Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

..to want a refund if a pair of £120 boots break after 5 months?

(52 Posts)
PMTIsMe Tue 05-Mar-13 19:15:12

I don't really want a replacement since they have been shite generally so this is the last straw tbh. But the internet company I bought them from are ignoring me so not sure if IABU by thinking the boots should have lasted a bit longer!

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Mar-13 20:18:12

Get a grip, monkeyfacegrace.

I've never spent more than £50 on a pair of shoes in my life.

Get a grip?

Im not the one trying to get a refund on a pair of cheapish boots five months later.

OlderNotWiser Tue 05-Mar-13 20:34:58

Blimey. Op needs to get a grip?? Monkey if you can throw away £120 after 5 months then you lead a blessed life. Not everyone is so lucky.

noisytoys Tue 05-Mar-13 20:35:27

I don't think all my shoes added together total £120. If I did buy a pair that expensive and they only lasted 5 months I would be straight in the shop for a refund

AnnaRack Tue 05-Mar-13 20:43:34

I would have expected a pair of £120 boots to last more than 5 months. In fact I'd be disappointed if they only lasted 1 year. I usually pay £50-60 for mine and some are over 5 years old. Sou.ds like poor workmanship. Complain. Good luck! Yanbu.

IAmLouisWalsh Tue 05-Mar-13 20:45:26

Cheapish? Bloody hell. I begrudge paying half that!

nailak Tue 05-Mar-13 20:51:54

monkey I bought my ankle boots from new look for twenty pounds in the autumn, i wear them nearly every day (apart from when ir was snowing then i wore my knee length, fleece lined tescos boots bought for fifteen pounds)

I walk on average four miles every day (non including holidays) on the school run.

My boots are not broken.

If i made the investment of £120 on boots I would expect them to last 5 years at least.

PessimisticMissPiggy Tue 05-Mar-13 21:06:47

monkeyface shock hmmm, do you have more than £120+ to drop on a pair of new boots?

OP, I'd expect boots to last more than 5months

Definitely not fit for purpose, so unless you've been spending all day every day of the last five months pulling the zip up and down, it really shouldn't have gone. While I can understand they may be reluctant to refund at this point, they should be offering you a replacement or, at worst, a repair.

Monkeyface - it really is about the finish, not the price - I've bought £300+ boots before and had to bring them back due to heels going a year after purchase. It was clear they were not 'lived in' and was offered a refund or replacement with no questions asked (took the replacement and they then lasted about ten years, but just pointing out high cost does not always equal high quality). I've also spent well under £100 and had those last a number of years too.

If £120 is cheap, how is the average person meant to afford boots that last more than 5 months?

I wouldn't expect a zip to break unless you are trying to force them on (which you would be able to demonstrate to a high street shop was not the case, not sure about the internet).

Alright alright, fucking hell, I wasnt the only one to suggest that thats not a lot of money.

Didnt realise we all had to agree on AIBU grin

sparkle12mar08 Tue 05-Mar-13 21:17:55

You're on a hiding to nothing with the zip I'm afraid. They're almost never guaranteed. £120 is a lot of money, but sadly the quality we get for that money these days is often poor. I've been really disappointed with shoes and boots over the past few years, it just seems like you can't get anything really, really decent for that anymore, and I don't have more to spend. So I'm destined to feel resentful and ripped off.

Ah, you see, as long as there's one 'dissenter' (guess that's you tonight MFG wink then we're good to go!

Everyone agreeing on AIBU is a very strange thing to witness and usually drives me to drink...

[Ponders if nearly everyone agreeing also counts as unnerving enough and decides that it does. grin wine anyone?]

Blast, should have been a ')' after the wink , sorry.

Im already halfway down a bottle Moon. Hurry up, you are lagging behind grin

lynniep Tue 05-Mar-13 21:23:03

where did you buy them from? is be fuming tbh. the zip should still be functioning after 5 months, even if worn every day. keep on at them. sale of goods act and wotnot. I consider that a vast amount of dosh (bought fly boots for similar amount a while back and I expect them to last for years for that amount, not months)

(Hic!)

goods have to be fit for purpose, and within the first six months it is up to the retailer to prove that they are fit for purpose, and that the damage isn't just normal wear and tear

if the retailer continues to be arsey, then I suggest you tell them that you are going to seek advice from your local trading standards office.

I had to do this with moda in pella. I bought some converse light style suede trainers which had diamontes on the toes. I wore them twice and 1/2 of them fell off. they tried to argue that it was normal wear and year, and that I must have damaged them. I had driven to work in them, then walked the 200m to then sit at a desk all day!

they sent them to be repaired (ie the diamonties were stuck on again), and when they came back you could see the glue round them. I rejected them as I didn't deem them as new. I must have been in the shop for an hoursad

I would never buy from them again.

good luck

Cherriesarelovely Tue 05-Mar-13 21:46:40

A zip shouldn't break in boots after 5 months, no way. I usually wear my fly boots/shoes for ages before they wear down. I have found them to be absolutely fantastic so I think you were unlucky here.

Leather Tue 05-Mar-13 21:46:55

I returned my uggs last year to Cloggs due to broken zips. Unfortunately they never arrived to their returns depo (bloody Royal Mail!) but they refunded me in full, that's a sign of great customer service IMO.
I don't think 5 months is unreasonable, have you tried contacting Fly London directly?

I recently returned a pair of £30 boots after 4 months with no worries, full refund. I did have to e mail them a couple of times, but all in all only took about 3 weeks start to full refund. Also returned a bag to next after 7 months without any hassle!

Ps £120 is a lot for a pair of boots! At that price you expect something to last a good few years!

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 05-Mar-13 22:59:15

My friend returned a pair of £125 Bertie ankle boots about 4 months later to House of Fraser as the buckle on them had come loose, no drama at all, they didn't even query it and the boots were well worn.

I had previously told her she'd have no chance and that she had a right brass neck to even try it... Shows what I know!

Give it a try OP!

lljkk Netherlands Wed 06-Mar-13 08:21:18

Is it just the pull part of zip that came off, can it not be repaired in some way?

I try to avoid zippers on-anything I can, zips usually the first bit to fail on most things.

£120 is a lot imho, but it depends how often you've worn them, too. They will take general wear-n-tear of item in account, ime.

Schuh replaced my sandals after a year, but obviously this is England so sandals don't see much wear. They were generally in very good nick except where one bit had fallen apart. Similar experience with some expensive cycling sandals from Chain Reaction.

rollmopses Wed 06-Mar-13 08:26:48

How long do you expect cheap boots to last, pray tell? 120 pounds is not much for pair of boots, I am afraid, you get what you pay for. I have a pair of Tod's Chelsea boots that I wear all the time, in great condition. Bought them 15 years ago.
Quality does last.

Aspiemum2 Wed 06-Mar-13 09:23:03

£120 is not cheap boots and actually price isn't always indicative of quality. For the zip to break so quickly is ridiculous - items have to be fit for purpose regardless of price.
Yes quality does last but it needn't be expensive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now