Not to have very much sympathy for Vicky Price

(35 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 07-Mar-13 17:10:21

What on earth did she think was going to happen if she grasses up dear Chris - isn't it obvious to most people that she should have realised she had also committed an offence? wasn't she insulting our intelligence to suggest it was marital coercion?

carabos Fri 08-Mar-13 07:49:30

They have been revealed as quite the most revolting pair since Neil and Christine Hamilton IMO.

He tried to make her take the blame, she tried to make some innocent staffer who can't drive take the blame. They aborted their legitimately conceived child because it was inconvenient to their careers and then almost did the same thing again later.

He was sexually incontinent and she's a shrieking harpy who is still trying to drag other people (the Cables and Miriam Clegg) into it even now.

They deserve everything that's coming to them.

The most worrying thing of all is that this man came within a whisper of winning the LibDem leadership which would have made him Dep PM and in a position of extraordinary influence. His XW was headed for the Lords and is someone whose advice could change the economic landscape for all of us. These people impact all of our lives, which is terrifying.

MummytoKatie Fri 08-Mar-13 07:49:10

My guess at the beginning of it all is that they would both be found guilty, he would get 6 months and her six months suspended.

I think I still predict that.

Not a lot of sympathy though. It was obviously all about revenge......

Sugarice Fri 08-Mar-13 07:24:42

She was massively arrogant to think she wouldn't get a custodial sentence.

It's all well and good wanting to take the ex out but self preservation and all that should have been at the top of her list when she thought of the pro's and cons.

I still sympathise with her though.

sashh Fri 08-Mar-13 07:02:23

I think prison for crimes like this is ridiculous.

For attempting to pervert the course of justice?

ComposHat Fri 08-Mar-13 01:45:09

No sympathy whatsoever for either of them. She wanted vengeance but was either too arrogant or too stupid to realise that she could only get that by grassing herself up in the process. I am utterly convinced that if he'd not left her, she'd have happily kept her mouth shut about the points.

There seems no justification for a defence of marital coercion in 2013. Especially as it is a defence that can't be used by unmarried women, men, or gay and lesbian spouses. As Joshua Rozenberg points out in the Guardian the defence of duress seems to cover cases where people were forced to break the law on behalf of others.

Charlesroi Thu 07-Mar-13 23:22:50

Was it a Pryce worth paying?

Or The Pryce is Wrong?

No sympathy whatsoever. She was caught red-handed trying to stitch up her ex and, as an leader in her field of something-or-other, should not have expected the court to believe such horse shit.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 07-Mar-13 23:22:50

Yanbu. A pretty much inevitable outcome.

Cherriesarelovely Thu 07-Mar-13 23:06:15

Yes, it would please, I did think that when she described the way he gave her the papers already with her name on.

PleasePudding Thu 07-Mar-13 22:50:14

The one thing I sympathise with her for is that Huhne had already said that she was driving the car so then to not take the points on she would have had to actually accuse him of perjury. That would be a difficult thing to do to a husband.

However they are both pretty horrible so no YANBU.

Cherriesarelovely Thu 07-Mar-13 22:49:10

I agree with that Sanity. That makes me cross too. I very much doubt that most people would not realise it was perjury! Several journalists have suggested that they have been very unfortunate because "this is what we all do or have thought of doing"!! I bloody haven't!

Cherriesarelovely Thu 07-Mar-13 22:47:20

I think they have both been very foolish and dishonest, him more so than her plus his arrogance for months and months where her denied it and denied it and tried to get it chucked out of court etc. I am glad that they have both been convicted but I don't think either of them ought to go to prison. I think prison for crimes like this is ridiculous. It's not as if either of them are dangerous. Instead I think they ought to be doing some substantial, challenging community service.

SanityClause Thu 07-Mar-13 22:42:41

I was quite cross because I heard Polly Toynbee on the radio saying that it was hard for Vicky Pryce because most people wouldn't realise that doing what she did was perjury.

What is the saying? Ignorance of the law is no defence.

LessMissAbs Thu 07-Mar-13 22:41:07

She must have been under horrendous pressure and stress and, like many people, it affected her decision-making. She is paying a very heavy price. Some people do far worse and virtually get away with it. I feel a great deal of sympathy for her.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Thu 07-Mar-13 22:34:39

I believe she initially tried to suggest that it was another (wholly innocent) party who took the points, not her.
Nice lady.

thezebrawearspurple Thu 07-Mar-13 22:30:23

No sympathy, how could she be so stupid/blinded by lust for revenge to think that her own lawbreaking would be ignored? Idiot.

LadyPessaryPam Thu 07-Mar-13 21:19:31

njoyResponsibly I agree. I am siding with her though. Her ex was an absolute bastard. Lets not quite lose sight of sisterly solidarity people.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 07-Mar-13 18:49:54

YANBU.

She clearly never got the memo that revenge is a dish best served without a custodial sentence for oneself.

Vengeful scorned woman antics haven't go her anywhere good have they.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 07-Mar-13 18:47:51

quite cross

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 07-Mar-13 18:47:38

This marital coercion nonsense actually makes me quick cross.

HillBilly76 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:44:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Uppermid Thu 07-Mar-13 18:38:01

Nope, no sympathy here.

EnjoyResponsibly Thu 07-Mar-13 18:37:22

A curse on both their houses.

And I want our tax £ back.

sad for their children though.

coatonarack Thu 07-Mar-13 18:36:27

Was it a Pryce worth paying?

God I'm good. I blame the rioja.

coatonarack Thu 07-Mar-13 18:32:34

Yes, what was she THINKING???? So girls, hell hath no fury etc etc, but it's not worth it if you end up in the clink. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Like porridge.

Hey, I should be a red-top sub!

Bowlersarm Thu 07-Mar-13 18:32:03

YANBU. It would have been wrong for her to get away with it. In her hurry to have revenge on straying Chris she just didn't think through the consequences for herself. I don't believe for a minute she thought she would have to serve a jail sentence herself whilst hoping that he would.

I think you'll find though, OP, that a lot of people won't agree with us and will have huge amount of sympathy for her. (On MN anyway, not sure about RL!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now