Ginger mocking/abuse is it covered by any law

(117 Posts)
havingamadmoment Fri 15-Mar-13 07:05:01

I have red hair as do 3 of my 5 children. I was never bullied as a child but in the last few years especially since dc got hair(!) increasingly we are getting well abuse for it.

Just in the last few months numerous men (and its always men for some reason) have concede ex themselves with the colour of my pubic hair, one going so far as to lean out of the car window to shout this obviously important question to me and my 8 year old dd.

I have had a bottle thrown at me from the top of a bus while some twatty teenage boys rhymes random words with ginge and a man has told me that his wife would have killed herself if she had had a ginger baby.

I mean WTF I am 30 this hasn't been an issue for most of my life until the last 2 years or so - what's going on.

Seriously thinking of starting to make a fuss about it . It's not a joke anymore, I don't mind the people who say things like "won't lose them in a crowd" about my dds but the abuse that turns violent or sexual in tone is too much.

If I report it will it be taken seriously? Most people in real life seem to say that we just need to put up with it - do we?

MrsDeVere Sun 17-Mar-13 23:21:48

I am glad to.

But WTF would you go through all of that to turn down a child because of hair colour?

I wouldn't judge a family didn't think they could cope with a certain disability or condition. Its important to be honest about your limitations. But hair colour?!

They should not have passed panel IMO.

Maat Sun 17-Mar-13 22:00:10

MrsDV it was kind of at a pre-matching stage - early talks but not a formal match IYSWIM.

Although it seems quite shocking - people have been honest enough on this thread to say they were relieved their own children did not have red hair due to possible bullying etc. so I suppose the prospective adopters were also just being honest.

I'm glad to say the child is now placed with a lovely family. smile

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 17-Mar-13 21:02:59

This is so weird to me. I actively fancy ginger blokes. My first crush at school had bright ginger hair and brown eyes. Yummy.

MrsDeVere Sun 17-Mar-13 21:00:48

I am sorry to hear that maat. Was that at matching stage or when asked what sort of child they would be prepared to adopt? Genuinely interested.

I bet it did upset you!

PlasticLentilWeaver Sun 17-Mar-13 20:53:10

What maat said about the reasons people have for not wanting children with red hair. I will admit to being relieved, for their sake, that nether of mine have inherited the ginger on either side of the family, simply to make life easier for them. blush

Maat Sun 17-Mar-13 20:49:05

MrsDV - I work for an adoption agency and, sadly, I am aware of a case where this happened.

As a redhead, a mother of redheads and an auntie to two beautiful adopted children - this really upset me.

By the way, I look nothing like my parents who both had very dark hair grin

hamdangle Sun 17-Mar-13 20:41:17

I can't believe you've been treated like that OP! I've never had a negative comment about my hair. I love love LOVE my red hair. It's part of my identity. In work I'm always described as the 'ginger teacher with the high heels' and I love it.

I was never bullied in school either. As a teenager I used to waft around like i was in a Titian painting (admittedly I was a bit of a nob) but I loved looking different

I never had any negative comments when I was pregnant either. One of my students (with beautiful copper hair) said that she hoped I had a lovely little ginger baby.

I even have a ginger dog, a red longhaired dachshund. We look ace together (I am obviously still a nob).

Any comments that are violent or sexual should obviously be reported because it's harassment but I would laugh off any other comments or jokes because I'm very proud to be ginger!!!

MrsDeVere Sun 17-Mar-13 20:35:05

I would be pretty amazed if a prospective adopter got through the assessment process and then turned down a possible match because the child had red hair!
I think that tutor was talking out of their arse.

That said, a 'perfect' match might be a red headed child with a redheaded parent but matching is not just about ethnicity. Looking like your adoptive family can be helpful when you are adopted.

jamdonut Sun 17-Mar-13 20:24:17

My daughter is a beautiful redhead. In some weather conditions her hair looks ginger,others it is auburn. I don't believe she has ever been bullied for it,though we gently tease her sometimes, (Her older brother tells her she is adopted because no-one else has red hair in the family - it's ok she knows he is kidding!!) and she uses 'Ginge' as her nickname on certain social networking sites.
Ever since she was a small child,people have commented on her gorgeous hair,saying that people pay to have her beautiful colouring!

It makes me really angry to think that people are stupid enough to be abusive or attack people for their hair colour though.angry

AuntieMaggie Sun 17-Mar-13 20:15:18

Sorry to everyone thats been treated like this because of your hair colour!

I have been treated similarly to the OP because I have big boobs though it didn't happen when I was 3 stone heavier than I am now. Though 6 months ago some fuckwits shouted obscene comments at me out of their works van when I was walking home from work despite my size 18 figure and modest dress. It really upset me and if I'm completely honest has slowed down my weight loss as I lost the motivation after remembering the abuse I got when I was thinner sad

Anyway my point is some people are assholes and will find a reason to abuse you. Please report it.

newgirl Sun 17-Mar-13 20:08:55

It is racism - judging/commenting on a person because of their genetic make-up.

Background if needed are Celtic origins.

Sooner people understand the sooner stupid people might realise their comments are unacceptable.

Maat Sun 17-Mar-13 19:56:06

No,I agree it's not racism.

But when children are turned down by prospective adoptive parents because of their hair colour - it goes deeper than fuckwits bullying.

starlady Sun 17-Mar-13 19:44:58

I know it's debateable whether racist. I also know black people often get really pissed off about the comparisons. In some senses I understand it, as in the macro sense, redheads aren't discriminated in the sameway ie jobs or housing or in the legal system. However, for individual cases I think it can be just as vicious. My ds looks older than he is and this chilled my blood
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-moment-man-is-viciously-assaulted-1522743

MrsDeVere Sun 17-Mar-13 18:09:19

It is very wrong, very upsetting and should not happen.
Its not racism though.

Its bloody ridiculous how it is still used as some lamearse joke.
How many times have I heard it on OBEM ffs?

Ooooh its not Ginger is it? as the baby is born.

FFS its a hair colour and a beautiful one at that.

No axe to grind. I have no kids with red hair.

It must be bloody infuriating to have to deal with that level of fuckwittery on a regular basis.

I think it is racial abuse - if you substituted red or ginger for black and it was about skin colour it would not be acceptable

Except its not skin colour and red hair isn't a race.

That doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

INeverSaidThat Sun 17-Mar-13 17:41:48

starlady. Oh dear, I just reread my post. What I meant to say was that ' legally ' I didn't think racial abuse included ginger insults.

I can see that there can be a racist angle to it sometimes be it Jewish, Irish (or Traveller ?)

fergoose Sun 17-Mar-13 17:31:10

Starlady that is terrible, your poor son.

I think it is racial abuse - if you substituted red or ginger for black and it was about skin colour it would not be acceptable - I really cannot see how one is worse that the other, both are utterly appalling.

starlady Sun 17-Mar-13 17:02:29

INeverSaidThat, I think you may be wrong actually. One theory is, it's a hangover from anti-semitism.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100197324/why-is-gingerism-so-common-in-britain/

All I know is I have an 11 year old who has had bottles thrown at him, and has been spat at in the street (he does have a disability which makes him look different, so it could be partly to do with that, or his red hair), and he is BEGGING me to dye his hair.

INeverSaidThat Sun 17-Mar-13 16:35:22

I really didn't think that 'racial abuse' could cover obnoxious comments about ginger hair. confused.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Cuddlydragon Sun 17-Mar-13 00:06:39

YANBU to think the abuse is on the rise. I'm very dark but a lot of my family and my DH are red. I'll admit to thanking my lucky stars that my little boy was born with dark hair, so he wouldn't face the casual prejudice and abuse aimed at red heads. It's the last relatively socially wide spread prejudice.

Coconutty Sat 16-Mar-13 21:43:55

Thames valley police btw, in case it makes any difference.

Coconutty Sat 16-Mar-13 21:43:09

My friend is ginger and when she had a row with her neighbour, the police were called and he called her a Ginger Bitch. The police cautioned him for racial abuse and told her if he said it again it would be taken very seriously.

Crawling Sat 16-Mar-13 21:39:11

I think its disgusting one of my three dc has strawberry blonde hair and I definetly think you should report it. I dont get it personally blonde hair is attractive because its rare but red hair is ridiculed when its even rarer confused

mum47 Sat 16-Mar-13 21:30:54

There was a "gingerist" comment to Bianca in the short Eastenders I saw was on during Comic Relief. It probably is the sort of thing the thugs would have said in the situation but it made me cringe because anything like that just highlights the hari colour to others who are watching, and it can be hard enough for some, as OP has experienced. sad

NuhichNuhaymuh Sat 16-Mar-13 12:10:36

Yoko there's plenty of negative ginger comments in Ireland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now