to think this is weird wedding wording?

(69 Posts)
moogy1a Wed 06-Mar-13 14:56:57

A new variation on the children at weddings scenario.
Just received an invitaion which says " due to venue capacity we are only able to invite a small number of children*these have been randomy selected*and it is not meant to cause much offence.
"randomly selected"?!! Why not selcted in terms of closeness to family/ parents who can't get childcare for the day/ anything other than random?
Did b&g pick names out of the hat?

chateauferret Sat 09-Mar-13 14:10:23

I'd be telling them their wedding invite had been randomly selected for perpendicular rectal insertion, myself.

simplesusan Thu 07-Mar-13 21:48:48

I have looked at the Lion King thread and it is hilarious. Thanks for that.

atthewelles Thu 07-Mar-13 10:22:46

I think its a great idea and more b&gs should copy it. Maybe, when their children have failed to be 'randomly selected' for 4 or 5 weddings in a row, the penny might drop with some of the inconsiderate parents out there who currently seem to be oblivious to how annoying and disruptive their little brats are.

BeCool Thu 07-Mar-13 10:05:52

is this an example of when stupid people try to be clever!!!

Randomly selected children?? WTF? How? Why? Why? Why?
Didn't mean to cause MUCH offence - gwaff!!!! Foot in mouth!

Why not simply say "we are only able to invite a small number of children. Please don't be offended if yours aren't invited" and leave it at that.

I'm one of the people who don't believe in ageist weddings anyway - it's a family celebration - I'd invite all ages!

Iaintdunnuffink Thu 07-Mar-13 09:52:52

I would have to ask the how they operated the random selection? Names on bits of paper? Computer program? grin

I can only presume they don't want to invite children who are closer up the family tree but still have children of a close friend.

I don't have a problem with only selected children being invited but that is funny wording.

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Thu 07-Mar-13 09:22:54
GreenLeafTea Thu 07-Mar-13 07:32:29

Are either the bride or groom in middle management by any chance? They seem the types that enjoy putting long words into sentences but have no idea what they mean. They still think it sounds really professional though.

moogy1a Thu 07-Mar-13 07:22:38

I agree that b&g should invite who they want and I appreciate there are limits on numbers but I think putting that only close family / bridesmaids children etc. are invited wouldn't have caused "much offence"

simplesusan Wed 06-Mar-13 23:20:12

I am intrigued by the Lion King idea.
Can someone please link to that thread?

Personally I am liking the idea of going to see a show rather than attending a wedding, especially if it is all expenses paid. Sounds a great idea!

Panzee Wed 06-Mar-13 22:32:58

People can't do right for doing wrong.

BanjoPlayingTiger Wed 06-Mar-13 22:14:45

Most bizarre wording, but they most definitely are trying to exclude certain kids IMO. Clearly yours make the cut moogy

PurpleStorm Wed 06-Mar-13 22:09:33

Very odd wording. I agree with everyone who thinks that the selection process wasn't random at all!

HamAlive Wed 06-Mar-13 21:33:49

Why was a dancing child a precocious brat, Puff ? Must've been a tiny dance floor if there was no room for anyone else.

Snowme perhaps some people like those things? There might not be romance in them for you but there might be for others.

OP that is very odd wording. I wonder what their selection criteria were?

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 06-Mar-13 21:27:54

I think the wording is hilarious, but I think it's sad that those getting married have to make excuses. It's not about being bridezillish, it's about them being allowed to invite whoever they want to the party that they are throwing and paying for. If parents don't want to go because their DCs aren't invited, they can turn down the invitation.

I would think that the phrase "these have been randomly selected" is the most diplomatic euphemism they could find to express "I don't care that you're [e.g. my sister] I'm not having your obnoxious brats pissing the rest of my guests off, and don't try complaining about our cousin's children being invited they are a pleasure to be around".

Pipachi Wed 06-Mar-13 21:10:24

It is not meant to cause much offence? hmm

MrsLouisTheroux Wed 06-Mar-13 20:55:37

randomly selected?! hmm

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Wed 06-Mar-13 20:13:04

Every time these threads are posted there are always posters who say you should get a cheaper venue, eg village hall.

We don't have a village hall but even if I booked a price equivalent I would then have to get married in the register office. Our register office has two ceremony rooms, one holds up to 10 guest, the second up to 50 guests. That in itself would limit the number of people I could invite more effectively than booking a hotel wedding/other posh venue.

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Wed 06-Mar-13 20:07:25

Oops, there should be a grin at the end of the first sentence blush

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Wed 06-Mar-13 20:06:35

Yep, you obviously feel really strongly about that Greensleeves

The wording did make me laugh. If it is, as has been said, them banning badly behaved children then in a way I have to admire their nerve. Most will simply say no children.

wherearemysocka Wed 06-Mar-13 20:04:00

Some people just aren't that into children, I don't have a problem with people wanting something more adult - children change the dynamics of an event, for better or worse.

The invitation is weirdly worded, although I imagine there would be many more weddings with children if the bride and groom were able to stipulate which children. Unfortunately it's a case of all or nothing - most of the time!

Snowme Wed 06-Mar-13 20:00:55

Marry in registry office.
Everyone pile over to nearest pub with a function room.

Save yourself £20,000 and everyone still has a fantastic and memorable day to remember the rest of their lives.

Mind you, this penny pinching and very basic way of letting the world know you intend to love one person for the rest of your life is probably why no-one's ever proposed to me in my 44 years sad
Even men seem to want to impress everyone with showy venues and stretch limos these days. No romance in those.

BreasticlesNotTesticles Wed 06-Mar-13 19:52:28

Say what you think Greensleves grin

Greensleeves Wed 06-Mar-13 19:49:05

I really meant that blush

Greensleeves Wed 06-Mar-13 19:47:50

I can't bear the whole precious "our day" child-free stuff. So arrogant ad inhospitable.

That invitation is bizarre. I agree that it isn't random. It's almost as rude as saying "no children".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now