Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think being engaged in class is a good thing

(80 Posts)
ScreamingFoxtrots Tue 05-Mar-13 11:57:04

I'm back at university as a mature student and yesterday had a bit of a run in with one of our lecturers. I should probably caveat this with a yes, I know I'm keen and there to learn, but what's the point in shelling out £27,000 for a degree and not being engaged!

In the lecture yesterday it seemed like most of the class were asleep/playing on their mobiles/chatting/looking out of the window. Now that's their look out but I'm there to learn. The lecturer asked questions, and each time I waited until he had asked it a second time (allowing others to answer) before responding. On the third question he said "others can answer too" and then followed it up with "and if they don't know I can tell them the answer".

AIBU to think that his comment was ridiculous? I wasn't being a smug know-it-all, and even if I was I'm entitled to give the answers to the questions he asked! How has being engaged and paying attention become a bad thing?

poppypebble Tue 05-Mar-13 20:25:46

Littleturkish, I teach A Level History and we do have 2 periods a week of guided research which leads to a 3,500 word essay. That isn't spoonfed at all. When Ofsted aren't there I teach the way that will get my students through the exam and I'm afraid that isn't always entertaining. There is only so much fun that can be had with 16th century Privy Councillors, and most of that with the Earl of Essex. smile

We regularly discuss our 'Ferris Bueller' moments in the staffroom, where you stand there going 'anyone, anyone' as the silence drags. I do tell my sixth-formers that it is going to be excruciating in a seminar if they just sit there in silence - and that there is no place to hide at university. That said, I don't think anyone but the lecturer ever spoke in a lecture when I was at university. If you had questions you stayed behind or went to office hours.

HollaAtMeBaby Tue 05-Mar-13 20:34:15

YANBU and for those who say "nobody likes a know-it-all" and "you shouldn't answer every question" - bollocks. If nobody else has the brains or the guts to speak up, you go for it, OP! You made it clear you were waiting for others to answer and they didn't. Maybe they haven't had the benefit of a good education (I went to the sort of schools that have small class sizes and high standards, and if you tried to hide or tune out you'd be put on the spot and made to answer a question), maybe they're lazy or hungover or bored or shy or just plain thick, but none of that is your concern. Make the most of your time in university - you'll get out what you put in and so will your classmates.

cumfy Tue 05-Mar-13 20:56:14

In your position I'd be more concerned that the class is holding you back (rather than question etiquette).

Are you still really happy with your choice of uni ?
How is it you're apparently lumbered with these less able classmates ?

LadyIsabellaWrotham Wed 06-Mar-13 16:10:16

We used to have a blind lecturer who would call out questions to class member names at random. We dreaded it but it kept us on our toes grin

piprabbit Wed 06-Mar-13 16:17:09

Can you talk to him? Ask him how you should handle it next time, that you feel a bit embarrassed to be the only one answering but feel it's rude to ignore him.

TBH he should have been a bit more challenging to the other students to try and get them answering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now