To not pay my parking fine

(36 Posts)
EggsMichelle Thu 07-Mar-13 08:04:30

I am receiving conflicting opinions all over about this and inclined to just pay it so I don't have to think about it an more, but here goes...

I parked in a Farmfoods car park monitored by Parking Eye and stayed 18mins over the 1hr allowance. Not an excuse, but my 10wk old had had me up most of the night, was screaming blue murder and I parked in the first place I could find and found a wetherspoons to feed him and have a coffee to calm myself down.

So now I have received a £75 fine (£45 if I pay early) but there is something about these private parking firms acting illegally and the threats should just be ignored. Has anyone else had experience of these fines?

LadyPessaryPam Thu 07-Mar-13 10:56:33

We had one once and we followed the advise which is to just totally ignore everything they send. Just don't acknowledge them at all. Eventually they go away. If you reply it encourages them as they think a) you exist and b) you may be gullible to cough up.

Cabrinha Thu 07-Mar-13 12:32:00

My husband had one a few years back, and on my advice ignored it, he got 2 threatening letters then nothing.

These discussions do irritate me though.

I'm totally on the side of if you can get away with not paying, then don't. I'm not going to suggest you pay for any moral reason!

But... People always give their excuses, and I just think "well, you knew the rules - and it's not your car park". For once, it'd be nice if someone said "I over stayed cos I didn't check the time / thought I'd get away with it / could give a monkeys for their letters". Enough with the excuses! The student who took 30 mins to collect a certificate in a 20 mins waiting spot? Tough luck! Ignore the letter by all means, but you really can't complain about it.

Sallyingforth Thu 07-Mar-13 13:25:06

I understand what you are saying Cabrinha. But there is a big difference between parking in an official space in the street, and staying in one of these carparks controlled by ripoff merchants whose only purpose is to squeeze huge and unrealistic 'fines' out of people. Those deserve to be ignored.

INeedThatForkOff Thu 07-Mar-13 14:29:20

Really wish I'd asked this back in 2010 when we were fined £60 for being 8 minutes late out of the maternity unit, having spent the time faffing to adjust a complicated carseat so that the straps were small enough for our newborn. Not what you want to deal with fresh from labour, bastards.

Ah well, we've had our own back threefold by now, having moved fairly close to the hospital. We invite all friends and family to use out driveway rather than pay to park at the hospital :-D

meddie Thu 07-Mar-13 14:35:20

Ignore. I would not appeal or pay up and hope to claim it back. They wont be interested once they have extorted money out of you for their nonsensical invoice.
They wont send the bailiffs around either. Do you work for a parking company threebats by any chance.

BobbiFleckmann Thu 07-Mar-13 14:37:56

DH is currently ignoring 3x parking tickets issued for the station car park for which he holds an annual pass which costs more than £1k a year (the tw*ts). So far we've had 2x letters from the parking firm per ticket, then one from a solicitor, one from a "bailiff" attached to the solicitor and the parking firm and have ignored the lot on the basis of the very clear advice on Money supermarket etc in relation to these specific companies.
HOWEVER - in the course of investigating all this, it transpires that the law was changed in October last year which means that some private parking tickets are now enforceable - I can't recall the details as it didn't apply to ours but it's worth you having a google on the new law.

willesden Thu 07-Mar-13 14:49:20

Please totally ignore what threebats said. The DVLA has nothing to do with these scams. I got a ticket for parking outside the front of a railway station in the 20 minute bays. I worked for the company at the time, so my parking permit was clearly displayed. I marched into their portakabin 7 months PG, waving the ticket and generally making a fuss, and he just tore it up in front of me. When I asked if he was going to record the ticket cancellation, he told me that they don't pursue the 'debt', they just take a chance that the majority of those fined will be scared enough to pay up. And people do. Don't pay it and don't shop at Farmfoods.

I agree completely ignore. I had one and was disappointed they only bothered to send 1 letter, obviously I'm on the too poor to bother pursuing pile.

threebats how did you see these cases "fight to the dog"? Surely once DVLA have given over the details they have no more to do with the case. Or do they report back to you?

Jengnr Thu 07-Mar-13 21:00:48

IGNORE!!

ravenAK Thu 07-Mar-13 21:26:47

These threads quite often attract posters who actually work for the companies that issue these dodgy invoices. They aren't always entirely frank about it, either.

wanders off, whistling quietly

Terpsichore Fri 08-Mar-13 09:32:27

I was really shock to get a parking enforcement notice at my station car park and was astounded to discover the MSE boards and find out what a total scam this is. I got the letters exactly as predicted, including the ones from the fake solicitor. Just ignored, and they gave up.

Not sure whether the new law alters anything, though - any legal types about to advise?

I could be wrong but I thought all it changed is that now they are allowed to pursue the keeper of the vehicle - they have a pact with the Devil the DVLA to be given this info - whereas in the past, the keeper could legitimately claim they weren't driving, and therefore weren't liable.

But as far as I can see, the courts aren't going to be any more impressed with these scabby firms' tactics. After all, what do the firms 'lose' if, for example, you pay the correct fee and park in a bay they've decided is not operational but haven't signposted or blocked off, which was my supposed 'crime'? They just make up excuses for fake penalties to try and screw even more money out of people. I despise them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now