Video piracy propaganda

(31 Posts)
ProPerformer Wed 06-Mar-13 19:44:16

Just finished watching a DVD with DH and DS (age 4), at the end of it there was a short 'advert' about pirate DVDs. The video depicted a very scary looking man with eyes of flame working in a forge. DS was so scared by this that he was actually in tears. (we turned it off ASAP, but we were not near the remote at the time so it took a good 30-40 seconds.)

AIBU to think this sort of 'scary' advert should not be on the end of a DVD marked as U? I really feel like writing and complaining!

MiaowTheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 17:51:12

We used to just sit there through the "you wouldn't steal a car" one with the "downloading movie" progress bar and comment that "cor we'd love her internet connection."

Rarely buy DVDs these days anyway - do one of those DVD rentals by post thing to get what we want to watch, but the un-fastforwardable adverts at the start of them wind me up - I tend to bung DVD in, and go in the shower while all the crap at the start runs through (Disney being noteably bad for it - by the time you've sat through the trailers for Disneyland, Christmas at Disneyland, the digitally remastered and retouched - again - Sleeping Beauty: We Ain't Re-released This Yet This Year Editiion, Aladdin 9 - We Dug Up The Corpse Of Jafar, Lion King 97 - Simba's Sperm and all the other shite they bung on there that's gone straight to DVD)

lockets Thu 07-Mar-13 21:42:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProPerformer Thu 07-Mar-13 23:24:40

Indeed. I actually have the DVD we were watching on VHS recorded off the tv years ago, so didn't 'need' to buy it legit, but chose to as I guess keeping recorded off the tv stuff for years is not technically correct either (though I know loads of people who do it who, like us, would not illegally download stuff.) it just makes me furious that they put a totally unsuitable ad at the end that we couldn't skip and scared my Ds to tears. Made me wish I'd kept my money and just transferred the VHS to DVD!!

ProPerformer Thu 07-Mar-13 23:46:04

Where do you download stuff from lockets?
I did have 'love film' but want stuff we can keep to watch again and again.

lockets Fri 08-Mar-13 00:06:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aside from the whole only having to sit through it if you have bought the damn DVD, the "you wouldn't steal a car" winds the pedant in me up because piracy isn't theft. Theft is taking something away from someone so they don't still have it, pirating a DVD does not take away the original. If they're going to force us to sit through it they could at least make it accurate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now