to ask the head to stop allowing this (warning: trivial)

(29 Posts)
parakeet Tue 05-Mar-13 22:02:06

We seem to get quite a lot of leaflets put in the children's bookbags for sports clubs, art classes, language clubs, that sort of thing. Some of them are held on the school premises (although privately run), some held elsewhere. We get at least one every half term for a football club called "Make me a professional" (even the name gets up my nose).

Would I be unreasonable to ask the head to stop all this? I am on the telephone preference service that's supposed to stop cold calls (much good that it does me), the equivalent one for direct mail and have a sign on my letterbox asking for no junk mail. But I have no opt-out for the junk mail in the book bags!

Iamsparklyknickers Tue 05-Mar-13 22:46:45

How about suggesting a weekly/fortnightly newsletter (if you don't already have one) and combing it with advertisement?

The school could either charge or advertise in exchange for goods (with a minimal charge for printng costs). Keeps it all in one place and is more likely to be read than a leaflet with no other information you might find relevant.

If a newsletter is too 20th century the concept copies over to emails easily enough.

If they don't have any type of bulk newsletter they should consider it anyway, saves everyone time and resources to send out general info for the school/particular years rather than everyone dealing with their own bits and bobs.

GW297 Tue 05-Mar-13 22:48:14

Clam - that's a great idea to say take one if you think you might be interested. I will try that in future.

Maybe ask the head if the adverts can go on the website or the leaflets can go in the entrance hall so parents can pick them up if they wish?

I also think it can't be very nice for parents who can't always afford them if the children keep asking to go to activities in the same way as television advertising. They end up feeling bad and that their child is missing out on something lots of other children may get to do and the child is left feeling upset and disappointed.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 05-Mar-13 22:56:45

I don't get why everyone is so pro being advertised at through their child's book bag confused

You could put a no junk mail sticker on dcs bookbag wink

Sparklingbrook Tue 05-Mar-13 22:59:46

I don't mind being advertised at if it's stuff the DC may enjoy. There's very often soccer camps in the holidays and the forms are sent in the bag so you can pre-book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now