to state 'Happily married people do not update facebook very often''

(77 Posts)
sosooootired Fri 08-Mar-13 20:53:47

i am sick and tired of all my smug f-in fb 'friends' constantly haring how f-ing 'happy' they are...
i don't believe the half of it...i am sat home on a friday night looking at fb because my fucker of a 'dh' is a..well whole other i know that if i was as deliriously happy as they all reckon they are i would be nowhere near fb.

Tee2072 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:22:55

Not really. To each their own. I'm very much a live and let live kind of person. They aren't hurting anyone, are they?

And I have been known to text my husband from upstairs rather than shout down. Not that much different, actually.

TheSeniorWrangler Fri 08-Mar-13 21:23:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Snazzynewyear Fri 08-Mar-13 21:24:11

<shuffles off to get another drink and post bitterly on Twitter>

lockets Fri 08-Mar-13 21:25:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

My DH works nights sometimes, I'm normally on Fb then.

I can't abide the 'I'm so happy with my man I love you so much ***' stuff that a friend punts out every day on Fb, that just shrieks insecurity IMO.

sosooootired Fri 08-Mar-13 21:29:48

snazzy i have fb friends like you mentioned..i also have food photographers, and view from my window and front door...i want to SCREAM i know you live on the side of a mountain in switzerland, brown whatever in brooklyn yes i'm jealous - is that enough? now f-off
top of pile for irritants today is also vegan yoga teacher, she bakes a lot, meditates, makes awesome clothes etc and shares it all..she also juices, raw foods and of course looks 5yrs younger and 2 stone slimmer than me grin so happy for her..thanks for taking photos evry 2 mins luv

maddening Fri 08-Mar-13 21:33:13

It is possible to fb from your phone in the pub.

if it upsets you hide them.

Tee2072 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:34:18

Ah, so it's jealousy that your life is less than you want it to be, then?

Do you wish your husband/partner told the whole world how much he/she loves you? Is that the problem?

Perhaps if you posted it about him/her they would do the same back.

Hulababy Fri 08-Mar-13 21:37:33

I am very happily married. I use FB a fair bit on and off, though I don't ever post things like "madly in love and happy with dh" type things.
I probably post other stuff that hacks some people off but hey, they can block or delete me if they want!

changeforthebetter Fri 08-Mar-13 21:43:36

Oh live and let live. Maybe they're deluded, maybe it's true. You can hide posts from people you find particularly grating.

Tee I wonder if you are my ex-next door neighbour (strokes chin meaningfully)

sosooootired Fri 08-Mar-13 21:46:16

haha - yes i must be jealous..of their sweet happy love..that they keep posting about not making...
that's the point - it smells of bollocks - i've obviously been deliriously happy at times and writing it up on fb is just not what happens when you're in that state..
therefore people who are filling up my 'feed' with rapture and declarations are probably as miserable about love as me right cut the pretence i say
all the people who have attested to their happiness have confirmed that they don't actually brag about it in fb posts--its just not what truly loved up people do

Tee2072 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:46:36

I doubt it, change. Since I've only lived in a house for 18 months and my neighbours haven't changed in that time.

Before that we lived in a flat, so only one floor.

ChestyLeRoux Fri 08-Mar-13 21:50:21

op you need to make yourself happy instead of being down and hoping everyone else is as miserable.

mrsjay Fri 08-Mar-13 21:52:57

ach people update from their phones they dont sit arm in arm all night do they they can be happy but online grin saying all that I know somebody who has a terrible relationship keeps taking him back he beats her she throws him out falls out with her friends about taking him back , but atm she is so happy with her man and her little family hmm

sosooootired Fri 08-Mar-13 21:53:49

i'm not down or miserable chestyroux - don't sweat about me grin

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 08-Mar-13 21:54:46

I divided what anyone posts on facebook about their "fabulous lives" by at least four.

I agree with you OP. Next week is my tenth wedding anniversary. I will not be posting "Thank you for ten wonderful years and our two beautiful children" on Facebook because I fucking live with him and I can say it to his face! Also he'd rather have a shag than a Facebook declaration of shite grin

Snazzynewyear Fri 08-Mar-13 22:04:34

Badgers Exactly - the kind of people I am talking about on Twitter do exactly this to one another. Then one of them will retweet whatever thing the partner said to them for all their followers to enjoy. hmm This is while they are sitting in the same house, probably room.

CitizenOscar Fri 08-Mar-13 22:06:31

My friend did this - loveydovey messages about and to her DP on FB when I KNEW they'd been having serious troubles. Made me really uncomfortable reading them, especially when other people commented with "aw, sweet" and suchlike. Went on for a year. They're splitting up.

Hulababy Fri 08-Mar-13 22:09:12

Some people just really are very public in their affection ime - in person, on FB, wherever.
Some other people are very private about their relationships.
Most people are somewhere in between.

They may really mean it when they post it. Or they may be deluding themselves. Does it really matter to us reading it though?

Oh and yes - dead easy to post on FB within a matter of seconds, esp if on a mobile app.

I might have a good relationship but we are not surgically attached and need to spend every minute together. I can multi task even!!!

(Still don't write gushing FB statuses though - just other stuff)

mrsjay Fri 08-Mar-13 22:11:57

\i dont gush on FB i find it a bit bleurgh maybe I hate my husband wink

Fakebook Fri 08-Mar-13 22:12:54

I hate the spousal birthday messages:

"Happy birthday to my best friend, my soul mate, my love, my life, my everything. I am so happy you are in my life and I cherish the day I met you and am thankful you're the last thing I see at night and first thing I see in the morning. Not many people can say their best friend and soulmate is their husband/wife, but I can! Dear x I love you more everyday and thank you so much for the beautiful children you've given me, I will be eternally grateful for the joy you have bought to my life. Words cannot express my love for you. Everyday I will try to be a better husband/wife just how you are for me........"

And so on... <barfs>

mrsjay Fri 08-Mar-13 22:15:33

>>hands fakebook a sick bag that is truly awful grin

colleysmill Fri 08-Mar-13 22:18:25

I don't really mind the happy posts but Im not keen on the recent wave of photo uploads of corresponding spouses in their undies with captions "my fit hubby/wifey phroahh"

We might be friends but I draw the line at seeing them in their undies. I am well aware this probably makes me a prude but just no thanks

Snazzynewyear Fri 08-Mar-13 22:18:31

Exactly, why wouldn't you write that in a card if you really meant it? Putting it on FB makes it looks like it's there basically to display your affections to an audience rather than express them to your partner. I don't have a problem with showing affection but not as a public performance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now