to think I shouldn't even bother applying for this job as I'm overweight?

(67 Posts)
UnderSkyofStars Tue 05-Mar-13 23:42:28

I do weight a lot for my height but people are genuinely shocked when I tell them my weight so I don't think I look my weight (12 stone) - and wear sizes 12/10.

A job has just arisen near me, part-time in a store which sells clothes for running, yoga, tennis etc - they even have exercises classes in the store during the evening. (You can attend for free if you work there too)

I do have sales experiences but I just think even if I did mange to get an interview I'm hardly a size 6/8 which they would probably prefer so my experience is pretty irrelevant.

Tell them you've recently lost two stone. They'll love you as a living example of what a healthy lifestyle can do for you!

Seriously, you'll be fine. Clients don't want to be served by perfect people. I remember being served by an absolutely stunning waitress once. It put me right off my meal smile

ThreeWheelsGood Wed 06-Mar-13 08:11:27

Not necessarily ladyp - I'm 5'5" size 10/12 UK and 12 stone, very overweight according to bmi.
YABU OP - apply for the job if you think you have the skills and experience!

HollaAtMeBaby Wed 06-Mar-13 08:13:48

YABU not to try. Is it Sweaty Betty? Are you interested in health and fitness/do you go to the gym and play any sports regularly? I think that's more important than your figure especially as you sound normal sized. If you were too fat to get into the shop's clothes that might be a different matter - when I clicked on this thread I was thinking of the enormously obese woman who was on This Morning last week with the appalling Katie Hopkins.

Pagwatch Wed 06-Mar-13 08:16:16

Sizing is fucking weird isn't it?

Two people on this thread are the same height and clothes size as me yet a stone and a half heavier.
When i was 12 stone I was a big 14.

It just shows that I am right to head in the changing rooms with at least two sizes in the item I like. And vanity sizing means in M&S, monsoon and next I am often finding a 10 way too big.

They should rip the system up and start again tbh. It's becoming meaningless.

Pagwatch Wed 06-Mar-13 08:27:54

Sorry. Massively off topic.

TheFallenNinja Wed 06-Mar-13 09:21:36

Why not? What's to lose?

TroublesomeEx Wed 06-Mar-13 09:32:43

I'd apply.

10/12 is my size and whilst it's not svelte, I'm not exactly rolling down the road. Tbh, I'd be more likely to go into a sportswear shop and ask advice from someone who was my size rather than only someone who was a 6/8.

The store might find it attracts a wider range of customer if it doesn't alienate it's less fit/larger potential customers by only have super slim/fit people on the shop floor.

In fact, I'd say you could use it as a selling point.

And Pag I completely agree. I'm 10 stone, 5'4 and a size 10/12/14/16 depending on where I shop! It is becoming meaningless. I've found a couple of online stores where they tell you the measurements of the clothes and suggest you compare the measurements to clothes you already have and select your size that way. It would be so much better if they were consistent.

Bunfags Wed 06-Mar-13 09:41:21

Why would you have to be a size 6 to 8 OP? Size 6 is very thin and not natural for everyone. Size 10/12 is slim. YABU to think that you shouldn't go for it.

It's funny isn't it, I'm a 10/12, 5'7 but I'm just under 10 stone.

Some people just seem to be built more solidly, ds1 is like that... Even as a baby he always felt far heavier than he looked. He's a bean pole now but I can barely lift him he's so heavy.

Op, go for it. The worst they can say is no and if they do say no it won't be anything to do with weight.

ChoccyWoccyDoDa Wed 06-Mar-13 10:50:38

I would apply. It sounds like your size is quite normal so I don't see why it should stop you getting the job.

From a customer's perspective, I really couldn't care less what size the sales assistants are. It's hardly the same as say in a hair salon where you would expect the hairdressers to have decent hair styles!

Just go for it and good luck.

alifelessordinary Wed 06-Mar-13 11:02:53

Well it's good to hear I'm slim, because my BMI tells me I'm overweight!!

I'm the same size as the OP - 5'6 about 11 1/2 stone, fit into a 12/14.

Personally I understand where you're coming from OP, I would have a hard time applying for this job and not going to work everyday feeling like a beached whale. sad But if you've got the confidence, go for it.

fascicle Wed 06-Mar-13 11:23:37

It they're a decent company, they will be looking for things like enthusiasm for/knowledge of the products they sell and the market they're in; friendly manner, good at dealing with the public; numeracy skills etc. Don't write yourself off before you've even applied, and don't assume they have a policy about the size of their employees.

YABU, one of the instructors at our gym was a wobbly size 12ish, but brilliant at her job with bags of energy.

UnderSkyofStars Wed 06-Mar-13 14:49:54

No I am very much British and very much quoting British sizes.

I did state in the OP that people are genuinely shocked when they know how much I weigh.

It's not a vanity thing where I'm squeezing myself into small sizes.

Today I am wearing size 12 jeans with no muffin top and a size 10 fitted jumper.

bangwhizz Wed 06-Mar-13 14:54:31

My daughter has a gymnastics coach who must be well well over a size 20 .She is excellent!

badguider Wed 06-Mar-13 14:56:16

I am also heavier than I look but as the shop isn't going to ask you your weight or your BMI then why is it an issue?

If you don't look overweight then they won't even know you are.

The big issue I think is are you fit and healthy? do you have a demonstrable interest in running, tennis, yoga etc. as well as the retail experience? I am chunky but would apply for the job citing the half marathons i've run and the cycle club i'm a member of and yoga studio...

GreatUncleEddie Wed 06-Mar-13 14:59:57

You should apply. Weight could be an issue but it doesn't sound like you are so overweight as to make it relevant. Overweight people can be very fit.

DeepPurple Wed 06-Mar-13 15:02:43

You should apply. May be less people will apply cos they think they are overweight too!

I once saw a gym instructor eating a creme egg whilst on the cross trainer hmm that doesn't scream health! grin

You're presumably not going to put your weight on your CV, and you say that you don't look as though you weigh as much as you do, so I can't see why it would be a reason to reject you even if they were so inclined.

LadyPessaryPam Wed 06-Mar-13 15:09:42

Have you got humungous ankles or something OP? Where is all the weight situated?? You sound normal size to me. I weigh far less, and the same height and I am 12 on the bottom and 14 on top!

UnderSkyofStars Wed 06-Mar-13 15:11:56

Have you got humungous ankles or something OP? Where is all the weight situated??

Bit rude.

I don't know where my humungous amount of weight is situated.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 06-Mar-13 15:13:14

OP, I'm the same height and weight as you and work in a customer facing role. I am not 'fat'. Yes, my BMI score defines me as overweight but I feel fit and healthy. I eat well and workout etc. DO NOT let size put you off applying for any job. Anyone who turns you down on that basis is not worthy of working for in the first place imo.

Farewelltoarms Wed 06-Mar-13 15:27:29

Me too - 10 and a half stone, 5 foot 7, and a size 12. Not slim, not fat, normal. I'm wondering where I'd put an additional 20lb and fit into a smaller size...
Anyway I always like fact that nice and always helpful women in sweaty Betty are normal sized. I also always have massive girl crushes on models in catalogue. If I buy the blouson fluoro over vest, will I also get long swishy pony tail and habit of running along beaches?

think it was obvious what pessary was saying you seem to be ignoring all kind words and being arsey for sake of it.

anyway I thought you were a lawyer? hmm but times are tough eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now