Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

..to want a refund if a pair of £120 boots break after 5 months?

(52 Posts)
PMTIsMe Tue 05-Mar-13 19:15:12

I don't really want a replacement since they have been shite generally so this is the last straw tbh. But the internet company I bought them from are ignoring me so not sure if IABU by thinking the boots should have lasted a bit longer!

Earlybird Tue 05-Mar-13 19:16:16

Explain how a pair of boots can 'break' please.

ClippedPhoenix Tue 05-Mar-13 19:17:35

I don't really think you have a hope in hell of getting a refund after nearly half a year OP to be honest.

Yes, how did they break?

lottieandmia Tue 05-Mar-13 19:20:10

I think that after 5 months it might be down to the discretion of the company.

Having said that, I bought a mattress for a cot, which after about 5 months, sharp springs were sticking through. I phoned trading standards, they were not sure how much of a case I had but they contacted the company (Argos) and we were given a full refund!

So I think it's not clear cut. Maybe give trading standards a ring?

Ranthambore Tue 05-Mar-13 19:20:20

After five months it is entirely possible you've worn the hell out of them. Expecting a refund after that amount of time seems crazy IMO.

Buy cheap buy twice Im afraid.

Id say you have no chance, however unfair it feels.

shushpenfold Tue 05-Mar-13 19:21:22

I think you're BU....sorry. I wear the crap out of mine!

I bought a pair of £130 boots from office. The heel fell off the next day.... They wouldn't refund my money the arseholes!! They instead repaired them for me! Would never shop there again!!

After 5 months?.. Pushing it I think!

£120 for boots that you wear all the time isn't a lot tbh. Yabu to expect a refund after 5 months of wear.

notapizzaeater Tue 05-Mar-13 19:23:31

My big toe wore a hole in the top of my £180 uggs after 3 months - they told me my fault !!!

CloudsAndTrees Tue 05-Mar-13 19:23:36

What boots are they? Any chance of a linky please?

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 05-Mar-13 19:24:32

Yes after five days, or five weeks. After five months, no way!

redwellybluewelly Tue 05-Mar-13 19:24:35

Had this with a pair of Fly boots, the shop agreed they were poorly stitched (and were my second pair with first pair lasting years) but company flatly refused to replace or discount a replacement pair.

Pissed me right off and I'll never buy them again.

goingupinfumes Tue 05-Mar-13 19:29:16

Could you no argue that they are not fit for purpose after 5 months you would expect with normal wearing that they would last? It depends on the wear on the soles and heels that would be the giveaway - if you've worn them everyday I'd still say that's not value for money.

I've taken back 3 month old school shoes, bloody timberland £50+ the most expensive shoes in the shop for my DS who needs extra ankle support, 3 months later the toes were completly worn out the leather had literally dropped off the shoes, I got a replacement pair after a few words - and the same happened less than a few weeks later, it transpired it was a bad batch?

PMTIsMe Tue 05-Mar-13 19:29:41

It was Fly here too grin Intrigued that people think IABU! I think £120 is a lot!!
The zip came off in my hand to explain what has happened.
Hmph is all I can say!

Earlybird Tue 05-Mar-13 19:33:28

Take the boots to a shoe repair shop and find out what they would charge to put in a new zip.

"Buy cheap buy twice"...

£120 is cheap for boots? Really?
hmm

orangeandlemons Tue 05-Mar-13 19:36:47

If the zip has broken, then I would say they are faulty. I would expect a pair of boots to last more than 5 months. They should at least repair them.

Sale of Goods Act 1979

redwellybluewelly Tue 05-Mar-13 19:43:00

£120 is not a cheap pair!

The ones they were a replacement for are still going, 2 years later! I have had new soles but even so the staff agreed with me it was shoddy workmanship.

Speak to trading standards.

NomDeOrdinateur Tue 05-Mar-13 19:43:02

You should be entitled to a refund under SOGA as far as I can tell, as long as you have proof of purchase. You can easily argue that no reasonable person would consider the boots to be of sufficient quality. It's less than 6 months since you purchased them so it is the retailer's responsibility to prove that they are not defective (whereas over 6 months it would be your responsibility).

Good luck! smile

Cotapaxi Tue 05-Mar-13 19:44:17

God I buy expensive good quality things as a rule but even I would baulk at thinking £120 is cheap!

PMTIsMe Tue 05-Mar-13 19:45:03

Thanks! Was starting to think I was in a parallel universe where £120 isn't much shock Not fit for purpose was kind of my thinking.

Roseformeplease Tue 05-Mar-13 19:48:08

I bought boots from Long Tall Sally and the elastic broke. They replaced them after a year! There is excellent customer service out there.

landofsoapandglory Tue 05-Mar-13 19:55:48

£120 is a lot of money for boots IMO.

I'd want them repaired, TBH. I think after 5 months a refund is pushing it a bit, but I'd expect a £120 pair of boots to do more than one Winter.

I have a pair of leather boots I bought in Dorothy Perkins sale for £20 (reduced from £89) 7 years ago, and the grip on the soles hasn't even worn off yet!

Appy to accept if Im in the minority re price.

I couldnt find a decent pair of boots for £120 round here (assuming we are talking knee length, you may get ankle boots). Fly seem cheap and nasty to me, sorry.

Spend a little more, £2-300 at a reputable company like Russell and Bromley, and Ive had them last years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now