For this to get up my nose

(13 Posts)
NotHerRealname Wed 06-Mar-13 12:00:01

Its pretty outrageous that schools can do this. I'm afraid I did send the slip back though. I know its wrong, but the school is in quite a deprived area and I just thought that maybe they need all the money they can get to stretch the budget further.
In my opinion these companies exploit anxious parents, who only want the best for their children. Its hard to resist the pressure to "top up" your childs education with tutoring, especially if you are aware that the school is not rated as outstanding by ofsted. The old doubts start to creep in that maybe the school are not doing enough. Its bollocks really though, but I bet I do end up buying in extra tutoring eventually.

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Mar-13 21:34:52

I can never understand the irony of schools doing this.

If they were worth their salt and kids were either struggling or bright enough to warrant further tutoring, the school should be providing that extra help.

My DS's school are always sending staff out to chase leafleters away from the school gates...then by the end of the day there'll be a letter sent out to parents explaining that these people are nothing to do with the school.

Growlithe Tue 05-Mar-13 21:33:57

Sorry about triple post. Ipad madness.

nearbathmum Tue 05-Mar-13 21:30:59

Our school sent this letter out last week, including the letter about the head/school not endorsing it and asking for a reply slip even if we don't want the tutoring. I threw it in the bin grin

wonders if OP lives near me

Growlithe Tue 05-Mar-13 21:30:49

Our school footy kit is sponsored by a tutoring company. hmm

Growlithe Tue 05-Mar-13 21:30:49

Growlithe Tue 05-Mar-13 21:30:48

exexpat Tue 05-Mar-13 21:19:20

Just to add - my DCs' old primary school actually let a private tutoring company into the school to do a kind of taster session during school hours, and then sent home leaflets about it. I presume cash was involved.

This was the same school where the head refused to give out a free local family listings magazine because it carried advertising for private schools hmm.

I don't think the school was paid to distribute the magazine, and I suppose she saw it as a threat (the school lost a lot of children to private schools before year 6) whereas the private tutoring company might boost Sats scores (the head was very keen on maintaining her league table position).

exexpat Tue 05-Mar-13 21:12:26

I presume the school is being paid to distribute it, or will get commission for anyone who signs up. I think it's rather unethical, but no doubt the head could argue that it's all funds for the stretched school budget.

I would be tempted to speak to the Head directly ( or chair of Governors) expressing your concern that the school is suggesting that its teaching is not enough, and , if they do not endorse the company, why on earth are they giving out leaflets?

80sMum Tue 05-Mar-13 20:51:48

They say they don't endorse this company, yet are openly advertising it and encouraging parents to enter into contracts with it? Sounds a bit odd. Presumably they get commission on new contracts?

Just treat it for what it is; advertising. Just chuck it away if not interested.

Seabright Tue 05-Mar-13 20:37:37

It would annoy me to. It's as if the school are saying "we aren't doing enough for your child, you need to pay extra". Would put me right off a school.

NotHerRealname Tue 05-Mar-13 20:31:58

My Ds is 4 and her school yesterday sent out a letter with a leaflet about private tutoring. The covering letter from the head said that they do not endorse this company but have been asked by the company to distribute information on their behalf. The letter then goes on to say could we please return the reply slip to let them know if we are interested by such and such date (in bold!)
I don't know why but this really did get up my nose. I think its a bit rich approaching parents of reception kids about private tutoring. The kids are 4 or 5 FFS! I had a good mind to chuck the bloody letter in the bin, but after talking to my friend she said that her kids school do this every year and get money for each slip sent back.
Is it me or is this just plain wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now