To be utterly pissed off about people of short stature being used in Peter Kay's thing

(144 Posts)
Verycold Fri 15-Mar-13 21:49:27

Yes yes they didn't have to do it. But they probably needed the money. As the mother of a boy with dwarfism it just makes me so cross.

Verycold Fri 15-Mar-13 23:02:06

I might well be rather sensitive in this. But try to see where I'm coming from - I read about the horribly high suicide rates amongst young men with dwarvism, and I really can't see how rubbish like this is in any way helpful. Have you heard about Martin Henderson, the man who was used for "dwarf tossing", Peter Dinklage mentioned at the Golden Globe awards. This is the kind of thing my son will be up against, and I'm bloody scared!!

snice Fri 15-Mar-13 23:02:45

hear hear MrsDeVere

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Fri 15-Mar-13 23:03:23

Yes, hear hear.

MrsDeVere Fri 15-Mar-13 23:03:41

Yeah I am having a little chuckle at myself right now whats

Because I know the utter futility of trying to get through to tossers on the internet.

Ha ha ha ha ha
HA.

Verycold Fri 15-Mar-13 23:04:08

Thank you to all those who see where I' m coming from.

i was more bothered about his 'wife' in a burkha .. what was that all about.Really thought he'd get alot of stick over this .

MrsDeVere Fri 15-Mar-13 23:06:31

I didn't get that either head. His attempt at surrealism perhaps? Who knows but it was pretty nonsensical.

Maybe he is branching into Dadaism <clutches at straws>

Bunbaker Fri 15-Mar-13 23:07:29

I work with a guy who has dwarfism. He's ace.

All those actors were familiar faces who are regularly in work and are probably gving their time for nothing like a lot of celebrities.

Warwick Davies has been in many different films & shows, like the rest of them he is actually a brilliant role model for differently abled children & young adults. He recently won the Great British Bake Off I believe.

I'm sorry you are worried about the prejudice your son may face OP, and indeed there are so many bigotted folks out there-but direct your ire at those tossers not the ones on TV.

MrsDeVere Fri 15-Mar-13 23:13:09

Thats brilliant bossy so why couldn't they be doing something different? Did they need to be in a group like that?

Couldn't they just be in a sketch?

Couldn't they just be singing or doing a stand up routine?

lappy Fri 15-Mar-13 23:14:30

Peter Kaye, I'm sure was in no shape or form intending any offence and it's up to the the audience whether or not they are offended. Things like "dwarf tossing" and general abuse are a completely different matter. Obviously.

out2lunch Fri 15-Mar-13 23:18:07

how anyone can defend this rubbish is beyond me

jelepomme Fri 15-Mar-13 23:25:30

I didn't see it, but completely agree with Mrs DV. This kind of shit is perpetuating the notion that someone who is smaller than average is someone to be laughed at. That is not right.

Mrs DV - I don't know, it wasn't the funniest of things they could have done I suppose, I don't find him always very funny, but my point was they are dwarves being given jobs, sometimes they will be one of the 7 dwarves, sometimes like Warwick they will take other roles.

If there were better stand up roles / sketches then possibly they'd have a chance at them too.

I don't think they find it demeaning, compared to real abuse like dwarf tossing, but I couldn't speak for them just my observation.

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 15-Mar-13 23:31:58

why do you think comedians are so well-liked? Because there are THAT many
'tossers'? I'm sure you're right and that peter kay is a deeply evil
human being though.

BruisedFanjo Sat 16-Mar-13 01:34:08

Not only was I like "wtf? Hasn't comedy moved on in the last 100 years from 'haha dwarf falls over'?!" But it was a bit of an own goal for PK too. At the beginning where he just can't get going and all those pulling fall over, it would have actually raised a smile had it been just a general mix of any old people, small big whatever - the joke of "hey this is a huge sofa and its others doing all the work pulling yet PK is being treated like a marathoner" would have been clear. Instead of what could have been a slightly funny sketch playing on the usual drama-infused sport documentaries (some of it reminded me of the John bishop multi marathon - emergency treatment in the pub then his wife comes to help etc) it was turned into "haha. Dwarf falls over"... I mean, wtf??? If the point was comedy, why not do the joke instead of fucking it up with being a dick?? And to the BBC - some of those were familiar faces from TV so why weren't they given or offered their own pieces or just a regular part in a regular sketch? Why does it have to be "hey, be in comic relief... As part of a group of dwarves"? Was there a dwarf in the "Equality Street" video, out of interest?

And its not patronising anyone who took part in it, they're all adults who obviously agreed to be in it, doesn't stop me thinking its bollocks.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 16-Mar-13 08:38:08

YABU.... the 'joke' was that, where other celebs climb mountains and swim rivers for CR, Kay sat on his arse complaining that he couldn't go on while everyone else did the work. The dwarves weren't funny because they were short, they were funny because they were killing themselves, bent double, pulling him around. I loved his back-up team of ancient celebrities... <waves to Stu 'I could crush a grape' Francis>

MrsDeVere Sat 16-Mar-13 09:56:47

Unfortunately you are right whats lots of people love Boyle. Lots of people loved that eanker who did 'hilarious' impressions of a black man called Chalky White.

Is that how you decide if something is acceptable? Look around, see who else is laughing and join in?

Which poster called Peter Kay evil?

Icelollycraving Sat 16-Mar-13 10:07:52

I did find the wife really an odd choice in the burka.

Dawndonna Sat 16-Mar-13 10:36:47

*If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't have done it.
Lighten up fgs, if that was the thing that offended you and not the poor little babies dying of Aids etc then you shouldn't watch it.*

agree with dearie - for the love of god, if you don't want to risk being offended, don't watch tv. Or have conversations.

What delightful, caring and understanding people we have on here these days.
Did the pair of you mean to be quite so rude?

JeffFaFa Sat 16-Mar-13 10:49:10

I actually found none of the comedy bits funny except for james corden but i still watched till the end of davina's part, i couldnt manage any more with the arrival of johnathon ross!, i was an emotianal wreck at the important bits though and donated at the end, all that really matters is that people donate.

newgirl Sat 16-Mar-13 10:58:45

Yanbu - ps Warwick Davies lovely bloke - sets his own rules

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 16-Mar-13 11:07:03

What Mrs DeVere said. YADNBU.

specialknickers Sat 16-Mar-13 11:09:01

OP I am with you. Not funny and a joke so cheap that as a TV researcher 15 years ago, "shall I book a dwarf?" became code for "my item is unredeemably un amusing and I am bereft of ideas. I have 5 minutes of live tv to fill tomorrow and I'm fucked".

Clearly, nothing has changed.

Give your beautiful son a big hug from me.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 16-Mar-13 11:34:21

Hang on.... are we saying that only average height people are allowed to perform in a comedy sketch? Ever? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now