Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think I shouldn't even bother applying for this job as I'm overweight?

(67 Posts)
UnderSkyofStars Tue 05-Mar-13 23:42:28

I do weight a lot for my height but people are genuinely shocked when I tell them my weight so I don't think I look my weight (12 stone) - and wear sizes 12/10.

A job has just arisen near me, part-time in a store which sells clothes for running, yoga, tennis etc - they even have exercises classes in the store during the evening. (You can attend for free if you work there too)

I do have sales experiences but I just think even if I did mange to get an interview I'm hardly a size 6/8 which they would probably prefer so my experience is pretty irrelevant.

Yfronts Wed 06-Mar-13 20:09:13

just apply. I would employ the right person and not consider size.

UnderSkyofStars Wed 06-Mar-13 18:02:05

Thanks to the people who could understand that I might take offensive to come of the comments.

I don't go out and buy size 10/12 to make myself feel better. I just buy clothes that fit.

I used to exercise quite a lot, but I have had to withdraw my gym membership (so now don't attend yoga/spinning classes) - I used to run ... and I should get back into that really.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 06-Mar-13 17:48:43

You aren't big at all OP. I've seen quite large people working in sports shops and even in gyms.

DeepPurple Wed 06-Mar-13 17:46:16

I agree with oblomov. Some of the comments were just plain sneery. Some were more jokey but I can understand if the OP is offended.

WorraLiberty Wed 06-Mar-13 17:45:34

I must admit the ankles comment made me smile.

But having read the OP's further comments, I have no idea what the problem is.

She's 5ft 6", size 10/12 and people are 'genuinely shocked' when they learn her weight.

So I'm just not getting the problem here? confused

nancy75 Wed 06-Mar-13 17:40:20

Oblomov there are plenty of other posts that are encouraging, the op has not replied to any of those, personally I thought the ankles post was obviously a joke. And I didn't say it was all nice I said mostly encouraging. All of the ops replies sound snotty, even the sweaty Betty comment ( for those that don't know sweaty Betty is the real name of a shop)

Oblomov Wed 06-Mar-13 17:31:10

"The if your attitude in real life is anything like you are coming across on this thread then don't bother applying for the job. Replies have been mostly encouraging with a couple of obviously well meant jokes, your replies however have been really quite off".
Really? shock
I read it totally differently.
The ankles comment made me go shock, becasue I thought it was so rude i was really shocked.Infact all the , numerous, questioning posts about was she quoting US sizes and was she really a size 14...... etc etc etc, shall I contiinue. I thought were very very rude.
But you say it was all nice, and a few jokes that she misinterpreted?
Well, I didn't see it that way at all.
We must agree to differ. MAJOURLY.

RedToothBrush Wed 06-Mar-13 17:26:04

Who are you selling to?

Do you think everyone who walks through the door is going to be thin? Or do you think there is going to be a bunch of people who are slightly bigger and simply want to get fitter.

If you are smart and its really bothering you and worrying you, should you happen to get an interview THEN MAKE IT INTO A SELLING POINT FOR YOU rather than viewing it something that is going to stop you getting the job.

This is 100% about your attitude and not your size. Afterall its a SALES job. If you can't sell yourself, you ain't going to sell their product are you?

Snog Wed 06-Mar-13 17:18:07

OP do you have any interest in exercise and do you exercise regularly yourself?This question has been asked a lot but I can't see that you have replied to it? I think this is much more important than your current weight, surely?

If you want this job then go for it. Its a sales job so you just need to prove that you can selll yourself imo.

ThreeWheelsGood Wed 06-Mar-13 16:44:25

OP why have you ignored everyone replying saying you should go for it? And people like me reiterating that even though by bmi you're overweight, you probably don't look large and shouldn't let it put you off applying for this job anyway.

nancy75 Wed 06-Mar-13 16:33:35

Op I'm going to be quite brutally honest here, as I mentioned earlier I worked as a retail manager for years, if your attitude in real life is anything like you are coming across on this thread then don't bother applying for the job. Replies have been mostly encouraging with a couple of obviously well meant jokes, your replies however have been really quite off, if you come across in interview like you do on here you won't get the job.

thezebrawearspurple Wed 06-Mar-13 16:23:45

You probably have a high muscle mass, muscle is three times heavier than fat and if it is also very tight everything is held 'in'. That's presumably a good thing for a job at a sportswear store??? You don't look as big as the number on the scales are so don't worry about it.

The worst thing they can say is no. Go for it!smile

jjuice Wed 06-Mar-13 16:20:45

When I was 8 stone I was size 6 I am 5'5" my friend 5'2" was just under 8 stone and size 12
I am now over 11 stone and most of my clothes size 10
Heavy bones I always said but apparentlythats iimpossible

DeepPurple Wed 06-Mar-13 16:10:40

Why are people questioning the OP's weight and clothing size? confused when I was 11 stone and 5'4 I could wear a size 12 comfortably. Add a bit more weight and stretch and I'd be similar to the OP. clothing fits people differently and also depends on styles.

UnderSkyofStars Wed 06-Mar-13 15:40:47

Anyway I always like fact that nice and always helpful women in sweaty Betty are normal sized.

I've never even heard of sweaty Betty so I can assure you that isn't the place I am applying to work for.

UnderSkyofStars Wed 06-Mar-13 15:39:30

anyway I thought you were a lawyer?

Never said I was a lawyer. I said I worked in law which isn't the same thing.

And for various reasons I need to look for a new job which is only part time. I also can no longer do a demanding job.

I could list the reasons why and my whole life story but don't think it's that relevant.

LadyPessaryPam Wed 06-Mar-13 15:35:48

I was joking UnderSkyofStars.

anyway I thought you were a lawyer? hmm but times are tough eh?

think it was obvious what pessary was saying you seem to be ignoring all kind words and being arsey for sake of it.

Farewelltoarms Wed 06-Mar-13 15:27:29

Me too - 10 and a half stone, 5 foot 7, and a size 12. Not slim, not fat, normal. I'm wondering where I'd put an additional 20lb and fit into a smaller size...
Anyway I always like fact that nice and always helpful women in sweaty Betty are normal sized. I also always have massive girl crushes on models in catalogue. If I buy the blouson fluoro over vest, will I also get long swishy pony tail and habit of running along beaches?

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 06-Mar-13 15:13:14

OP, I'm the same height and weight as you and work in a customer facing role. I am not 'fat'. Yes, my BMI score defines me as overweight but I feel fit and healthy. I eat well and workout etc. DO NOT let size put you off applying for any job. Anyone who turns you down on that basis is not worthy of working for in the first place imo.

UnderSkyofStars Wed 06-Mar-13 15:11:56

Have you got humungous ankles or something OP? Where is all the weight situated??

Bit rude.

I don't know where my humungous amount of weight is situated.

LadyPessaryPam Wed 06-Mar-13 15:09:42

Have you got humungous ankles or something OP? Where is all the weight situated?? You sound normal size to me. I weigh far less, and the same height and I am 12 on the bottom and 14 on top!

You're presumably not going to put your weight on your CV, and you say that you don't look as though you weigh as much as you do, so I can't see why it would be a reason to reject you even if they were so inclined.

DeepPurple Wed 06-Mar-13 15:02:43

You should apply. May be less people will apply cos they think they are overweight too!

I once saw a gym instructor eating a creme egg whilst on the cross trainer hmm that doesn't scream health! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now