Very lighthearted AIBU - but am I unreasonable?! Is it normal?!

(64 Posts)
MagratOfStolat Fri 15-Mar-13 09:56:48

My DS is 22 months old. DP yesterday had a day at home to do work on the computer, so I was doing my normal routine when it comes to DS - we'd play, then watch cartoons, then lunch, then naptime, then he'll play on his own while I get on with housework etcetc...

All going swimmingly until...
DP: JESUS CHRIST! Do you ever STOP TALKING?!?! (with a massive grin on his face)
Me: Eh?! Say what now?
DP: You haven't bloody shut up all day, you'll run out of words in a minute!
Us: Arfarfarf gigglegigglegiggle.

Turns out I'm on my own with DS so much that I've got a running commentary going in English and Pidgeon Welsh! "Look at the pili pala! Isn't it pretty? Are you having fun playing gyda trains ! Awww, ti'n hoffi chwarae trains! Dai iawn! Nah, bach, you can't play here, mami doing the ironing! Mami smwthio!" and on and on!

Is this just a normal "mum stuck at home" thing? I've never been one for complete silence and DP thinks it's hilarious that I'm essentially talking to myself all day long. Is it unreasonable? I didn't even realize the extent to which I was doing it!

I feel quite embarrassed now!

HappyAsASandboy Fri 15-Mar-13 10:04:04

Completely normal I hope I chunter away to myself my two toddlers all the time, which is a bit embarrassing when your realise you're doing it in tesco. I am very embarrassed that other people think I'm a 'loud parent' - I'm really not doing it for others, I barely know I'm doing it.

Keep talking. It will be helping your DCs language development smile

GirlWiththeLionHeart Fri 15-Mar-13 10:05:27

Hahaha

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 15-Mar-13 10:06:02

Keep talking to him!

And reply to your DH,"JESUS CHRIST! Do you ever SY ANYTHING POSITIVE?!"

grin

exexpat Fri 15-Mar-13 10:06:34

How would toddlers learn to talk if their mothers didn't babble away all day without expecting an answe?

Schooldidi Fri 15-Mar-13 10:07:26

Perfectly normal. In fact it's very good for your DS to be talked to (as long as you give him a chance to answer, which I assume you do).

I used to have very long involved conversations with dd2 right from day one, frequently making up her answers to me because otherwise I felt like a loon blush

MagratOfStolat Fri 15-Mar-13 10:07:39

It isn't even like I'm talking directly to DS at some points, I'll start running through the list of things that I need to do... OUT LOUD! It's like I've given birth and along with my figure I've lost my inner monologue!

Thankfully DP is really understanding about it, he finds it so bloody funny!

KeatsiePie Fri 15-Mar-13 10:08:11

Totally normal. I think it's startling that my husband is not more like that!

Naysa Fri 15-Mar-13 10:09:16

I chat to my dog blush

"Oh puppy, let's make your dinner, ooh puppy likes some biscuits to go with his dinner. My, what a greedy puppy. "

He looks at me like this confused hmm

Dahlialover Fri 15-Mar-13 10:10:09

My DS didn't talk until late so it was a continual monologue all day every day, of running commentries and rhetorical questions. We even used to count the stairs..........

KeatsiePie Fri 15-Mar-13 10:10:49

Naysa I do that too and I firmly believe she loves it.

My kids are all at school and playschool now but I chat to the cats all day instead.

Poor dp comes home from dealing with customers all day and just wants some peace and quiet and I've been stuck talking to myself all day so launch at him babbling like a maniac as I'm so relieved to have another adult to speak to blush

catlady1 Fri 15-Mar-13 10:15:33

I do the same, but with my cats. So much so that I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they started talking back. Yanbu grin

TinyPawz Fri 15-Mar-13 10:23:38

I'm temporarily living back at home with my mother and she still does this! I'm 32 ffs. She does not draw breath from the minute she wakes til she goes to be. I have been known to occasionally say "it's quiet time now". The constant blithering drives me bonkers.

IShallCallYouSquishy Fri 15-Mar-13 10:26:59

I announced to my DH yesterday that "mummy is going wee wee". Needless to say I got a bit of an odd look!

AmandaLF Fri 15-Mar-13 10:30:09

I do the same. Keep finding myself blowing Dh noisy kisses when my lb is in bed.

AmandaLF Fri 15-Mar-13 10:30:57

I've never announced to him that I'm going for a wee wee though. That's quite funny.

omri Fri 15-Mar-13 10:33:10

lol i am the exact same! sounds completely normal to me!

CalamityJ Fri 15-Mar-13 10:34:47

Apparently (according to research) communication like you've described encourages positive attachment and reinforces good infant mental health. So carry on! grin

Pauldl Fri 15-Mar-13 10:35:18

As a DH, I'm no expert (we're awaiting our first DC in June) but I'd imagine this is not just normal but fairly important to the development of a child's language and communication skills? If you spent all day in silence, children would never learn to talk!!!

Jojobump1986 Fri 15-Mar-13 10:37:20

OP, are you me?! grin I do exactly that, down to the pigeon-Welsh & pili pala obsession! DS flaps his hands & hyperventilates whenever I mention pili palas. It's so cute!

oldraver Fri 15-Mar-13 10:39:54

Its normal, its how a baby/toddler learns language

MagratOfStolat Fri 15-Mar-13 10:40:11

Jojo! Mine does too! And we've learnt how dinosaurs go - when I point at one he'll stomp both his feet, make claws with his hands and go RAWRRR! I've never loved anything more. It's so freaking cute!

KeatsiePie Fri 15-Mar-13 10:42:28

Squishy that is hilarious.

ebwy Fri 15-Mar-13 10:47:09

I do the exact same thing with my 2 year old and 4 month old - including switching between Welsh and English at random!

da iawn i ti!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now