To be utterly pissed off about people of short stature being used in Peter Kay's thing

(144 Posts)
Verycold Fri 15-Mar-13 21:49:27

Yes yes they didn't have to do it. But they probably needed the money. As the mother of a boy with dwarfism it just makes me so cross.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 15-Mar-13 22:47:00

YANBU

(and shock that he's 6!)

Verycold Fri 15-Mar-13 22:47:37

Yeah I obviously didn't care one big about thf dying babies...

coatonarack Fri 15-Mar-13 22:47:43

Well, it will never top, Amarillo or the cartoon one. Agree with OP, it was lazy.

gordyslovesheep Fri 15-Mar-13 22:47:59

erm why not use them - or are small people not allowed to be actors or to take the piss out of themselves

not a fan of PK but these small people have always been part of his work - certainly his RND stuff

Verycold Fri 15-Mar-13 22:50:49

Maybe they haven't got that many offers if they want to work in the entertainment industry, so pulling Peter Kay on a sofa becomes an opportunity they can't turn down?

Of course they were there to be laughed at, otherwise why specifically choose them at all, or have a mixture of people?

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 15-Mar-13 22:50:58

so patronising to assume they're only doing it because they're desperate for cash.

ilovevenice Fri 15-Mar-13 22:50:59

YANBU. A close friend has a 13 year old son with achondroplasia, who is a completely normal boy in every way apart from his dwarfism. Dressing people up in leprochaun outfits?? I was just thinking WTF before I saw your thread...

MrsDeVere Fri 15-Mar-13 22:51:18

YANBU
but the comedy mafia won't allow it.
Everything is just for a laugh and you can always switch if off innit?

Besides, don't you realise people have a right to laugh at people who are different and don't you dare try and spoil that with your boring objections hmm

It was pointless and not even funny.

Perhaps if society didn't view people with conditions like Dwarfism as objects of hilarity and only good for panto and the odd dodgy sketch, their employment prospects might improve and expectations may be higher.

Its just disablism. Switching off the tv doesn't make it go away.

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Fri 15-Mar-13 22:51:22

If they were just being used as normal people, why have a 'matching set'. You only do that to draw attention to their stature, to make a point or a joke. If you were genuinely just respecting them as entertainment professionals, they would be mixed in with the other people, just as other people were.

Jynxed Fri 15-Mar-13 22:51:30

I agree Very - I thought it was tasteless and patronising.

Verycold Fri 15-Mar-13 22:52:28

Saggar in fact he's nearly seven! grin

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Fri 15-Mar-13 22:52:32

Yes yes to what MrsDeVere said. Much better than I managed.

gordyslovesheep Fri 15-Mar-13 22:53:44

can 'small people' not make their own choices then? are they to be patted on the head and pitied and shall we assume they are being exploited by the big bad 'comedy mafia' how horribly patronising

PinkBottleGreenBottle Fri 15-Mar-13 22:53:51

I didn't think he was particularly funny, but I never do. But I recognised a couple of the people pulling him along so wondered if they were from some relevant show that I hadn't seen. (If they're part of his usual team that might explain it.) I thought they might have been doing it because of the scale - to make him look like this massive load being dragged along.

MrsDeVere Fri 15-Mar-13 22:55:01

Its not patronising.

When Willy Wonka was remade a few years ago there was a big hoo hah because they only used one bloke as a Oompa Loompa. They just cloned him using special effects.

There were a lot of complaints that this was depriving other actors with dwarfism from already scarce work.

Not all actors who are small are forced into it but there are massively high unemployment rates for people with disabilities/conditions. Of course people will take what they can to make money.

lappy Fri 15-Mar-13 22:56:28

FFS - when will people stop looking for things to be offended about. Honestly.

RoseandVioletCreams Fri 15-Mar-13 22:56:31

A " Matching set" !

V good post mrs D.

snice Fri 15-Mar-13 22:56:49

but their size was the joke surely? that they are the worst people to be pulling the sofa because of their size. So thats crap

snice Fri 15-Mar-13 22:57:43

posted too early

so thats crap AND disablist for want of another word and rather lazy script writing

MrsDeVere Fri 15-Mar-13 22:57:50

I think it was done as an attempt at irony.
The whole premise of the sketch that it was a cliched, crap publicity stunt. I think the whole dwarf thing was done to reinforce that.

It was just a bit rubbish.

snice Fri 15-Mar-13 22:59:18

it was too subtle for me then-I didn't see irony I just saw tired old lazy comedian doing poor quality extended sketch

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Fri 15-Mar-13 23:00:11

RoseandViolet - Oh god, are you quoting me? I wasn't meaning to be offensive. I was trying to highlight the dismissive non-person way that those actors seemed to be being treated in. Hence the quotation marks.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 15-Mar-13 23:00:41

I didn't like the sketch, but you are wrong in saying that they isn't use a variety of people. They had loads of different people pulling that sofa. I don't think the idea was that you were supposed to laugh at them just because they had dwarfism, it was about laughing at PK being a lazy arse while people pulled him along. Granted, it wasn't funny, but I really don't think it was meant to be about laughing at anyone other than PK.

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 15-Mar-13 23:01:08

do any of you ever laugh at yourselves?

MrsDeVere Fri 15-Mar-13 23:01:59

oh for fucks sake

when will people pull their heads out of their arses and stop rolling out shite like 'when will people stop looking for things to be offended about'

If you don't like it you don't have to read it you know.

Isnt that what the professionally unoffended like to say?

This thread has been started by a mother of a child with a condition that our society views as a joke. He will have to spend his life dealing with fuckwits who will ask him if he knows Snow White and pissed up twats who will think its funny picking him up 'for a laugh'

This type of crappy attempt at comedy just perpetuates the sterotype that someone with Dwarfism is a comedy prop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now