Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

slapped child

(30 Posts)
bangwhizz Tue 05-Mar-13 09:42:35

Want to be very general here. DD goes to an afterschool club which is not I don't think run by the school, an instructor comes in. She said 'I will slap anone who make xxx mistake'.DD did make that mistake and she slapped her arm.
I have had corroboration of events from another child there who said it wasn't a hard slap but definitely a salp.When I asked whether them if it was done in a jokey way they said they weren't sure -maybe it was.
It doesn't sit easy with me and obviously DD would not have told me about it if she hadn't thought it odd. She is 10. would you m,ention it to anyone?

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 06-Mar-13 08:27:52

Well, you go to her, obviously.

I was on your other thread, you didn't seem to know who was running the club which, to be honest, given you were leaving your child there, I found odd.

Now you do, so you go and play hell with them.

bangwhizz Wed 06-Mar-13 08:25:49

I have spoken to the school about it but they say it is nothing to do with them.All they do is rent the hall to this woman's business.
I don't know who to go to because she is the business owner.

Clawdy Tue 05-Mar-13 16:33:25

I suspect it was a joke but it's a very foolish joke for anyone working with children to do.

shockers Tue 05-Mar-13 16:22:55

If it was meant as a joke, the lady should have known your DD well enough to know whether or not she would understand and take it as such. Clearly she did not, so at best this was misguided.

Tailtwister Tue 05-Mar-13 14:55:17

Yes, you should definitely mention it. Even if it was said as a joke, it's not acceptable.

Icelollycraving Tue 05-Mar-13 14:51:49

Entirely unacceptable! I'm suprised you even need to ask.

weegiemum Tue 05-Mar-13 13:36:29

This isn't just wrong. It's serious professional misconduct. As a teacher I'd expect to be suspended pending investigation if I slapped a child!

MajaBiene Tue 05-Mar-13 13:35:56

Probably a joke, but not acceptable.

IllGetOverIt Tue 05-Mar-13 13:34:15

Bet she wouldn't have done and said it had you been in the room.

Complain.

DorsetLass Tue 05-Mar-13 13:34:02

Would be livid - but calm complaint as above best way forward - although I would be very firm there was an actioned response.

nannyof3 Tue 05-Mar-13 13:31:34

Sorry but i would hit her!!

I know this is not the answer but if she put her hand on my child, she wud not have the opportunity to do it again!!!!!!

Complain !!!!

ukatlast Tue 05-Mar-13 13:09:10

How weird? Mistake in a game or what? YANBU. Find out more.

If you wanted to take this far, you could log the incident with the police as a common assault. That is an assault with fist or hand only; resulting in no or minor trifling injury.

The defence that the after school club personcould use, is that of loco parentis under Section 58 of the Children Act 2004. Provided that the person in question could show that slapping your child's arm was a reasonable chastisement.

For making a mistake, not being naughty. I don't think they have a leg to stand on. But I'm not a legal rofessional.

YANBU. Go and complain.

Poppet48 Tue 05-Mar-13 11:12:31

I would be furious OP!

Definitely complain, It is completely wrong even if it was a joke.

Jenny70 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:55:11

Not appropriate at all,

But I can see how perhaps it was said in a jokey way - "anyone starting a sentence with Then will be slapped" - ie. please don't this, I can't read another sentence starting with Then...

But actually slapping child on the arm (unless a fake slap in jest), is wrong.

I think mentioning it to someone (?HT, after schoool club contact) is the correct thing to do, but I wouldn't go in "all guns blazing" unless I knew more about what lead to it.

gerbilsarefun Tue 05-Mar-13 10:27:01

I agree with the other posters, go and tell the school, this is unacceptable IMO. I wouldn't tap, or threaten to tap a child at school in a jokey way, except my dd (I'm a midday supervisor).

JohnBender88 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:12:38

A teacher hit my hand between her hand and the desk when I was 6. She was sacked straight away. "Jokey" or not, it's not acceptable.

Absolutely unacceptable. I'm a Brownie Leader and this kind of behaviour is absolutely forbidden. Even in jest, even "light slaps". It's wrong. Please do complain.

steppemum Tue 05-Mar-13 10:01:57

PS in these situations a calm reasonable complaint goes a lot further than an angry upset one.

steppemum Tue 05-Mar-13 10:00:15

not acceptable in any way.

No adult should smack or hit any child in their care (this is not part of the 'smacking' debate, that is soley around parents, this adult is not the parent)

I am pretty sure it is illegal.

What to do? First complain. Phone up school, ask who runs club. Tell the school of the incident. I suggest you ask to speak to someone other than the secretary. EG in our school one of the teachers is a community teacher and she overseas afterschool clubs. (you may need to wait for her to phone back, make sure she knows it is urgent.
School should be horrified by the incident, and act. Ask the school specifically what it will do.

If school says it is none of their business as they don't run club, point out it is run on their premises. Get the name and number of person responsible for club. Phone them and report incident.

If none of these routes gets action, then put the complaint in writing to the school and club organisers.

Do think about the action you want - do you want this person sacked? Do you want an apology from organisers and assurance it won't happen again? What action do you want to see?

MolotovCocktail Tue 05-Mar-13 09:59:39

Yup - and their contract removed. No adult would ever slap either of my DDs and get away with it.

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 05-Mar-13 09:57:25

Absolutely mention it. This is clearly not a class teacher but an external sports club; even the mere threat of slapping someone is bad enough. This person was behaving entirely inappropriately and needs to be disciplined.

aldiwhore Tue 05-Mar-13 09:56:40

Even in jest it's unacceptable. I would certainly be having a word (a calm one initially) with the Head.

GooseyLoosey Tue 05-Mar-13 09:53:02

Yes I would mention it. Even if it was done in a jokey way, it is not appropriate.

Littleturkish Tue 05-Mar-13 09:52:37

This is dreadful- modelling terrible behaviour.

Complain, loudly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now