to think if you've just had a tooth extracted you wouldn't want to immediately drive for 1.5 hours?

(23 Posts)
RubixCube Mon 11-Mar-13 05:40:03

I've been quite a few times so remember quite well,i think even if you feel ok not to operate a car,machinery etc but like i said it will tell you all this in the aftercare leaflet you dh should recieve

RubixCube Mon 11-Mar-13 05:30:06

I don't think your supposed to drive after i can't remember for how long though but it tell you in the leaflet that you recieve

Thumbwitch Sun 10-Mar-13 23:30:06

TFM - if it were necessary for him to do the drive (and I had forgotten that it was Mother's Day there, me not being in the UK) then I'd agree it's a bit harsh. But it's not necessary - MIL could drive to them instead - OP's DH is being stubborn.

Still, enough people here have done similar and had no problem so I expect he was fine! smile

5Foot5 Sun 10-Mar-13 16:23:02

I had a back tooth out under a local a few months ago and went straight back to work after. I don't recall any drowsiness or any real pain but I had to keepf the wadding thing in my mouth for a while because of bleeding. Can't say as driving should really be a problem but I hope he isn't planning on much eating for a while....

I reacted oddly to the anaesthetic, I got really shakey and woozey. I certainly wouldn't drive after.

Dp on the other hand wouldn't be bothered.

It depends how your dh feels tbh.

gourd Sun 10-Mar-13 16:17:40

Had a back tooth removed this week. Advice was avoid exercise/cycling. Rest is good but driving shouldnt be a problem assuming no complications. I just kept gauze dressing in place for a couple of hours and took Ibuprofen about 90 mins after the extraction

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trills Sun 10-Mar-13 13:21:41

He'll probably be fine to drive there, but then later in the day when you need to drive back the anaesthetic will have worn off.

Make sure he gets some good painkillers!

Tinuviel Sun 10-Mar-13 13:15:25

I had 1 wisdom tooth out in my lunch hour and went back to work, then went out for a meal/show that evening. I was absolutely fine. The other wisdom teeth I had out a couple of years later and it was a lot more painful (but it had a funny root). I didn't drive at the time but I would have been fine to do so after the first one; not after the 2nd. So it really depends.

lljkk Sun 10-Mar-13 11:59:37

I've only had one out, it was a rotten wisdom tooth that came out easily & I would have been fine to drive immediately. I would ask for dentist advice about how rough it's going to leave him feeling.

janji Sun 10-Mar-13 11:13:24

I did a two hour drive after one and was fine apart from continually messing with my mouth cos it seemed to stay numb for ages. Dread to think what other motorists on motorway thought?!

TheSeniorWrangler Sun 10-Mar-13 11:09:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 10-Mar-13 11:08:40

I think "serves him right" is a bit harsh, considering the purpose of the journey is to visit his mother on Mothers' Day. I'd feel bad at not going, but I have to say after having a wisdom tooth removed before Christmas, I would not have wanted to do it myself. I found it a bit traumatic really. But I am a wuss...

Thumbwitch Sun 10-Mar-13 11:03:15

I wouldn't want to be doing one, and I wouldn't do it unless it was necessary.

So YANBU and if he gets a dry socket or something then it'll serve him right, won't it.

squeakytoy Sun 10-Mar-13 11:03:02

I would (and was) fine to do a few hours driving after a tooth out. The anaesthetic numbs any pain, and it didnt affect my ability to drive or get on with my day as normal.

noblegiraffe Sun 10-Mar-13 11:00:07

He's an idiot. He should be quietly resting and managing the bleeding (he might still be bleeding). He should also not be eating lunch until the anaesthetic has worn off. I had a tooth extracted and I've just checked the sheet the dentist gave me and it specifically says to rest at home for the first few hours.

FannyBazaar Sun 10-Mar-13 10:54:25

I had a tooth extracted and never had any pain or problems. I don't much like driving but IIRC I just went off to work as usual after it was done. I actually had to ask the oral surgeon to show me the tooth as I really didn't believe he had whipped it out without any trouble so quickly. Maybe I was just lucky.

If he says he'll be fine, his call.

sashh Sun 10-Mar-13 10:49:14

I did a 4 hour drive after one. The drive was planned, my tooth cracked the evening before and the dentist saw me before routine appointments.

ENormaSnob Sun 10-Mar-13 10:42:00

Just under a local?

I would say its up to the individual tbh.

BreasticlesNotTesticles Sun 10-Mar-13 10:40:21

Absolutely not, it bloody hurts!! I have had a tooth extracted and even with pain management it hurts enough to be distracting.

He needs to be at home relaxing in my opinion.

dawntigga Sun 10-Mar-13 10:35:31

what do the instructions for follow on care say? If they say it's fine to drive, drive. If not you don't go.

SimplesTiggaxx

Bumply Sun 10-Mar-13 10:33:50

I would say its down to how your DH feels. Obviously he'll be in some discomfort, but no reason not to if he's up for it.

eavesdropping Sun 10-Mar-13 10:30:46

DH is having a tooth extracted atm under a local (emergency, not planned.)

After lunch, we are due to drive to see my MIL. She lives 1.5 hours away & I don't drive, so it needs to be DH. We would be driving back home again this evening.

AIBU to think that this isn't a good idea after a tooth extraction? MIL could drive down to us - she's fit and healthy and does that a lot anyway. But DH is having none of it and says he'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now