For goodness sake, she isn't the first person ever to have a baby! Why does anyone even care if it's a girl or a boy?!

(35 Posts)
Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 00:42:57

So said my staunchly republican 7yo dd earlier this evening while watching Kate on the news. grin

AIBU to think that she has a point?!

Sunnywithshowers Thu 07-Mar-13 00:46:28

YANBU smile

WorraLiberty Thu 07-Mar-13 00:49:02

Errm... it's not really a case of whether she has a point or not.

YABU if you haven't explained why people are curious/want to know etc...

Fair enough if she doesn't care...as long as you've explained why other people might be interested I suppose.

I haven't read anyone saying they think this is the first person to ever have a baby, but it's the first baby Kate and William are having.

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 00:53:02

YABU if you haven't explained why people are curious/want to know etc...

I tried, but I don't think I was terribly convincing. grin

MsAkimbo Thu 07-Mar-13 00:53:13

YANBU

WorraLiberty Thu 07-Mar-13 00:55:53

I would have said the same at her age OP

But she'll understand when Kate and William are becoming grandparents

Scary thought since I still remember William as a toddler in that God awful sailor suite grin

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 07-Mar-13 00:58:24

YABU. Your DD isn't. If she ever becomes pregnant she will understand.

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 01:08:35

Yes, I remember William in that sailor suit too. smile That said, I'm not sure that I understand all the media fuss about Kate's pregnancy even at my age, hence my rather less than persuasive explanation! I do like Will and Kate, and hope they have a healthy baby. But I'm not really interested in hearing about it all the time!

I did explain to dd that the baby was important because Kate's first child would probably be a future head of state. She shrugged and told me that she didn't think we'd have a king/queen any more by the time the baby was old enough to take over!

Fanjango Thu 07-Mar-13 01:10:29

People care because it , if a girl, will be the first to have the right to reign over any further male siblings. If you are a monarchist, or historian, this is a big deal!
If you only care because she is a celeb than all bets are off and that is just a bit sad!! grin

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 01:11:45

YABU. Your DD isn't. If she ever becomes pregnant she will understand.

Oh, she has no difficulty in understanding why Kate might think her baby is important. She just doesn't get why it's headline news before the baby has even been born. Not sure that having a baby of her own would help with that? confused It didn't help me!

ripsishere Thu 07-Mar-13 01:13:21

I am out of the UK, but have seen the speculation about girl/boy. IMO, it's ludicrous and to suggest they don't know is laughable.
Friends of ours are having a baby at the end of May. I don't know why, but I am desperate to know whether it's a girl or a boy.
Maybe I'm just nosy?

MidnightMasquerader Thu 07-Mar-13 01:14:07

The baby is heir to throne. In the nicest possible way, it's disingenuous to think people don't/won't/shouldn't care. Some people don't. But an inordinate amount a lot of people do. smile

Fanjango Thu 07-Mar-13 01:14:08

Jinsei she's a bright little thing!! I think it may be retirement time for the monarchy, let it go with the Queen when she goes. Do we really want Charles to take over? Do we want the sight of Put them out of our misery.watching William wait, as his father has, to become really "important"?

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 01:14:21

Fair point about the historic significance if it's a girl. I did also explain this, but dd remained sceptical about the monarchy as a whole. Far more so than me or her father!! shock

AngryBeaver Thu 07-Mar-13 01:15:16

I don't even think she was talking about her giving the teddy to her child.

I think she was going to say "I'll give this to my DOG" but then though, oh shit, one can't say that out loud!

This might sound mean, but I sincerely doubt any toy given to them (or any sleb, for that matter) by a member of the public, would make it to their pfb!

They could be smokers, live in a filthy house, infested with fleas? Anything!

It will be donated...or given to the dog

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 01:19:03

Bright, or possibly just opinionated! grin

I'm not sure what I think of the monarchy tbh. I do think it's anachronistic and outdated, but I'm not kern on some of the alternatives and I can't get too worked up by it either way! I don't think there's any chance it will go when the queen goes. I actually think they're far more popular now than they have been for years - largely thanks to Will & Kate.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 07-Mar-13 01:19:09

Oh right OP. Did your DD really think that issues surrounding the succession to the Union (as reported in the news) are dependent on the mother as opposed to the expectations of the media?

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 01:20:02

I hope the dog likes it then! grin

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 07-Mar-13 01:21:10

Sorry, I meant "to the throne", not union.blush

Fanjango Thu 07-Mar-13 01:23:53

Little girls are never bossy or opinionated they are "assertive" grin

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 01:27:56

No Dione, she didn't. confused

Her question was about the media circus, and nothing to do with the individuals concerned. I don't suppose she has thought much about issues surrounding the succession, but she made an observation that she thought the media coverage was excessive. And I think she had a point!

Jinsei Thu 07-Mar-13 01:31:05

grin OK, I'll call it "assertive" then!

AudrinaAdare Thu 07-Mar-13 01:33:06

She wanted the manky teddy for her dog. Or perhaps her Dad. Or her DH's Dungeon.

I agree with your daughter.

ChairmanWow Thu 07-Mar-13 05:13:33

Are we possibly overanalysing something said by a 7 year old? Good on her for picking up on the ridiculousness of the media circus and of the royals themselves.

Of course they care about their baby. I care about the one I'm due next week, however the rest of the world seems largely indifferent grin

scaevola Thu 07-Mar-13 06:32:02

YABU : there's already been a long thread in chat about her "slip"

The higher the number of threads, the greater the interest in the subject. Certainly by OP, and generally on MN when one thing gives rise to numerous threads.

And even MNHQ tried to damp down the number of threads on this: o at least encourage people to put them into The Royal Family forum - unusually, they have even moved some out of chat/AIBU into that topic, because of the number, and so those who are genuinely not interested can hide the topic and not have to see the huge number of threads started by those who want to discuss the Royals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now