to be pissed off about the house next door being converted into bedsits?

(102 Posts)
belfastbigmillie Sat 09-Mar-13 19:27:23

We live in a residential street where all the other houses are families or old people. The people next door to us sold their house but now it turns out that they sold it to builders. They are converting it into 2 studio flats (definitely without planning permission because we checked). There is only about 2 feet between their house and ours and we share a fence etc. It overlooks our garden. I'm not too happy about it. In my mind studio flats = young people/noise/ parties or single dodgy blokes. Either way it doesn't feel good to me. Can I do anything about it? Will it devalue our house? BTW we don't live in the kind of area where it will attract professional singles etc.

Maggie111 Sat 09-Mar-13 19:42:55

Oops, I meant house share! Obviously some people would like a bed share though... grin

thornrose Sat 09-Mar-13 19:44:29

I have a single bloke living in the flat above me. He is the perfect neighbour, quiet, considerate and all round lovely.
when my exp and me split he rented a studio flat, he was a kind and considerate neighbour too.
Next door I have the dreaded young people who are house sharing. They all go out to work every day and are no trouble at all.
Stop assuming that your neighbours will be awful sad

belfastbigmillie Sat 09-Mar-13 19:44:59

I will report them as they definitely don't have planning permission. We are near a student area and I would hate our area to be turned into one too.

DeepRedBetty Sat 09-Mar-13 19:45:09

I'd certainly drop them in it with the council re planning permission.

coughingbean Sat 09-Mar-13 19:45:09

I omce, recently, lived in a house converted into bedsits.
No one was noisey

thornrose Sat 09-Mar-13 19:45:43

A huge uproar about single people in a family area? God that's depressing.

AmberLeaf Sat 09-Mar-13 19:50:46

You don't get a letter about planning permission anymore. There should be a notice displayed outside the property

There would be a notice and letters sent.

Unless that has been changed very very recently.

CwtchesAndCuddles Sat 09-Mar-13 19:56:46

If work has started and they have no planing permission you need to talk to the Building Control Department at the council ASAP.

LessMissAbs Sat 09-Mar-13 19:58:09

We are near a student area and I would hate our area to be turned into one too

Do you have something against the young doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, etc of the future?

Drug addicts, ex criminals, boy racers, etc I could understand but students are fairly innocuous.

There were some boy racer types living near me until recently (I think the landlord threw them out). They were middle aged family men. The summer evenings would ruined by the whining of their souped up Subarus Impreza engines screaming as they turned the estate into a racetrack. Give me students any day.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 09-Mar-13 20:00:36

"We are near a student area and I would hate our area to be turned into one too."

So its really just snobbery.

FYI, the noisest person that I ever lived next to was a single female nurse, loud music when she was off shift and if we made a noise when she was on shift the sparks would fly.

The second was a 60 year old buddhist
who chanted "Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo" then hit a huge bell.

zwischenzug Sat 09-Mar-13 20:02:24

Yes it's a disgraceful, fancy housing being created affordable to young people?? It's bad enough that house prices have only tripled in the last 15 years, there are still some young people who can afford housing.

We should ensure they have nowhere to live, like the rest of us did when we were young.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 09-Mar-13 20:03:38

"Students are fairly innocuous". Hahahahahahaha. Multiple occupancy houses full of teenagers are not innocuous. If you think that then you have either never lived in a student area or are uncommonly tolerant. To the point of being oblivious to your surroundings.

thornrose Sat 09-Mar-13 20:05:41

I thought it was 2 studio flats? When did it become a house full of teenagers?

We used to live in a street where one of the semi detached houses a few doors down from us was converted into two one-bed flats.
Quite a 'poor' area, certainly not one to attract young professionals, nor students.
Instead one flat was inhabited by the loveliest young couple you could wish to meet, friendly, neighbourly, pleasant.
And the other flat by a dear old gentleman.

Neither were noisy, neither had loud parties. That fell to the inhabitants of the three bed semi-detached houses.

I would rather have been attached to the two flats!!

Xiaoxiong Sat 09-Mar-13 20:07:50

ROAR at Boney's buddhist neighbour from hell and the huge bell going BOOONNNNGGG every 10 seconds through the wall grin

Xiaoxiong Sat 09-Mar-13 20:11:17

But seriously, conversion into 2 studio flats can't be a noisy party house because there's not enough space! And students often can't afford to rent their own flats, they'll be in halls or in shared flats/houses.

If it wasn't converted but rented as a 3 bed house to sharing students, then I concede you might have a problem (remembering own student days...)

digerd Sat 09-Mar-13 20:11:23

The planning dept have downsized their work load and many alterations don't need permission now. If the work has begun even if planning permission wasn't applied for, I don't think the planning dept will be bothered.

But do contact them anyway, and let us know what happens.
Good Luck

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 09-Mar-13 20:12:52

In my street of nine houses (HA) there's me and my ds, a single mum and her ds and a couple with a little girl.
All the other houses are single dodgy blokes (though one's grown up daughter has just moved in) ranging in age from 25 to early 70's.
They're always there if I need to borrow tobacco a cup of sugar, or help me out with anything if I need to ask.
What an odd POV you have, Op.

I lived in a studio flat when I was younger, I can assure you not every person who lives in one is noisy.

Do you know for sure they are Turing it into flats? They could just be reworking the internal space. It's a common thing to rip out stairs to put them in a better position. Have never watched under the hammer??

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 20:13:15

Years back, our next door neighbour attempted a conversion into flats without benefit of planning permission or building regs. The whole thing would have been a death trap in the event of fire (or any sort of use really) and all changes were forced to be ripped out.

AgentZigzag Sat 09-Mar-13 20:20:36

Maybe they'll turn out to be them there Foreigners I've heard about? shock

Someone fan me with the Daily Wail I'm feeling a bit faint.

LessMissAbs Sat 09-Mar-13 20:23:23

"Students are fairly innocuous". Hahahahahahaha. Multiple occupancy houses full of teenagers are not innocuous. If you think that then you have either never lived in a student area or are uncommonly tolerant

Funnily enough I have. What with having an education behind me and everything.

And after I finished being a student, what with having cut the parental strings and not being an heiress and all, I lived in the dreaded shared flat full of young professionals in a similar position.

I never realised cities containing a mix of demographics was considered so beyond the pail!

I have never understood this. You have children. Unless you are millionaires they are going to have to live somewhere before they buy a house, even if they can. I can't stand NIMBYism.

RoseandVioletCreams Sat 09-Mar-13 20:25:37

If they do them up nicely you may not have a problem, its when they do them really basically that may attract potential problems, we have some on our road, we have frequent stabbings, fighting, noise problems, urinating everywhere! Rubbish they dont give a shit, hardly makes it into the bin. etc etc etc. Its been an utter nightmare. sad angry.

kim147 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:35:06

I lived in a shared house in my 30s. To be fair, I think there were times when certain members of our house (who really enjoyed alcohol) were a pain to live next to in summer despite me asking her to turn down the music.

I think my housemate thought I was a bit boring but I used to live next to noisy neighbours and hated it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now