Is it illegal to promote homosexuality in schools?

(93 Posts)
Reality Fri 08-Mar-13 10:21:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eebahgum Fri 08-Mar-13 11:11:28

Ha ha fierce bad Iggy!

LazyMonkeyButler Fri 08-Mar-13 11:11:30

Is there any need to "promote" any form of sexuality at all? People are what they are, anyone who is homosexual is unlikely to have made a choice to be so, due to positive promotion. Likewise, if you are heterosexual that is just the way you are - no promotion necessary. We are not choosing a washing powder.

As far as I can see, all a primary school needs to be doing on the subject is reinforcing the fact that different relationships/homelives are equally "normal" and valid. Not promoting anything above anything else.

OxfordBags Fri 08-Mar-13 11:12:54

(Second part of my above comment not directed at EehBahGum, btw, but in general)

OxfordBags Fri 08-Mar-13 11:14:18

Lazy, no, no sexuality needs to be specifically 'promoted', but these things are cleverly worded to mask the fact that they actually want homosexuality to appear to not exist, or be seen as abnormal, immoral or whatever, if it is to be discussed.

Reality Fri 08-Mar-13 11:14:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eebahgum Fri 08-Mar-13 11:15:26

Sorry for the bad choice of words Oxford. I was trying to disagree with Scotty but clearly didn't do it very well. I meant that homophobia doesn't need to be displayed through actions - an attitude or opinion is still homophobic.

FierceBadIggi Fri 08-Mar-13 11:17:43

I think you might be misunderstanding what Eehbahgum meant? I took it to mean homophobia didn't have to refer to actual acts of discrimination, but included attitudes as well.
But I'm sure she can explain for herself!

FierceBadIggi Fri 08-Mar-13 11:18:18

X+posts!

MidniteScribbler Fri 08-Mar-13 11:18:21

I think that it would have to depend on the incident in question and it can be all in the wording. We would never "promote" a particular lifestyle in our school - eg "Be gay kids, it's da bomb!", but likewise we wouldn't promote a heterosexual lifestyle, or any other form of lifestyle either. That's not part of my job as a teacher. We do teach that all families are "normal" and may be made up differently, but in no way would make judgements on which is "better".

kim147 Fri 08-Mar-13 11:21:01

The thing is though - you have the hidden curriculum. Schools give off a lot of messages through stories, posters and what just what they say which makes hetersexuality "normal" - ideally a married family but that's getting better.

Gay children have said that they don't see themselves represented in school through the hidden curriculum - in exactly the same way children from BME backgrounds don't see themselves in the curriculum.

The hidden curriculum sends a very powerful message to children about "normal".

I don't think anyone actually does 'promote' homosexuality. A lot of effort goes in to promoting particular versions of heterosexuality though. The hidden curriculum is a big issue, but so are stances like Kent county council's which insist that church sanctioned heterosexuality (I.e. marriage and nuclear families) must be promoted at all costs. And the costs of the aggressive promotion of heterosexuality in society are very problematic indeed.

kim147 Fri 08-Mar-13 11:49:07

This is an interesting report on the experience of gay children in schools.

www.stonewall.org.uk/documents/school_report_2012.pdf

BarbarianMum Fri 08-Mar-13 11:55:06

OP I would not be a happy zebra if I saw that wording in my school's policies.

For all those suggesting that it is not the place of schools to 'promote' lifestyles, aren't you just a little bit suspicious that it is this lifestyle in particular that the school is specifically stating it won't promote?

I always found the language described here odd...

"Promoting" homosexuality gives me images of teachers saying "Being gay is great! Give it a try younglings!"

And being "in favour" or "agreeing" is odd as well...

I am very much in favour of giraffes as well as it goes....they have 45cm long black tongues...that's pretty awesome.

OxfordBags Fri 08-Mar-13 12:00:14

Ah, sorry, EehBahGum, I was a bit WTF as it didn't seem to tally with other things you've written blush

Greensleeves Fri 08-Mar-13 12:00:43

Unless the are handing out cupcakes with "Get Your Gay On!" in pink icing, I wouldn't worry that a school was actively promoting homosexuality

but I do expect the teachers to leave their personal prejudices aside and ensure that children know homosexual relationships/same sex parents/any other kind of legal relationship/family set-up is fine and normal and nothing to get excited about.

lrichmondgabber Fri 08-Mar-13 12:08:19

to promate maybe. But not to explain it to older children

Yannah2006 Fri 08-Mar-13 12:20:13

I think their wording of the policy is awful. It's a bit ambiguous. I'm not sure about the legality of it i'm afraid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoERKjk58c

Some of you might find this interesting. It was posted by the Coalition for Equal Marriage fb page. This man is the most unbelievable gitbag....

Eebahgum Fri 08-Mar-13 12:33:53

No problem Oxford. Just off to bake some "get your gay on" cupcakes! smile

TheFallenNinja Fri 08-Mar-13 12:39:27

Schools should stick to the 3rs over and above everything.

Promotion of any one thing over another is bad in my view.

FierceBadIggi Fri 08-Mar-13 12:45:42

Remember that when your dcs are being bullied Ninja, no time must be spent promoting an anti-bullying, respectful culture at the school.

bangwhizz Fri 08-Mar-13 12:56:57

But being gay is NOT the norm is it?

kim147 Fri 08-Mar-13 13:01:04

It's your normal if you're gay.

BarbarianMum Fri 08-Mar-13 13:02:54

It is not the modal sexuality bangwhizz but it is normal. Just like green eyes are less common than brown or blue.

motherinferior Fri 08-Mar-13 13:03:18

IT's the norm to have a significant number of lesbian and gay people around, yes. For a number of those children, their norm will be gay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now