Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask who should pay for replacement guitar?

(175 Posts)
SoldierKatnissEverdeen Thu 14-Mar-13 18:55:33

Just want to canvass your opinions on the following situation...have tried to write the post without letting on which side I am coming from to get an unbiased opinion.

Today at school a guitar got broken. The child who owns the guitar is very upset. The child who broke the guitar is also upset. Both children are in yr 5 so aged 9 or 10.

The guitar was broken by a child doing that thing that boys do, of running, dropping to his knees and skidding. Didnt have enough control to stop himself and ended up falling forward with his full body weight on the guitar snapping it where the neck meets the body. It was a complete accident rather than a malicious act. The child apologised without any prompting.

The guitar was in the designated place, which tbh wasn't a great place. There was a teacher in the hall at the time, who didnt see it happen. I expect she was dealing with other children at the time.

The teacher does not know what the sch policy is for this type of situation and the head was unavailable.

My query to you wise lot, is who should pay for the guitar to be replaced?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 14-Mar-13 18:56:22

The parents of the child who was messing about and broke it.

bloodyschool Thu 14-Mar-13 18:58:08

Them parents of the boy who broke it.He didn't do it on purpose but he was being reckless and out of control in a room where he knew instruments were being stored

bloodyschool Thu 14-Mar-13 18:58:34

The parents , not 'them parents' lol

bloodyschool Thu 14-Mar-13 18:59:26

However just how you would get them to pay I don't know.

Euphemia France Thu 14-Mar-13 18:59:37

It was a complete accident.

No it wasn't, the child was behaving in a wholly inappropriate manner in the school. He should pay for the guitar.

So one boy was messing about and the 'designated place' does not protect it from accidental damage?

If I were the parent of the guitar owner, I'd be asking the damager and school to pay half each.

Greenkit Thu 14-Mar-13 19:00:00

The parents of the child who broke the guitar....unless the school has insurance?

The parents of the boy who broke it.

GrumpyKat Thu 14-Mar-13 19:01:26

Speak to the head. Sometimes the school will pay for it, but otherwise I would say the parents of the child ho broke it.

bloodyschool Thu 14-Mar-13 19:03:17

which party are you?

lunar1 Thu 14-Mar-13 19:05:31

If my son broke something in that situation I would replace it.

Blu Thu 14-Mar-13 19:06:01

If my child broke the guitar under those circumstances I would offer to pay immediately. If it was my child's guitar that was broken I would hope for the offer of replacement, but wouldn't be surprised if it was not forthcoming. Might then look at household insurance, or ask the school if their insurance covered it as it was one of their pupils who broke it. Also if they ask children to bring them in they should provide safe storage, perhaps.

All vey unfortunate. It's your guitar, isn't it?

BeeBopDingALing Thu 14-Mar-13 19:06:44

The parents of the boy who broke it should pay.

SoldierKatnissEverdeen Thu 14-Mar-13 19:06:56

Bloody: I will say which party I am later, I just want to see what people think first.

NomDeOrdinateur Thu 14-Mar-13 19:07:36

The school - the storage arrangements and supervision were more at fault than the 9 year old behaving like a 9 year old, IMO.

NomDeOrdinateur Thu 14-Mar-13 19:07:59

(Although I'd offer to pay, if my child broke it!)

StuntGirl Thu 14-Mar-13 19:08:19

The parents of the child who broke it.

toddlerama Thu 14-Mar-13 19:10:58

The Destroyer should pay

scurryfunge Thu 14-Mar-13 19:11:46

Is the guitar expensive enough to be insured without paying a huge excess?

Euphemia France Thu 14-Mar-13 19:12:15

the 9 year old behaving like a 9 year old, IMO

Oh come on - this is at school! Nine year-olds know that that behaviour is not acceptable! He could easily have bashed into a person rather than an inanimate object.

Viviennemary Thu 14-Mar-13 19:13:20

The parents of the child who broke it should pay for the replacement. Nevertheless, why was such behaviour allowed by the school. Do these children not know that musical instruments should be treated with care as they are expensive. Also look into any insurance coverage in place.

DoJo Thu 14-Mar-13 19:14:59

Another vote for the skidder's parents.

The parents of the boy who broke it.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 14-Mar-13 19:15:36

It was an "Avoidable" accident, it could have been avoided if the boy who broke it was being careless, hence the parents should pay for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now