Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think this is weird wedding wording?

(69 Posts)
moogy1a Wed 06-Mar-13 14:56:57

A new variation on the children at weddings scenario.
Just received an invitaion which says " due to venue capacity we are only able to invite a small number of children*these have been randomy selected*and it is not meant to cause much offence.
"randomly selected"?!! Why not selcted in terms of closeness to family/ parents who can't get childcare for the day/ anything other than random?
Did b&g pick names out of the hat?

ENormaSnob Wed 06-Mar-13 17:33:08

Yes I reckon it's the well behaved ones that got selected.

I don't mind kid free weddings at all but loathe it when the b and g make out its so we can let our hair down.

Because tbh, who can really let their hair down with various grandparents, parents, great aunts etc all over the show.

abbyfromoz Wed 06-Mar-13 17:33:48

Bahaha! Tell them you also 'randomly selected' their wedding gift... And get your children to pick it out.
Went to a wedding recently where the bride and groom paid for babysitters for anyone with children. Best wedding ever! (Besides ours wink)

StuntGirl Wed 06-Mar-13 17:44:09

Even if I got married in the village hall startail I still wouldn't invite everyone's kids!

MiaowTheCat Wed 06-Mar-13 18:19:21

Got married in the village hall... didn't invite kids! (There were very strong reasons behind the decision)

fluffyraggies England Wed 06-Mar-13 18:43:43

Well, like i said, if folks don't want kids at their wedding or the party afterwards then that's up to then. Fair enough. Sad IMO not to include all the generations of a family. Imagine saying ''no old people please''! grin (and sending them instead to see the Lion King wink does anyone remember that?)

I just got the feeling that ''we ALL want to let our hair down'' in our invite was the sort of vague passive aggressive thing my mother would say!

I would second the thoughts here that the kids that are invited are the ones the B + G know for a fact will behave. Not very good form. Better to have all or none.

twentythirteen Wed 06-Mar-13 18:47:07

Maybe they invited all kids except the ones they don't like! I think the wording is hilarious and agree with the poster who talked about working within budgets. "Without causing much offence"? Poor people, trying to work out the cake to eating it ratio and failing regarding etiquette!

babanouche Wed 06-Mar-13 18:49:28

I hate this no kids at weddings thing. I think it's so antisocial and elitist. That invitation however is hilarious. I can just imagine them stressing so much about how to word it. They probably think they're acknowledging the offence but if they acknowledge it then it doesn't really count.

moogy1a Wed 06-Mar-13 18:51:00

well I shall be smug knowing my 3 are obviously exceptionally well behaved!!
I think it was just an unfortunate choice of words tbh. Just tickled me.

MrsKoala England Wed 06-Mar-13 18:59:07

haha at 'much offense'. we recently received the rudest wedding invitation. it had many things about it which were worded badly and actually offensive. The invitation was to mr & mrs koala and there were numerous inserts added, one said 'if your child's name is NOT on the invitation they are NOT invited'. Erm okay, fair enough, but no need to shout!

moogy1a Wed 06-Mar-13 19:08:58

miaow you have to tell us the strong reasons

elliejjtiny Wed 06-Mar-13 19:37:18

I think the "we ALL want to let our hair down" thing is the B & G pretending to be considerate. They're saying "we are banning your children because we want you to have a nice relaxing time".

mrsjay Wed 06-Mar-13 19:39:20

the bride has read mumsnet then about children at weddings, randomly selected children does that mean a brother can go but his younger sister cant grin How daft is your children been selected wonder if they did it like the lottery wink

VivaLeBeaver Wed 06-Mar-13 19:42:00

It's a good job all 3 of your kids made the selection. Imagine if one had but not the other two. grin

mrsjay Wed 06-Mar-13 19:42:16

Sad IMO not to include all the generations of a family. Imagine saying ''no old people please''! (and sending them instead to see the Lion King does anyone remember that?)

yes whos thread was that somebodies friend who didnt want oldies at their wedding was really weird but funny

CocacolaMum Wed 06-Mar-13 19:42:31

..and may the odds be ever in their favour..

mrsjay Wed 06-Mar-13 19:43:05

what if 1 of the Randoms dont want their kids going maybe they want a day without their kids thats a bit awkward is it not grin

Greensleeves Wed 06-Mar-13 19:46:53

I can't bear the whole precious "our day" child-free stuff. So arrogant ad inhospitable.

That invitation is bizarre. I agree that it isn't random. It's almost as rude as saying "no children".

Greensleeves Wed 06-Mar-13 19:47:13

I can't bear the whole precious "our day" child-free stuff. So arrogant ad inhospitable.

That invitation is bizarre. I agree that it isn't random. It's almost as rude as saying "no children".

Greensleeves Wed 06-Mar-13 19:47:48

Greensleeves Wed 06-Mar-13 19:47:50

Greensleeves Wed 06-Mar-13 19:49:05

I really meant that blush

BreasticlesNotTesticles Wed 06-Mar-13 19:52:28

Say what you think Greensleves grin

Snowme Wed 06-Mar-13 20:00:55

Marry in registry office.
Everyone pile over to nearest pub with a function room.

Save yourself £20,000 and everyone still has a fantastic and memorable day to remember the rest of their lives.

Mind you, this penny pinching and very basic way of letting the world know you intend to love one person for the rest of your life is probably why no-one's ever proposed to me in my 44 years sad
Even men seem to want to impress everyone with showy venues and stretch limos these days. No romance in those.

wherearemysocka Wed 06-Mar-13 20:04:00

Some people just aren't that into children, I don't have a problem with people wanting something more adult - children change the dynamics of an event, for better or worse.

The invitation is weirdly worded, although I imagine there would be many more weddings with children if the bride and groom were able to stipulate which children. Unfortunately it's a case of all or nothing - most of the time!

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Wed 06-Mar-13 20:06:35

Yep, you obviously feel really strongly about that Greensleeves

The wording did make me laugh. If it is, as has been said, them banning badly behaved children then in a way I have to admire their nerve. Most will simply say no children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now