Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ginger mocking/abuse is it covered by any law

(117 Posts)
havingamadmoment Fri 15-Mar-13 07:05:01

I have red hair as do 3 of my 5 children. I was never bullied as a child but in the last few years especially since dc got hair(!) increasingly we are getting well abuse for it.

Just in the last few months numerous men (and its always men for some reason) have concede ex themselves with the colour of my pubic hair, one going so far as to lean out of the car window to shout this obviously important question to me and my 8 year old dd.

I have had a bottle thrown at me from the top of a bus while some twatty teenage boys rhymes random words with ginge and a man has told me that his wife would have killed herself if she had had a ginger baby.

I mean WTF I am 30 this hasn't been an issue for most of my life until the last 2 years or so - what's going on.

Seriously thinking of starting to make a fuss about it . It's not a joke anymore, I don't mind the people who say things like "won't lose them in a crowd" about my dds but the abuse that turns violent or sexual in tone is too much.

If I report it will it be taken seriously? Most people in real life seem to say that we just need to put up with it - do we?

chocoflump Fri 15-Mar-13 08:33:54

I just don't get this. Why are those with ginger hair targeted this way? I don't understand- we all have different colours of hair, surely it's no different than having black, or brown or blonde.

I'm sorry that you have been treated this way by these pathetic people. Definately report it to the police. You shouldn't have to put up with this. sad

bloodyschool Fri 15-Mar-13 08:37:56

People saying unkind things I not a crime unless it is sustained in which case it would be considered harassment
Yes it is perfectly legal to discriminate against someone with ginger hair -it is only racial or sex discrimination that is illegal..

DiseasesOfTheSheep Fri 15-Mar-13 08:46:13

I was reading the title thinking "don't be daft, there's nothing wrong with a litte friendly banter" (in the sense of "oh I'm so blond, I'm so silly" - everybody knows it's daft and it's only a joke). But actually, throwing bottles and that sort of comment is properly vile.

I thought Amy Pond had made ginger cool again anyway? Am I living in a sci fi bubble?

Umlauf Fri 15-Mar-13 08:47:26

My DH has beautiful ginger hair. I've been with him when someone threw a bottle at him from the window of a moving car (in a supposedly posh, well to do area). We've also had nasty teenagers following us swearing, saying things to me like don't I want a real man. It's so, so hurtful and I get so upset about it. Things like the South Park episode don't help matters much at all :-(

I'm pregnant and "friends" have seen fit to ask me if I'm worried it will be ginger. I really hope so, DH has incredible hair, mines just mousey.

Please report it, its hate crime and DH thinks a form of racism, its disgusting we allow it to happen. I'm so glad to read another post about the police taking it seriously, its a start.

It's just in England it seems, we've moved abroad for a couple of years and its a wonderful thing here, people love it.

Katisha Fri 15-Mar-13 08:52:07

Even Tesco saw fit to sell a Christmas card mocking ginger children a few years ago. At least it was withdrawn and a bit of publicity given to the issue.
It's an easy "laugh" for stupid people.
DS2 is very ginger and so far hasnt had too much trouble but I have taught him one or two retorts should he need them...

RaspberrySchnapps Fri 15-Mar-13 09:00:44

no advice re the law but I always think titian, strawberry blonde, red, ginger, whatever is stunning. these people who criticise are miserable pathetic bastards with the brain capacity of a potato and probably the pubes (and genitals) of a taiwan rat.

MissBrown Fri 15-Mar-13 09:02:16

I dye my hair ginger! I have mousy coloured hair naturally and find it very boring so for years I have been ginger! I love it. I don't mean a copper red or similar but a dark ginger!

My husband is also ginger and so is my cat.

I am a ginger lover!!

You are very lucky to have such a beautiful hair colour. Ignore all the silly comments and report any that go beyond.

vamosbebe Fri 15-Mar-13 09:15:20

I'm so sorry, OP, that's just awful. My sister was worried her DC would be ginger and I've no idea why.
My DS's hair started growing strawberry blonde and she made a stupid comment about it, really hurtful. I gave her a right bloody earful, I can tell you.
Luckily we live abroad and people love it - I'm aware that's not the best advice on how to avoid derogatory comments.

¡Vamos rojos!

fergoose Fri 15-Mar-13 09:17:19

I agree - it does feel like a form of racism

My daughter has ginger hair, majority of people are lovely about it, but she does get some vile comments. It has made her very tough and she has some good retorts - but even so, what if that was about skin colour. Why is hair colour any different.

I dye my hair red, but mine will never look as amazing as hers.

SherbetVodka Fri 15-Mar-13 09:22:46

The bullying at school was intolerable and I if I am honest I chose a partner with v dark brown hair/features so DS would not have to suffer like I did.

I know what you mean sad When I was pregnant with DS and found out I was having a boy, I worried that he'd have my colour hair. NOT because I think there's anything wrong with it but because I knew he'd have to take a lot of shit for it and it does seem to be far worse for males than it is for females (the abuse, that is).

Whyriskit Fri 15-Mar-13 09:23:24

So sorry OP, that is so shock. My DS2 has a fantastic bright auburn mop (he says its orange but he's only 2!). We don't know where it comes from as no one else in the family has red hair but it's great! He gets a lot of compliments from old ladies!
We're in Scotland so it is more common here but I don't think it makes the prejudice any less.

Einsty Fri 15-Mar-13 09:24:16

WTF? What is wrong with people? My grandmother had glorious red hair and I would have loved for me or my DC to have inherited it. I truly don't understand these ludicrous 'jokes' - and am appalled for you

elah11 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:31:45

I have a dd with red hair and while she has never suffered any bullying or abuse, (she is only 7), I have often heard people make general derogatory comments about red hair. I think its horrible and I dont understand why its unacceptable (rightly!) to bully/pass negative comments about someones weight or skin colour but gingers are seen as fair game. A hurtful comment is hurtful no matter what its about. I live in Ireland where red hair is reasonably common but there still seems to be a growing prejudice thats seen as somehow ok.
I will say it loud and proud for all the redsers out there I LOVE RED HAIR grin

GranToAirMissiles Fri 15-Mar-13 09:33:08

It's not like racism in so far as the targets don't share other features such as being (broadly) in the same social class, income group, etc. In other words, it's not a social category like race. It's more like bullying.

It would make a useful sociology or psychology project to don a ginger wig and record the reactions.

jellybeans Fri 15-Mar-13 09:40:01

It's disgusting so sorry you have had to suffer that. One of my DC had gingerish hair as a baby but it went blonde, I was a bit disappointed as love ginger hair .

1charlie1 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:41:59

I've been living in the UK (England) for the past 6 years, and I have been shocked at the nasty things people say about red-headed people here. From an outsiders perspective, it seems that it just an acceptable form of abuse. I've mentioned it to (English) DH many times, and he agrees. DH and I both have red-hair in the family (and tend to the auburn ourselves), and I have to say it has crossed my mind that I'm glad we will be back in my home country by the time we have DC, in case they inherit the colouring from us! (I love red hair, by the way, and would love a little red-headed DC.)

havingamadmoment Fri 15-Mar-13 10:12:11

Sorry just got back from the school run!.

I actually love my hair and my dcs hair I would never dye it. My father has red hair although he is half white now but he has also noticed an increase in nasty comments. None of us mind the silly little jokes in fact on occasion we probably make them but I think there is a line which some people seem to cross on a regular basis!.

My dh has dark brown hair and my oldest two dc have brown hair but my youngest three have red.

Next time something like this happens I will report it although not sure what good it will do as its never someone I know or even someone who comes up to me face to face its always a comment shouted or at best from a stranger who then leaves!.

FierceBadIggi Fri 15-Mar-13 10:56:26

I would think comments from strangers about pubic hair (especially in front of your dd) would count as sexual harassment, irrespective of the ginger element.

MammaTJ Fri 15-Mar-13 11:18:20

I admit, mine has gone grey, I could be any colour I want now, but dye it my original ginger.

Flobbadobs Fri 15-Mar-13 11:30:48

That's awful OP, report it every time. Whether the'ginger' part is illegal or not you have been physically assaulted. angry
My Dh has lovely ginger hair, half of my family do too and tbh I was more than a little naffed off that not one of our DC's have inherited it! We have blond, brown and light brown but no red heads sadly..

undercoverSAHM Fri 15-Mar-13 11:38:49

Unfortunately insulting someone for being red-headed it is not a hate crime in the same way as race o would be: anti-discrimination legislation covers gender, sexual orientation, race, disability and age only.

I took my DH to task the other day for making a derogatory remark about ginger hair. Personally I love red hair (but accept not everyone does). But whether you like it or not, personal abusive comments are not "funny" My DH told me I had no sense of humour and that I was personally attacking him by asking him not to do it. So I am relieved to come across this thread and find that my instinct is more in line with others than is his. I don't understand how being rude about someone's genetic personal characteristic can be funny or clever, or what the point of it could be.

Fillyjonk75 Fri 15-Mar-13 11:45:57

I hate ginger bashing, just ignorant, stupid and not funny at all. DH and SIL are red heads as are some of my closest friends. I just find the joking and sometimes out and out hatred really weird. Why do people think some hair colouring/skin colouring is superior to others? The sort of treatment the OP has been receiving is very similar to racial harassment.

ophelia275 Fri 15-Mar-13 11:55:49

I just wanted to post this link (in the Daily Mail) that celebrates red heads. Thought it would be nice to counteract all the negative comments about gingers in society in general. I personally think red hair/ginger hair is absolute gorgeous and very special.

Here is the link www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293747/Anthea-Pokroy-photographs-hundreds-flame-haired-subjects-project-celebrating-redheads-romantic-colouring.html

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Fri 15-Mar-13 13:05:52

I find this anti-'ginger' stuff that keeps cropping up again and again on here (I left the UK as a young adult and had never witnessed it myself) utterly, utterly baffling. Red hair, in all shades, is stunning, ffs.

madamecake Fri 15-Mar-13 13:16:00

My DH is ginger, and I'm pregnant. I'd love for our children to have to ginger hair, it's gorgeous, but he has said he's hoping he or she isn't just do they don't suffer the same bullying and abuse he did. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now