Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Am I being a Petty Fucker? Checkout etiquette.

(82 Posts)
slatternlymother Wed 06-Mar-13 15:26:03

It's been a long day, so I'm prepared to be told I am being unreasonable.

At Tesco, I started putting my stuff on the conveyor belt. I had lots of stuff. Woman comes up behind me and plonks her basket down, slams one of those dividers down in the middle of the belt and put 8 items down, leaving me to pile up my stuff in the section she'd left me.

AIBU to have thought she should've waited for me to finish unloading my shopping before she put her stuff on? It's not like she was going to be able to get through until I'd finished anyway. The man was already tilling up my stuff.

I'm a Petty Fucker, aren't I?

giddypants Wed 06-Mar-13 15:42:49

very rude. but maybe she was a bit tired or didn't realise. I've said to one of these people that I haven't finished unpacking and they have removed their stuff and walked off, if she had got funny then I would have pushed her stuff back until I had enough room.

Hoaz Wed 06-Mar-13 15:43:46

Well, I do all my shopping in Lisle and the etiquette there is definitely that if you've a trolley full and someone behind only has a few items, you say oh is that all you've got go in front of me. Makes the day of the person behind and the person in front gets to feel all warm about themselves. Sometimes you even get to have a pleasant conversation while youre shopping! Obviously a better class of customer in Lidl. grin

Different if your stuff had already started going through though OP, so I apologise for suggesting such a thing!

Sokmonsta Wed 06-Mar-13 15:44:45

Yanbu. I would have pushed the divider back as well. But I have very low tolerance for rude people at the moment.

SanityClause Wed 06-Mar-13 15:47:28

That's just so rude of her.

ModernToss Wed 06-Mar-13 15:49:51

She was extremely rude, and I'd have been pissed off too.

slatternlymother Wed 06-Mar-13 15:50:23

Looking back, I should've said something.

I did however, take ages to pack. I neglected to mention this in case you all thought I was BU! grin

I felt her eyes burning into my face, hence why I posted on here to see if I was being petty in the first place grin

diddl Wed 06-Mar-13 15:51:14

Of course you're not petty, OP.

I have done this before though.

If I've picked up more than I intended & it's getting heavy I've dumped it down-but would keep moving it back as necessary!

slatternlymother Wed 06-Mar-13 15:51:44

Ooooh glen and hoaz! Fight fight fight!

<chants>

HecateWhoopass Wed 06-Mar-13 15:53:12

I'd have instantly become about 5 years old and just passed the remainder of my stuff item by item to the person on the till and then bagged it all up and only then opened my bag to look for my purse.

<adjusts Queen PA crown>

grin

I did say I'm a mardy cow grin

SkinnybitchWannabe Wed 06-Mar-13 16:10:29

I see this all the time when Im at work (checkout at Tesco) I'll happily tell the rude customer that the other person hasn't finished unloading.
One day a woman had a right go at another woman for doing it, she soon moved checkouts.
When Im doing my shopping I always park my trolley so the person behind can't get to the conveyer belt. Works every time

atthewelles Wed 06-Mar-13 16:13:28

YABU. When you ran out of space you should have simply put the rest of your groceries behind the divider and let her pay for them, then asked for them back once you were both through the checkout.

I do this and my shopping bill has come down considerably in the last few months.

flowery Wed 06-Mar-13 16:14:36

YANBAPF

It's never happened to me, while I would like to shove all their stuff back in their basket, in reality I would say I javen't finished and if that didn't elicit the correct response I would just use the divider to shove it all backwards to make room. And then chat to the cashier, lose my nectar card, put my PIN in wrong, oh dear is that the time.

slatternlymother Wed 06-Mar-13 16:16:32

atthewells you made me snort then grin

I might do that next time...

<eyes up hectates crown>

Smellslikecatspee Wed 06-Mar-13 16:20:44

atthewelles.................

gringringringringringringringrin

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Wed 06-Mar-13 16:43:11

I have been known to hold the divider whilst still unpacking my trolley so their shopping piles up. Then slowly pack,sort my vouchers,pay (sometimes I forget my pin for a few seconds). Petty yes,satisfying definitely.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 06-Mar-13 16:55:19

You'd never get that sort of attitude in Waitrose.... <sniffs haughtily>

grin

JenaiMorris Wed 06-Mar-13 17:01:16

This has NEVER happened to me.

Is it commonplace then?

You're not being petty btw, assuming the premature loader wasn't doing so in error.

ginslinger Wed 06-Mar-13 17:01:27

I think it's entirely possible to make a mistake or not pay attention but once it's been brought to your attention then te only possible answer is to apologise profusely and remove your stuff. And apologise again. Maybe shout out to the rest of the supermarket that you seem to have behaved in a cuntish manner and ask for forgiveness.

INeverSaidThat Wed 06-Mar-13 17:04:04

OP,

I think you should have remembered that you needed x product (x product being located in the furthest corner of the supermarket) and then proceeded to slowly go and get it.

AlisonMoyet Wed 06-Mar-13 17:10:44

youa re a petty fucker

AlisonMoyet Wed 06-Mar-13 17:11:10

christ

you lot need to shop online getoutmore

Op - she was rude.

ajandjjmum Wed 06-Mar-13 17:20:23

It was rude of her. I always expect people to put the divider behind their stuff when they've finished unloading - and wait until they do. I do get riled with those who don't bother, so I have to stretch across their shopping to get a divider, but tbf, we're all allowed to be a bit unreasonable when shopping! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now