Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that anxiety should not stop me from getting this job, but it will :(

(21 Posts)
Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:14:27

Thanks frustrated x

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Tue 05-Mar-13 18:34:45

I had to see occupational health before I started, but they said I was fine to work in a school environment, and it hasn't stopped me doing my job. Cover teaching doesn't (usually) require you to provide pastorial care, so has different tick boxes with occupational health as you'll be classed as support staff, rather than teaching.
Don't write yourself off because of anxiety. You can do it.

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 16:45:08

greenfolder - sadly this is something I am reading over and over and you are right, the students ARE way down the list. It is all about stakeholders and ticking boxes. My manager basically passes the buck like its a hot potato and whenever i asked her for help the stock response was "ask x" In fact, she would go through the whole alphabet in order to avoid actually doing her job sad I wish i had the balls to stand up to her, but when your whole department is in the same boat its hard to be the one to stand up when you are new.

I AM worried this is going to jeopardize my future chances.

I am PhD qualified

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 16:39:45

No, willes it wasn't the job just the lack of support from management. I am not going to shoulder the responsibility for being crap. I did a bloody good job, with NO support whatsoever. I refuse to let that ruin things for me.

greenfolder Tue 05-Mar-13 16:37:53

a quick message of support

i went into fe teaching 18 mths ago- having been a professional trainer, having a masters degree and lots of experience. i am very resilient by nature.

i have never known anything like the fuckwittery which is FE. bad managers, who seem to be from the 1980s, back stabbing, blaming every one but yourself, putting students way down the list of priorities. and this is at a beacon college.

my reaction is that if this is the best, i want no part and am resigning tomorrow and going back to the world i know- where people more or less work together, have objectives, appraisals and decent pay.

i read something recently which roughly said "before you diagnose yourself with depression, stop and check; are you surrounding by idiots?"

what did you do before? Can you just go and do something else?

willesden Tue 05-Mar-13 16:23:42

Have you considered a career change as this one is causing you so much anxiety? Sometimes, it just isn't worth the stress.

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 14:58:43

When my boss tried to pile on more stuff i pointed out that i was suppsed to be signed off sick - err, that was an enjoyable moment really as she was squirming in her seat knowing she had probably broken a whole load of employment laws!

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 14:57:42

THe irony being that i did get signed off for stress but taught anyway as i didn't want the students to be affected.

Snoopingforsoup Tue 05-Mar-13 14:29:42

Oh, and I have worked in a College HR Department too if that's any reassurance. Go for the I/v. Do your best.

Snoopingforsoup Tue 05-Mar-13 14:28:05

I have had to declare anxiety on Occupational Health forms in new jobs. It's never stopped me getting a job. It's more so they are aware and can make sure your needs are met as much as anything. A good future employer shouldn't be asking this before an offer has been agreed anyway, surely that would be discrimination? Depending on the job etc. as long as you are generally fit for purpose, anxiety shouldn't go against you. You'd be amazed how many people get signed off with stress. Especially in financial climates such as ours. Good luck.

TanteRose Tue 05-Mar-13 13:00:26

no, def. go for the interview - you can turn this around

use the fact that you were willing to go the extra mile for the students

TanteRose Tue 05-Mar-13 12:59:42

you also showed commitment to the students - should count for something

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 12:59:07

i have an interview with them on thursday but dont want to put myself through it if i am wasting my time sad

TanteRose Tue 05-Mar-13 12:57:37

no, I don't think you have

plenty of people suffer from stress - that's why they want a new job

deep breath, phone them again and sound positive about your ability wrt new job

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 12:56:05

Not sure yet Tante, thanks - my doctor provided me with a sick note but i knew if i went sick the students would be stuffed as i was the only one who knew what was happening with their assesments so i didn't.

But i did tell my employers i was suffering from stress - i have shot myself in the foot haven't i

TanteRose Tue 05-Mar-13 12:55:08

sorry this is happening, by the way

must be very frustrating

TanteRose Tue 05-Mar-13 12:54:27

OK, so are you sure there is no job?

you need to explain what the real situation is, that you weren't actually signed off work

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 12:51:52

can anyone help me?

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 12:46:32

anyone??

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 12:31:28

So the "signing off" never really happened as I still have the note from the doctor in my bag.

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 05-Mar-13 12:27:54

So I am trying to get a job as a cover supervisor

I currently teach in a FE college but have had to reduce my hours. One of the reasons is that i got NO support from management and had a mountain of admin to deal with that all got on top of me. I was bascially fucked over by my boss.

I was "signed off" with stress but then agreed to go into work despite this as I was the only one who knew how to due the controlled assesments this week.

Now the Health assesment form has asked if i have had any issues that have affected my work - well, yes, the anxiety - but not officially signed off. I phoned the agency but the guy was suddenly very evasive. So now i suspect there will be no job.

Fuck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now