slow woman packing her bags and getting all flustered at trying to do it all myself when we move back to UK. blush

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Mar-13 19:20:30

The staff in Iceland are always very patient and helpful.

Our nearest Co-Op has a brilliant mark down section. I don 't know who is ballsing up the ordering but I am reaping the rewards. £3.50 cheesecake down to £1.55. grin

I think my Co-Op is like owl's. Veeerrrry slow, but very happy smiles (I'll check tomorrow for dilated pupils). They also do that annoying thing of asking 'would you come around to the self-service till?', then abandoning you for five minutes while the system crashes. The system crashes approximately once every five minutes, I think.

sparking - best mark-down section ever is Tesco in Chester-le-Street. They had crates of figs for 5p each and every weekend there'd be free range chickens marked down on Saturday evening. It was lovely. smile

(Fuck knows why they didn't figure out that no-one wanted chicken roasts and figs except me, but no complaints ...).

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Mar-13 19:23:41

Waitrose ten minutes before closing is always a bit of a mark down festival LRD. 10p sandwiches. grin

Yeah, but Waitrose is quite pricey already. Mind you, 10p sandwitches I would go for! grin

Now just find me the one that marks down their yummy sausages, and we're onto a winner.

DizzyHoneyBee Sat 16-Mar-13 19:25:18

See you there then Sparkling, I'll be the one with a trolley full of smoked salmon sandwiches. I will carry a red rose to be sure of recognition grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Mar-13 19:27:14

I may have just struck lucky that one night after DS2's Christmas play Dizzy. On Christmas eve I feared for the mark down man's safety in Morrisons, he was mobbed. sad

Owllady Sat 16-Mar-13 19:27:17

I was asked for id in the co-op earlier though and I had my 11 year old son with me shock grin

when we got outside which was rather difficult because my head had swollen significantly, he turned to me and said was she BLIND?

hmm

ddubsgirl Sat 16-Mar-13 19:30:02

Works for asda and never once been told about scanning so many items per minute,if the person was going to fast ask them to slow down if they moan complain at CS desk

MrsDeVere Sat 16-Mar-13 19:33:12

I have only had this happen in Morrisons.
Perhaps they have targets there because they virtually fling the stuff at you.

I used to try and keep up but one day I thought 'why the hell am I panicking? I have just spent £150 in here!'

and slowed down.

I don't want to get anyone into trouble but if I am being rushed what on earth must it be like for someone with mobility issues etc?

If customers complained in a none aggressive, non 'you cashier is crap' sort of way, surely supermarkets would stop doing it?

They are well known for rapid, knee jerk reactions

Cremolafoam Sat 16-Mar-13 19:34:53

YY to coop. It's like waiting for godot in the queue. Like time has stood still. They might be on the wacky baccy too. Always sounds noisy in the back and then there's poor Elsie or Jonathan on the til asking at great length for your divvi card. It's frankly exhausting.

MrsKoala Sat 16-Mar-13 19:36:48

Many years ago i worked in Sainsbury's and we had targets to meet. They also put up in the staff room who was the quickest and who was the slowest (as an incentive hmm ) . I made it my mission to be the slowest scanner for every month i worked there. We were told to ignore requests to slow down and that it didn't matter if the shopping piled up because you only start being assessed again when you scan the first item of the next shopper. So actually cashiers preferred to fire it down then have a few mins to chat to the cashier next to them, while the poor shopper had to struggle with a higgledy piggledy pile of shopping.

At Wing Yip (Chinese supermarket in Croydon) they have a till person AND a packer on each till, and you have no say in the matter, it's packed for you! It's very handy and very quick, but I always feel guilty (and a bit like a spare part) while someone else is doing my packing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now