To get my face peirced?

(116 Posts)
coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 18:43:29

First I would like to say if you hate peircings regardless of age/gender etc please do not just say " no I hate them" or words to that effect as I am looking for unbiased opinions.
Ok, So I am 29 and have blue hair, usually red or some other 'interesting colour' I dress fairly conventional unless I am going out in an evening and then it is mostly 50's or Rockabilly.
In my teenage years I had both my lip and nose peirced and have now come to miss them!
Would I look really silly to get one or the other redone? If not which one?
My family seem to not like the idea and I would quite like to gather some other opinions.

Oh apologies for shit spelling and grammer as I am on my phone and it has no spell check blush

Quirky ladies ROCK my world grin

Imachocolateportal Tue 05-Mar-13 19:40:43

I am 28 and have still got got facial piercings, eyebrow and an anti eyebrow. So I think you should go for it! You know what you like and what will suit your face so I don't think you should let age worry you too much. I work in an office and no one ever treats me differently because of my tattoos and piercings in fact I have progressed very fast so I don't really believe when people say they will hold me back.

Petalpink Tue 05-Mar-13 19:42:27

I think you need to decide on your own with an issue like this. Seeking reassurance makes me feel like you are insecure in some way ?

Trifle Tue 05-Mar-13 19:44:05

I don't know many people who are happy to employ someone who looks like a cross between coco the clown and Sid snot.

I had many facial piercings when I was a teen and a lot of other obvious piercings elsewhere on my body. I took most out when I fell pregnant with DS, I still have cheek piercings though as I like them and would prefer that to the scars that would be left by them.

I wouldn't have any more now though and I am only 22, I still love them but it would seem odd to me now to start again out of my teens.

However, I am not you and you are probably comfortable starting again now, just remember that there are risks and you might not be happy with any scarring should you decide to take them out later.

mrsmindcontrol Tue 05-Mar-13 19:44:47

I got my lip pierced last year & I'm 39. I like the edgy look & tbh couldn't give a flying fucking shitbucket if people think I'm too old.

lauratheexplorer Tue 05-Mar-13 19:46:15

Go for it! I'm in my twenties and still rock my lilac hair and medusa piercing with two DD's! I'm going to say nose as I've been contemplating getting mine redone after a decade!

StuntGirl Tue 05-Mar-13 19:53:30

Well OP it entirely depends doesn't it. I am late twenties and have always had piercings. I personally don't think they look terrible on anyone regardless of age, but then, I am biased. Towards body piercings.

I always take the worst case scenario into consideration. Would you be able to leave the jewellery in for the duration of the healing period? Will you be willing to switch to retainers once healed if neccessary? Are you willing to accept they will mean some people will treat or perceive you differently?

Butkin Tue 05-Mar-13 19:54:18

One thing to colour your hair - which can be recoloured. Facial piercings - particularly in older faces - always seem so permanent (and I think aggressive). Aren't there other jewellery options that you could trial to see if you like them?

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 20:00:10

PETAL-I am deeply insecure, however this thread was just about gathering opinions
STUNTGIRL-yes to all those!

Ginebra Tue 05-Mar-13 20:03:09

Stormy, brew you're wrong to assume that your answer wouldn't be good enough for me. I did say that nobody is obliged to help me understand, but this is a thread on mumsnet. If I can't ask here, I doubt there'll be an opportunity where I feel more comfortable asking. I was grateful that you were 'bothered' to try and explain it. I am interested in people. I got my hair cut quite short recently as I felt that there wasn't much I could control. finances etc, it all seemed out of my control. And kind of on auto-pilot i felt compelled to get my hair cut. I guess I felt in charge of my own hairstyle grin which did help.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 05-Mar-13 20:05:51

I got my nose pierced today.

I had it done because its pretty and I like it.

It was pierced and I let it close. But I missed it. I have brown, blonde and pink dip dyed hair, and tattoos and am 34 years old and get no negative responses, have never been turned down for a job, and never no been taken seriously.

I'm not edgy in my style either.

TheOriginalLadyFT Tue 05-Mar-13 20:06:35

You've already said it wouldn't be an issue work-wise, but it might be worth bearing in mind for the future that some potential employers wouldn't like them.

It may not be a rational response, but in the days when I was interviewing, some one with facial piercings and/or wacky hair colour would automatically have started at a disadvantage with me. Partly I suppose because I associate them with teenage rebellion or a desire to be outside of societal norms and neither of those impulses are ones I'd be massively keen on as an employer (in my line of work anyway)

Having said that, I do occasionally see ones which I think look pretty cool - usually on late teen/early twenties age group. Tongue studs do make me cringe a bit though, especially when the piercee constantly flicks or rolls them with their tongue

StuntGirl Tue 05-Mar-13 20:08:06

Well then if you want it doing and you're happy to take the cost, responsibility and repercussions of having them done anyone else's opinion is pretty moot.

I've recently had several new piercings, I'm sure some people hate them but I'm sure I don't care!

PopeBenedictsP45 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:11:24

I can't say I'm big on facial piercings but I say go for it. The world would be pretty dull if we all did the same thing/dressed the same way. You can always take it out if you have a job interview with an investment bank. Although that doesn't sound likely!

coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 20:14:56

you sayin' im not smart pope hmm

PopeBenedictsP45 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:17:57

I'm just smiling imagining you in your rockabilly dress with your blue hair and piercings amongst all the suits in Canary Wharf. I know who I'd want to sit next to in that office!

45....nose done since i was 18

Zaphiro Tue 05-Mar-13 20:24:58

To me they seem like a badge of teenage rebellion unless they fit into your lifestyle/persona completely, like if you were a tattooist or in a punk band. If I met someone aged 30+ who dressed conservatively but had facial piercings, I would wonder why.

popcornpaws Tue 05-Mar-13 20:28:25

My dd (16) got snakebites last year and it looks great! I also saw someone with their dimples pierced and that was really nice too.
I'd say go for it, all the scare stories are mainly rubbish spouted by people that don't like them.

StuntGirl Tue 05-Mar-13 20:33:42

Not completely popcorn (although I appreciate the sentiment). All piercings - every piercing - carries some degree of risk. To blindly get pierced regardless of the consequences is a bit silly, but as long as someone is aware of any risks and takes appropriate steps to minimise them they should be fine.

I'm sure the OP will do any research required.

TheSecondComing Tue 05-Mar-13 20:42:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fouranddone Tue 05-Mar-13 20:51:47

Yuk yabvu

popcornpaws Tue 05-Mar-13 20:58:44

I don't think anyone is blindly getting pierced regardless of the consequences, the OP has had piercings in the past.

Goldendandelion Tue 05-Mar-13 21:17:33

Go for it. I'm 38 and have had my nose pierced for a couple of years now. I quite fancy another piercing but don't know which to go for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now