To start ANOTHER one asking...

(106 Posts)
CocacolaMum Sun 10-Mar-13 12:46:38

Ok so we have heard about what your dh/dc have done for you today but what have YOU done for your Mum on this Mothers day?

I texted mine.. thankfully my sister has invited her over for dinner so my work here is done :D

QOD Sun 10-Mar-13 15:21:15

Took her out with dsis yesterday for Nandos and cinema, today is MY day!

Except I've just got in from work .... Booooo!!

Got two bottles of vino, a card and a cuppa though grin

likesnowflakesinanocean Sun 10-Mar-13 15:24:54

teetering between remembering ans crying. 4 months without mum seems an awful long time. so many flowers at the grave though, its nice she is so missed

iamabadger Sun 10-Mar-13 15:34:10

Love all these Mums who are off gallivanting around the world! Making up for all the years of soggy toast and wilted daffodils on bed no doubt grin

FreudiansSlipper Sun 10-Mar-13 15:40:16

my mum is coming over here to cook for us as i have been up most of the last 2 nights with ds

we are having a nana day in a few weeks time she does have a card and present for today though

MechanicalTheatre Sun 10-Mar-13 15:44:11

Sorry and hugs to all those who are missing their mum today.

I sent a card which she got yesterday and am currently frantically refreshing a delivery tracking site to see if the flowers I ordered have been delivered. TENSE.

wordfactory Sun 10-Mar-13 15:45:32

I sent her a card and book of poetry.

Can't visit today as DC had commitments.

I bought my mum a card and a plant which she can have inside for a while, then plant in the garden: it's what she always wants on Mother's Day. Also bought small bunches of daffs for both mine and DHs mums which I wrapped in tissue paper from the kids. Have also made a sticky toffee pudding. We're at mums now and she's cooking dinner (I did offer) and my sister is coming round later, too.

careergirl Sun 10-Mar-13 15:49:39

My mum died nearly two years ago. Just popped in the local tesco as wanted some flowers to put on her grave. All the bouquets had thanks mum on mother's day stamped on them - not appropriate for what I wanted. hmm Anyway found some "plain" ones to take up.

Moominsarehippos Sun 10-Mar-13 15:57:57

Sadly, no mum for me for almost 6 years now. I planted some chilli seeds (which we'd dried) for gramdma with DS. He sniggered when I scratched my eye (owy), then picked his nose (very owy). We looked delightful!

Pinkdaisy4 Sun 10-Mar-13 16:00:42

Ds and I popped over for tea and cake. Gave mine a lovely card and toddler ds made one for her at nursery.
No overpriced flowers exchanged though smile

StoicButStressed Sun 10-Mar-13 16:21:25

NormaStanley Hugs to you. Unbelievably (in every sense... as still can't quite believe it) my Mumma also died 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago today to be precise.

THIS - www.justgiving.com/Mumma - is my Mother's Day gift to her, as I know all she would want to do is help others, so that's what I'm trying to do, so please feel free go say hi to her and see the pics of the very 'her' things I made sure she had for her funeral. Focussing on trying to achieve HER gift to others is the SOLE thing getting me through todaysad.

But am in an agony words cannot describe.

And THIS was my eldest son's last gift to her, is just beautiful. He sang it with his acoustic guitar at her funeral on Tuesday and this is it:

https://soundcloud.com/stream

Is horrendous beyond words and my heart goes out to anyone for whom today hurts like hell. xxxx

CMP69 Sun 10-Mar-13 16:23:38

A card which may be late (bad daughter blush ), a FB message this morning and a Skype from me and DS, she lives in spain, but told her we have booked flights for may half term, which will please her more than any present, as we haven't seen her since Chrimbo!

Blankiefan Sun 10-Mar-13 16:28:13

I had her and MIL over for lunch today and am taking mum out tomorrow for a girlie day of lunch, manicures & cinema. The best bit though, was getting to tell her that I'm pregnant with my first. grin

havingamadmoment Sun 10-Mar-13 16:28:20

Dh went round to his mums with some flowers and a photograph we had printed (I was going to go but ended up staying with the kids in the house). My mum died 12 years ago but I gave her a little thought this morning when I woke up and then got on with the day with my kids. They gave me flowers, chocolates and a lie in (well i get one every sunday and dh gets one saturday!)

timidviper Sun 10-Mar-13 16:44:08

I have sent her a mug, a nice nailfile and some handcream. Will visit and take her out for lunch some day soon

ZumbaZara Sun 10-Mar-13 16:54:09

I am working today so lovely DH has driven all round the country to go to his mum then mine to deliver a card a beautiful olive wood chopping board and a very sofy hug as she is ill.

Eastpoint Sun 10-Mar-13 16:58:44

Nothing as she's dead.

I find some of the marketing emails I receive rather upsetting as the assumption is everyone has a mother for whom they need to buy gifts. If my mother had died 3 weeks ago - very sorry for your loss Norma I would find it very tough.

We sent MIL flowers which she received yesterday.

digerd Sun 10-Mar-13 17:04:36

My mum died in 1996. But we didn't do the celebrating stuff except for Xmas and Easter. Never knew when mum and dad had birthdays or wedding anniversaries when we were young as they couldn't afford to celebrate.

HSMMaCM Sun 10-Mar-13 17:07:58

I sent mine a photo collage with a central picture of her and me at my graduation.

My poor DH no longer has his mother with him, so I have tried to be sensitive to that.

My treat from DD was to take her to a dance exhibition smile

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 10-Mar-13 17:11:25

Hi stoic. My mum died 3 weeks ago tomorrow. We also have a page in her memory. Www.justgiving.com/pathall

Unmumsnetty hugs to you and yours.

Mum2Luke Sun 10-Mar-13 17:47:31

If my Mum lived closer I would be able to pop in but she lives an hour away and I just cannot afford to 'pop over' for a coffee sad

I did arrange for flowers and chocs to be sent but it just doesn't feel the same as being able to see her more often.

I hope when my older two have kids they remember this and maybe live near but they have to go where the jobs are these days

Went and had a cup of tea with my mum and nan earlier, was very nice smile
Bought my mum a DVD set, chocolates and some nice moisturiser, and got my nan a cute photo frame and some hand cream that smells of strawberry milkshake- I would have got her chocolates too, but she received about 4 tonnes of them from my mum and I thought it might be overkill!
I wish I could spoil them more, but I am poor sadgrin they seemed to be pleased though!

My Mum died when I was young, so have been thinking of her today, best Mum ever and I so wish she could see me as a mother. I look at my daughter who is now 18 and she looks so much like my Mum its scary, but lovely as well as I think she carries on somehow in a strange way.

curryeater Sun 10-Mar-13 17:59:52

sent my mum a card and chocolates to her holiday cottage - was feeling smug that I had sent them to the right place as I noted it when she was telling me the dates she was away, but then she sent me a defensive text when they arrived saying "I just wanted to let you know where we were, not dropping hints" and I KNOW GODDAMN IT! SHE WAS NOT DROPPING HINTS, the least acquisitive person in the world, of all the things that drive me NUTS, NEVER that, just wanted to be nice and send a card to the right place on the right day AGH!!!

Portofino Sun 10-Mar-13 18:10:26

My mum died when I was little but I have sent my Nan a card and some flowers. Tis not Mothers Day in Belgium til May, but dd made me a little pressie at Brownies which made me blub a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now