Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

..to think this is a bit cruel

(38 Posts)
badbelinda Fri 15-Mar-13 22:38:16

DD told me the other day that the teachers make them pick teams for sports still. I was very surprised, I clearly remember the abject terror of being "last picked" and the humiliation that followed, and had assumed that kind of thing went out with the belt. DD was upset because one of her friends had picked practically everyone else before she picked her. DD says she's usually one of the last picked but thinks that it's fair enough because she's "pants" at sports anyway but was upset this time because it wasn't a sports team they were picking. She says it's even worse if she has to be team captain and do the picking, if you pick the people that are best at sports they're usually older boys and then everyone says you fancy them. She's 9. I just can't believe they still subject children to this kind of torture but wonder if I'd be overreacting to have a word with the teachers. (Apparently they say it's the only way to make the teams fair but I suspect they were never the kind of children who were last to be picked). AIBU?

BettyStogs Sat 16-Mar-13 00:04:43

I guess you were never picked last, whois?

MummytoKatie Sat 16-Mar-13 00:05:45

whois - but it's a weird combination of sporting ability & popularity so doesn't necessarily give even teams.

Why not just have the PE teachers divide the kids based on their knowledge of the abilities?

Re: big deal. It never happened to me so can't really comment but the fact that lots of people still remember plus it pops up in children's literature all the time means it presumably does.

We have a national childhood obesity problem - why make sport less enjoyable than it could be?

AgentZigzag Sat 16-Mar-13 00:08:27

'well, is it really that big a deal?'

Going on how many times it's mentioned in general and in films etc as the antithesis of happy childhood memories, it's made sufficient impact on people to be noteworthy.

You can't have felt it to talk so offhand about it.

It's not just the one experience, it's always alongside multiple other isolating tactics that single out a few children as outside the 'in' group.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Sat 16-Mar-13 01:01:26

I don't think it's the done thing any more in PE or any other subject or at least not in the schools I've worked on. I wouldn't be happy with this.

firesidechat Sat 16-Mar-13 02:31:02

This thread has taken me right back to my school days and the public humiliation of being picked last. It scars you for life and always thought it was a thing of the past. Perhaps the lovely sporty teacher is reliving their own school days, but with the added bonus of being picked first.

You are right to be unhappy.

BlackholesAndRevelations Sat 16-Mar-13 08:02:31

God, we don't do this at my school. Looking back (always ALWAYS being the last one picked) perhaps this is the reason for my crippling lack of self confidence now sad

Definitely say something. I wonder if your dd's teacher is a) a crumbly old fashioned one or b) a sadistic male teacher who should be in secondary, where one might argue (rightly or wrongly) that you don't need quite the amount of loving care as a teacher? Harsh gebealusations of course, but I have worked with both.

BlackholesAndRevelations Sat 16-Mar-13 08:03:14

Haha, generalisations!

Mugofteaforme Sat 16-Mar-13 19:07:10

Is a good point about popularity over sporting ability. I was often picked last despite always being at the front for the 100m and long jump on Sportsday. I guess (at the time) I was a very quiet kid and acaedemic, not that thats en excuse. To be honest even in my 40s I still feel a stab of pain and really can't believe this shit still happens..It's not hard to randomize the selection these days perhaps as a maths or IT excercise for the older kids.

moominmarvellous Sat 16-Mar-13 19:19:01

Barbaric? Come on. I was picked last in PE too. I'm over it.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 16-Mar-13 19:46:49

It's meant to make you try harder so that you're not the last to be picked next time.

Still18atheart Sat 16-Mar-13 19:49:21

YANBU I was always picked last. Due to not being sporty in the slightest or popular.

I hated P.E for that

Loved being chosen for team capt so I could pick the people who were chosen last first

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 16-Mar-13 19:51:05

Ah... the ritual humilation of picking teams! In my childhood, this was followed by a rousing game of hurling balls at the faces of the weak dodgeball.

Fuck that shit. Fuck it and kick it and tell it to go to Hell. You know who likes this shit? Fucking dumb-ass jocks and their fucknugget gym teachers.

Oh, yeah. I got issues.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 16-Mar-13 19:52:17

grin @katy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now