Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is it illegal to promote homosexuality in schools?

(93 Posts)
Reality Fri 08-Mar-13 10:21:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Sun 10-Mar-13 20:40:39
BarbarianMum Sun 10-Mar-13 19:38:01

<<I thought that "homo" in the word "homosexual" was ancient greek for "same, equal, like, similar, common; one and the same" rather than than the latin meaning "man".>>

That's true I believe. Same root as 'homogenous'

TiggyD Sun 10-Mar-13 14:12:52

There is a problem with going to the school/governors. How will it affect your relationship with them?
I worked somewhere where there was a problem with X.
I went through the proper channels telling management about X.
After no response from them I went to Ofsted about X.
It was very obvious to the managers who had gone to Ofsted and they were really pissed of with me and I felt I had to leave. Looking back on it, I would have been better off just going straight to Ofsted.

ChairmanWow Sun 10-Mar-13 13:44:55

The part you have highlighted is terrible. Not just the refusal to discuss gay/lesbian sex but also the referral back to parents. School should be a place where children can explore ideas and get information in a safe forum away from home. Clearly there are exceptions (the sharing of information which suggests abuse for example), but what their policy means is that if a young person asks about gay sex their parents are told. The right to come out to your family at a time of your choosing is extremely important. This is the school 'outing' curious kids, potentially.

Also: Schools are legally bound not to engage in teaching which promotes, advocates or represents homosexual behaviour as the ‘norm’, and the legal aspects must be emphasised. Definitely a hangover from section 28. There is no such legal restriction on schools. Plus the fact that there has been such a lengthy debate on the meaning of 'norm' and 'normal' on here means that this is open to misinterpretation and abuse in real life.

I would definitely be taking this up because whoever has drafted these policies seems to me to have some issues. Is the school still under LEA control? You could always take it further if the head won't deal with this.

Yes, it is, really. Why?

kim - true. It'd be good to lose the focus on 'everybody wants sex all the time' anyway, but maybe schools already do this.

ReallyTired Sun 10-Mar-13 13:21:31

I thought that "homo" in the word "homosexual" was ancient greek for "same, equal, like, similar, common; one and the same" rather than than the latin meaning "man".

wordquests.info/cgi/ice2-for.cgi?file=/hsphere/local/home/scribejo/wordquests.info/htm/L-Gk-homo-Ha-Ho.htm&HIGHLIGHT=generations

I realise the word "homosexual" is not in that list.

Prehaps its simpler to talk about same sex and different sex relationships than use the word "homosexual". Children do not need detail of what is sexually possible between two people, what is important is for them to realise that they have the right to say "no" and should respect anyone else who says "no".

kim147 Sun 10-Mar-13 13:13:26

As an aside, I think it's also important to mention some people are asexual. Society has such a focus on sex and relationships that people who are asexual seem to be forgotten.

And gay men are not the only kind of homosexuals.

(Though you wouldn't know this from the sex ed I got, in an all-girls school! confused)

TiggyD Sun 10-Mar-13 13:06:11

And Hetrosexualists can have anal sex.

MooncupGoddess Sun 10-Mar-13 12:55:01

Can you write politely to the governors for clarification? Try referencing the Equalities Act and see what they say.

"the specific nature of homosexual sex should not be discussed" - this is weird and, as you say, concerning. Also, odd, as lots of gay men don't have anal sex anyway (which is what I assume it's referring to).

That sounds really dodgy. Poor children. They're going to feel as if they've asked something horrible that shouldn't be talked about. sad

Reality Sun 10-Mar-13 12:47:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Sun 10-Mar-13 12:29:31

Messages schools give off are very important to children - as I said upthread, the hidden curriculum plays a massive role in what children see as "typical" - and it can be distressing if they do not see themselves or their families recognised in some way. Schools give off messages all the time - when they talk about famous scientists, people in history and when they read stories or put posters up.

Tiggy has made the clear point - when most people say "normal", there is a clear meaning if what children think normal means. Language is important - and schools will have to get used to the fact that families come in many different and varied types and they should not judge or put down the family type because of what the school or teacher thinks.

ReallyTired Sun 10-Mar-13 12:26:38

I haven't read the entire, but I do not want my children to be encouraged to have sex! End of!

If two people have sex then they need to be responsible for each other's sexual health. This applies to both homosexual and hetrosexual relationships. Children are a huge and life changing responsiblity and its important that children realise this.

I hope that schools teach chidlren that everyone deserves respect and that familes come in all different shapes and sizes.

Snoopingforsoup Sun 10-Mar-13 12:23:27

Is it a faith school? I would imagine they're likely to get away with that sort of crap...

And, btw, I completely agree with tiggy, that is the practical side of it that we get to when we've stopped quibbling about language. A small child is only going to understand the colloquial implications of 'not normal', and he or she is going to be upset.

Cote, this is an internet forum. None of us can see each other. That is why we are typing. smile

'They' is the third person plural, often used to refer to a group of people. smile

TiggyD Sun 10-Mar-13 11:51:24

The school in question says it combats bullying, but if a child says "Billy has 2 Dads! That's not normal is it?" in class, what can the teacher say? According to their policy the teacher has to say "No, it's not normal".

Poor Billy.

BoffinMum Sun 10-Mar-13 11:16:59

The only thing I am aware of schools promoting is not to take having children too lightly and to be aware four hands are a lot better than two from a domestic labour point of view in child rearing terms. Pretty uncontroversial. They also promote anti bullying and anti DV in relationships, safe sex and good communication in relationships. This all applies in a lot of contexts, of course.

CoteDAzur Sun 10-Mar-13 10:18:46

Who is "they", LRD?

Can you see them now?

bangwhizz Sat 09-Mar-13 21:41:34

'The norm' is exactly the same as saying 'normal' in the context'

.. no it isn't unless you have a very poor grasp of the English Language.'The norm' is a singular thing whilst lots of things might be considered normal

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 09-Mar-13 20:35:25

How can you promote homosexuality?

TiggyD Sat 09-Mar-13 20:34:38

Sounds like a hangover from Section 28.

So they have to teach children of parents in a same sex relationship that their parents aren't normal. Hmm. How is that not discriminatory and how will it stop bullying?

'The norm' is exactly the same as saying 'normal' in the context. And you're dreadfully naive if you don't think the general usage of 'normal' in society is anything other than a judgement.

They do, though, cote - that's why people find 'normal' a poor term to use in this context, I think. I'm certainly not accusing the OP of saying any such thing, just explaining why 'normal' isn't the most helpful term to use in the context of sexuality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now