To no understand taking your dc(s) to school wearing your pyjamas?

(136 Posts)
MolotovCocktail Fri 08-Mar-13 09:22:25

I don't get it.

I don't mean a one-off: I've seen it happen quite a few times.

Maybe it's more a reflection on me, as I'm just about okay being seen without make-up. I see myself as a representative of my DD and I'd rather be late than take her in wearing my dressing gown. I'd also feel an utter dickhead.

I understand being pushed for time and the priority getting your dc(s) washed and dressed but, still. Why not just put some jogging bottoms and a top on? Why wear fleecy pjs?

AIBU?

Hulababy Fri 08-Mar-13 13:50:32

Not seen anyone dressed in PJs or onsies at DD's school or my school; fortunately not the trend round here - phew!

I just don't "get" it at all. What's so hard to drag on some clothes?
Even when really really ill and had to pop out such as to GPs or hospital I have always changed into proper clothes.

Love my PJs in the house but out, no way!

Tubegirl Fri 08-Mar-13 13:56:44

Some schools have banned this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8526732/Schools-ban-parents-from-wearing-pyjamas-at-drop-off.html
I think they are right to. It sets a very poor example.
Tescos have also banned it too -

Tubegirl Fri 08-Mar-13 13:56:59

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8484116.stm
sorry posted too soon!

likesnowflakesinanocean Fri 08-Mar-13 13:58:57

the only place i would venture to with pjs on is the recycling bins outside the door. no chance would i be going to school in my pjs.

Tubegirl Fri 08-Mar-13 13:58:58
LaQueen Fri 08-Mar-13 14:00:17

Ick hmm

Really don't get this. I have to get showered and dressed, every morning before leaving the house, else I just feel grubby and disorganised for the rest of the day.

Even when really ill, I still get a shower, and put clean PJs on, then get back in bed.

But, then I'm a highly organised, methodical type person with high standards of personal appearance etc. I have set routines for doing stuff, and I'm quite keen on pigeon-holing everything.

I have observed that the type of person who can cheerfully roll out of bed, and straight up the road to school...probably isn't that black&white, and probably don't experience an unpleasant sensations (even if just inside their head) of feeling grubby and disorganised, if wearing PJs on school-run, because their whole lives are probably a lot more random, and more blurred around the edges than mine is.

They're probably perfectly happy to waive a shower that morning (or even that day), and prefer an extra few minutes snuggled up in bed, or having an extra cup of tea.

ZZZ I've seen it in Walmart in Canada. More than once. It is not just the Brits. I have only seen it once at school drop off and that was a woman who I think may have been depressed. She did it for a few months then she was there in clothes looking a lot brighter and better.

seeker Fri 08-Mar-13 14:04:05

grin

Yep- showered and dressed-after wading round in horse poo. Not before.

Hmm, I think there is certain situations where it's ok, my sister for instance when very pregnant with her Dd2 she was really unwell, and her DP worked and we couldn't get to her to help for various reasons, she used to get up and stick a huge coat over her pjs (which could have passed for yoga pants and tshirt) and take dn1 to school then come home and literally collapse until it was home time.

However, I do a little cringe to see groups of young women/men shopping in Tesco in pjs and dressing gowns, even if you're going to not get dressed into outside clothes, surely you'd cover up with a jumper/coat rather than dressing gown no?

ladymariner Fri 08-Mar-13 14:06:39

I hate to see it, it just looks slovenly and slobbish to me. Nothing nicer than fresh, clean pyjamas after your bath to laze around in at night but the thought of going outside in them is just completely alien, why would you?

seeker Fri 08-Mar-13 14:08:41

Just interested- how oould you tell whether my trackies and t shirt/sweatshirt depending on weather were pyjamas or not?

ladymariner Fri 08-Mar-13 14:10:00

Depends if they're those hideous pink fluffy things with penguins on, seeker which I saw the other day walking through town.......

YANBU. It is lazy, end of discussion.

seeker Fri 08-Mar-13 14:13:40

Tell me I'm lazy when you've mucked out three horses by 8.30am............!

TheSeniorWrangler Fri 08-Mar-13 14:14:43

i have only ever left my house in my pjs once.. it was an early sunday morning and the milk had gone off.. so i drove to the corner shop in my pjs and trainers.

Other than that, if i know i'm going to go home and clean or shower after the school run, then i will just throw joggers and t-shirt on.

I wouldnt go out in my pjs, even though i have a couple of pairs of pj bottoms that i dont sleep in, i doss around in them of an evening when i want to chill!

Catchingmockingbirds Fri 08-Mar-13 14:14:44

Yanbu, I've seen a few parents at school in their jammies (one parent had little sleeping santas on her jammy bottoms seeker, they were definitely not trackies), and my neighbour always walks her dogs in her jammies. I don't understand it, is it really that much of an effort to shove a pair of jeans on?

One time I saw a mum walking to school to pick up their dc at 3pm in their jammies and a pair of high heels...

ladymariner Fri 08-Mar-13 14:24:23

Jamie's and high heels.....ooh, you really can't buy class, can you? wink

ladymariner Fri 08-Mar-13 14:25:03

Jamie's? Hahaha, they maybe were but I meant jammies.......x

BambieO Fri 08-Mar-13 15:42:47

seeker I think the difference is you are clever enough to disguise your pj's as they are actual clothes, rather than some who might parade about in a full on set of printed/patterned pj's

Therefore other children etc would consider you 'dressed' anyway rather than looking at you and seeing an actual pair of pjs.

I would happily nip to the shop for milk etc having gotten up (brushed my teeth etc) in tracksuit bottoms I have been lazing around in but wouldn't do the same in my actual pyjamas IYSWIM

Schooldidi Fri 08-Mar-13 17:59:18

bangwhizz you think my mum was rude to ask, the parents she asked thought it was a fair question. Nobody was offended. I think it's possibly to do with the relationship you have with somebody, and the way you ask the question.

NotInGuatemalaNowDrRopata Fri 08-Mar-13 18:07:37

Disgusting behaviour. I would judge, judge, judge, do the whole cat's bum mouth, hard stare, everything.

LaQueen, are you Anthea Turner?

Tubegirl Fri 08-Mar-13 18:37:47

Is there scope for a sliding scale here from 1 (hardly worth judging) which might include trackies/yogawear to 10 (hard stares, loud tutting, catsbummouths, conversations stopped midflow, resolutions to write to governor and get offending parent named and shamed) which might be applied to say zebraprint onesies and fluffy slippers? Would we consider spot prizes for the most glam pjs? Do we make allowances if Pjs clearly good quality/boden?

noddyholder Fri 08-Mar-13 19:40:07

I did it no one batted an eyelid and ds has many friends as do I! No one has ever mentioned it and we are all still friends. People who did judge would have been amazed at the pyjama clad woman when she got home to a spotless super organised grown up house grin

cozietoesie Fri 08-Mar-13 20:03:16

It's a revelation to me that people actually wear zebraprint, penguin or pink spotted onesies and fluffy slippers - albeit in the privacy of their own homes.

everlong Fri 08-Mar-13 20:18:38

It's effing trampy. I don't what your situation there is no excuse to go to school in your pj's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now