Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the writers of "Death in Paradise" with Ben Miller

(44 Posts)
comelywenchlywoo Sun 10-Mar-13 09:03:03

Have lifted much of the concept from Rastamouse, (but made the crimes rather more serious obviously)?

GrendelsMum Mon 11-Mar-13 11:42:47

From time to time I like to imagine them 6 years in the future, solving inexplicable murders while hauling round a baby and a small child. (Camille clearly can't go on maternity leave as it would cut the Sainte Marie police force by 25%).

Things that provide endless discussion in the Grendel Household - is it more or less appropriate to wear a woolen suit or a pair of microshorts and a strappy top while interviewing suspects in the Caribbean?

Emilythornesbff Mon 11-Mar-13 13:13:14

Worryingly, I also find Richard very attractive.

LetUsPrey Mon 11-Mar-13 13:18:26

Thank goodness for that Emilythornesbff - I thought it was just me! The character has definitely become attractive (if that makes sense - couldn't think of how to express it).

I don't think I want them to get together. Not yet anyway grin

Emilythornesbff Mon 11-Mar-13 13:24:07

Yes that makes sense grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 11-Mar-13 13:24:20

DH and I didn't watch the first series, but we've seen all of this second one. It has been the viewing highlight of the winter IMO.

Gentle, amusing, clever - and interesting dialogue without there being too much talking, can't think of a better way to explain it than that.

comley - we also think of Rastamouse when we watch it, the Polic Commissioner is President Wednesleydale! grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 11-Mar-13 13:24:52

And yes I really fancy Richard too - I haven't dared mention that to DH yet, he would think I had gone mad.

pluCaChange Mon 11-Mar-13 18:16:05

Of course Richard takes off his suit! He's got a lively pair of pale blue striped jammies! grin

<Disclaimer: I don't quite fancy him, even though I understand why some of you do! Repressed men can be just adorable!>

pluCaChange Mon 11-Mar-13 18:17:43

Oops! A lovely pair of jammies, of course! No bedtime liveliness for Repressed Richard!

comelywenchlywoo Mon 11-Mar-13 20:28:21

Grendels YES!!! I'm always torn as to whether her dress is completely inappropriate for the work environment, or if I'm getting old and fuddy-duddy, and that is what a Police Officer in the Caribbean wears. Sometimes I think it's ok - others I think she looks like she's going clubbing!

Alibabaa The Police Commissioner is sooo President Wensleydale! They even look alike!

GrendelsMum Mon 11-Mar-13 20:36:00

At one point DH and I wondered whether Camille was working undercover as a tourist - every week.

Kiriwawa Mon 11-Mar-13 20:42:05

I always thought that I hated Richard for being really annoying and uptight. And then I cried when he came back at the end of the last episode blush

Kiriwawa Mon 11-Mar-13 20:42:45

And it is sheer genius to think it is based on Rastamouse grin

pluCaChange Mon 11-Mar-13 20:45:43

I thought C started out undercover (and had to snog Rupert Graves), so the clothes may be a hangover from that... ? Or she thought: I'm damned if I'm going back into uniform.

Was 't she drafted from the Paris Surete for that undercover gig? Then ol' Selwyn sleydale drafted her at the same time as Richard, or a little befire, on the grounds that sge was a local girl and the police had just lost their inspector and Crooked (Leonora) Critchlow?

GrendelsMum Mon 11-Mar-13 20:49:08

I'm also genuinely concerned about the lack of career progression for Sainte Marie-born and trained officers. What's the point in Fidel becoming a sergeant if they import people from Scotland Yard and the Surete whenever they feel like it?

Allthingspretty Mon 11-Mar-13 20:51:15

Its a french/ english production. I still have the last episode to watch. Its also a programmme i wouldnt admit to watching

MyFace Tue 12-Mar-13 06:18:01

Series one located, my extended-winter-viewing has been sorted!

sydlexic Tue 12-Mar-13 07:03:45

I knew there was a series one, as that was series two. My powers of deduction are as amazing as theirs.

It did make me laugh but could not decide if it was a spoof or serious but I have never seen Rastamouse.

comelywenchlywoo Tue 12-Mar-13 08:41:33

Well sydlexic Rastamouse is a lot like Death in Paradise, except they are mice who solve more petty crimes, whilst on roller skates. They also play reggae when the work is through rather than going for a beer at Catherine's Bar.

Apart from that, there's no difference at all wink

pluCaChange Tue 12-Mar-13 10:06:04

GrendelsMum, poor Fidel can't even sleep with the boss to be promoted!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now