Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To keep a punishment going despite illness

(107 Posts)
LtEveDallas Tue 05-Mar-13 10:09:47

OK MN Jury, do your worst grin. I don't think I'm BU, but promise not to be "one of those" posters.

Last week DD (7) did something very naughty. Her punishment was no 'screens' for a week ie no phone/computer/iPad. I gave the punishment (supported by DH) on Thu.

Yesterday she was sent home from school an hour early with a temperature and headache - she's been 'off colour' all weekend, but seemed better yesterday morning.

Last night she asked if she could go on the iPad and I said no. She didn't push the issue and there was no sulking or anything. She knows exactly why she is being punished.

She woke up crying this morning, complaining of a headache and sore throat. He temp was 38.7, so I've kept her off school again.

DH is a SAHD. I've just had a call off him to tell me she's feeling much better, her temp is back down to 37 and is asking for the iPad. He wants to say yes, I've said no. He is now in a snit with me <<grumpy arse emoticon>>

So, am I being too harsh? I don't think I am, but do you keep punishments going if your DC are ill?

thinking1 Tue 05-Mar-13 13:33:20

PMSL at Kimorama's ridiculous statements. Bribery? Does that mean saying to OP's DD "That was a naughty thing to do DD. I will give you sweets/money/clothes/something you want if you never do that again".

DD then thinks hmmmmmmm, what shall I do next? If I do something EVEN NAUGHTIER, Mum/Dad will offer me sweets/money/clothes/something I want x 2 so that I never do that again".....

Great outcome hmm

Iggly Tue 05-Mar-13 13:33:55

7 year old has an iPad?!

<stirs>

YANBU OP

thinking1 Tue 05-Mar-13 13:35:50

And as for saying that removing an ipad for this action is akin to being a character in Dickens. Well, words fail me. In Dickens time, the child would maybe have been sent to a workhouse, flogged, made to carry round a sign saying "thief", put into adult prison. The removal of the privilege of playing on a little screen compared to those methods of public and horrific humiliation? hmm

Hissy Brazil Tue 05-Mar-13 14:09:29

Yanbu, the iPad needs to stay off limits. She knows what she's doing, and this is a ruse to get you to buckle.

My DS would be punished in exactly the same way, if ever he did this.

In fact, I'm going to toughen up on the 1-day bans for not coming off the tech when I ask him to. The shouting rings true here too.

This thread is really helpful actually! grin

SminkoPinko Tue 05-Mar-13 15:14:48

good luck dealing with the grumpy ill people, op!

Yfronts Tue 05-Mar-13 15:44:27

No shes got TV

thinking1 Tue 05-Mar-13 15:54:41

Glad the shouting when asked to turn off (esp when they've been told how long they've got til we have to leave to go somewhere) isn't just my kids!!!! The 2 day ban has worked wonders - because DS now has to think about the consequences of refusing to stick to his part of the deal, and shouting at me. This isn't me imposing my great big adult "you will do as I say" will on him - it's to do with us having negotiated a position that he has then gone back on - hence not allowed on again for a couple of days so he can reflect on what might have been a better choice......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now