To use a buggy...for a 16 week old....(help please)

(48 Posts)
whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 12:12:56

Obviously in normal circumstances I would never even think of it....
However, I live in the top floor flat and there is no elevator.
this means carrying a huge, cumbersome pram up 3 sets of stairs , at least 4 times a day.
Everyday I am limping because I bang myself all the way up and down, I'm hyper mobile too so my joints get a good hammering.
Also its very dangerous one slip and I've broken my neck alone with no-one to help me and don't even want to think what would happen to my baby.
I have a 3 year old who I have too,
I can't leave the pram outside my door, call the midwife esque - because some of my neighbors have dubious behavior and drug habits and it would probably get stolen,
After my second week in a row off limping and the other night I was wincing everytime I moved, urgh.
I just thought sod it! I'm using a buggy. But I know its not appropriate and I am scared of judgement tbh. But they do lay flat?

WIBU to use a buggy?

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Thu 07-Mar-13 12:53:51

Don't forget to strap him in though cause a friend of mine had her few weeks old baby in a stroller,lying flat in foot muff type of thing,forgot to put straps on. Tipped the buggy to get up onto the footpath and baby went sliding out the back. Baby was ok,but my friend was in bits.

BearFrills Thu 07-Mar-13 12:53:59

Get a buggy, it'll be so much easier for you and less of a struggle up/down the stairs (easier storage too).

I'm hypermobile too, it's one of those things that affects each individual differently. For me a sling was no good at all because my knees dislocate at random, it doesn't happen very often but when other does I go down like ... well, like someone whose knee just fell out of the socket (and it hurts like a bastard). If Iwas carrying a baby in a sling I'd run the risk of landing on the baby, the baby 'falling' as I fall (but strapped to my front),or both of us falling down the stairs if it happened on the stairs. My last dislocation happened at the bottom of the stairs, I was holding DD at the time and managed to shove her onto the sofa as I fell - I still feel sick at the thought that if it had happened five seconds earlier I'd have been at the top of the stairs holding her and we'd have fallen into a closed stair gate at the bottom sad

My personal view would be to consider what form your hypermobility takes before using a sling.

wigglesrock Thu 07-Mar-13 12:59:46

I used a buggy from birth with dd3, it wad suitable from birth. It has stop the test of time, she's 2 now. I have a Petite Star Zia, I think.

wigglesrock Thu 07-Mar-13 13:00:56

stood the test of time obviously blush

eggso Thu 07-Mar-13 13:03:44

Do you have parking. Easiest solution is to leave buggy in the back of your car. That's what my friend does who lives on the 4th floor!

25sunshine Thu 07-Mar-13 13:05:59

McLaren Quest is THE BEST! I had one from birth for DD1 (which wasn't ideal for first 6 weeks, to be honest, but we didn't have much money), so at 16 weeks this will be more than ok. It's fine from 12 weeks onwards. It is super-light, folds very easily and lasts a long time. I would buy new to make sure you get one with perfect mechanics (and also, because they are such good quality they hold their value really well, no no ebay bargains to be had)). McLarens also have the best and snuggest fitting raincovers so your baby is really protected against the elements. And when DD1 was a baby she would always go to sleep in it, because it was really comfortable. Another massive advantage is that you can get a McLaren down the bus aisle because it's so narrow. Brilliant piece of kit!

eggso Thu 07-Mar-13 13:07:53

I have a cosatto YO! i thin its a big more comfy/sturdy that a traditional foldy buggy for someone so small. Or I was eyeing up the Quinny Yezz which looks amazing for your situation!

whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 13:08:02

Bearfrills, I have the knee problems too, although I haven't had an incident like that for a looong time.
Its more the fact my 3 year old takes agees to walk , lots of stopping and starting etc takes about an hour to get home. would do my back in tbh, he's 16lbs already.

whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 13:10:24

No , whoever the poster was there isn't a lot of eastern european people etc, but yeah buggies are generally used until older, well forward facing ones.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 07-Mar-13 13:37:14

Get a maclaren quest! They recline flat so are suitable from birth and the foot bit extends flat too. It's also light enough to carry with the shoulder strap. We've got the new one, not sure what the older versions are like.

I prefer my babies to be rear facing for longer than 16 weeks, but I certainly wouldn't judge someone else for using a buggy. At the end of the day, who cares what other people think? You know that you have good reasons for switching and so long as it is suitable for the baby's age then to hell with everyone else.

LegoAcupuncture Thu 07-Mar-13 13:47:11

I would recommend a baby jogger city mini, either new or second hand. They are brilliant and lie very very flat. They are suitable from birth as well.

Xiaoxiong Thu 07-Mar-13 13:58:19

And the other thing with a BJCM is you can fold and carry it with one hand while the other is holding the baby - very easy to carry up and down stairs.

GreenLeafTea Thu 07-Mar-13 14:09:26

I also used a BJCM from birth and I lived in a second floor flat it was great. It didn't bother me that it faced out as as sioon as I put the baby in it he fell asleep.

KindleMum Thu 07-Mar-13 14:13:37

Definitely get a buggy. I used my maclaren techno XT from birth with my youngest, wish I'd done it with the eldest too.

WillowB Thu 07-Mar-13 14:16:16

You definitely wouldn't be judged around here. It seems the norm in our town to push tiny 8 week olds around in completely upright forward facing buggies (yes I am a bit judgy about that)
I'd have thought you would be fine with one you can recline. Your little one will be able to hold their head up pretty well by now I imagine. Sounds like you are really suffering so I wouldn't think twice about what other people think do what's best for you.

midastouch Thu 07-Mar-13 15:37:13

If it lies flat i cant see the problem? i hated my pram with DS and started using the buggy when he was 4/5 months old

maddening Thu 07-Mar-13 15:42:24

Some buggies have attachments for the maxi cosy car seat too

Belmo Thu 07-Mar-13 15:47:49

Don't see any problem! I carried my dd in a sling til 35lbs with no bother though, although I don't have any joint problems.

ENormaSnob Thu 07-Mar-13 15:51:38

Do not get the maclaren quest. It does not fully recline, is horrid to push, a pita to put down and not suitable for a 16 week old.

A baby jogger citi mini would be my choice in your situation.

Yanbu btw

badguider Thu 07-Mar-13 15:51:55

Does a 4mnth old really need to lie flat anyway? I thought that was a first three months type of thing. From 3mnths do they not want to be propped up a bit to look at you or the world?

Fairylea Thu 07-Mar-13 16:00:09

Everyone in south London used a buggy from birth when I had dd 10 years ago... dd is top group at school and developed normally so I don't think it does any harm at all!

I really can't see the problem. This whole thing about rear facing prams till 6 months is a relatively new thing.. brought back from the 1940s where massive silver cross prams were the in thing !

whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 16:27:40

I can use a sling but I'd just rather not as i have a toddler who I constantly have to chase up, and run after.

I have a mothercare xoob i googled it says newborn till toddler soo woop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now