Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder what the actual hell is going through

(16 Posts)
Mrsrobertduvall Tue 05-Mar-13 18:15:47

I have turned into a road with a teenager totally unaware of my presence...earphones in.
I got really close to her and beeped my horn. She nearly pooed her pants.
And I got the usual "WTF"

helendont Tue 05-Mar-13 18:01:55

My MIL was driving home yesterday at school chucking out time when there were hundreds of teenage kids on the pavements walking along plus plenty of cars and noticed a girl up ahead dash across the road. This girl ended up betting knocked over by the car coming towards my MIL in the other side. Thankfully the traffic was going pretty slowly so the girl wasn't badly hurt but could have been a lot worse. I don't remember thinking I was so invincible when I was that age!

Startail Tue 05-Mar-13 15:04:35

I love the idea of donor cards.

It would have been very temping to send them to the HTs of the two schools nearest my student digs.

Big secondaries, at one the teens raced across the road out if the trees at the edge of the park.

At the other they sat on the barriers and deliberately played chicken with the cars.

Both roads were 40 mph duel carriageways, had they miss timed it or slipped they would have been dead.

Startail Tue 05-Mar-13 14:58:09

I get both, teens wandering into the road by school and grown men wandering across the high street.

Particularly seems to be workmen in big, probably steel toed boots. Not quite sure why this protects you against cars and prevents you using 2 perfectly good pelicans.

mummymeister Tue 05-Mar-13 13:37:13

the local senior school lets kids out 10 mins before my son's school. there was one particular group who i swear used to wait for me then walk out in a long line (think the beatles in abbey road) had weeks of this - tried all sorts of things, turning engine off, smiling, waving, getting cross. one menapausal day i stopped got out of the car and gave them all donor card forms and said that if they were going to get killed then at least someone else could use their organs. it stopped.

DoIgetastickerforthat Tue 05-Mar-13 13:05:27

Grown men do it round here, it's a power thing "yeah, I can make you wait cos I am the King of Twats, innit". Like Freddie says, a quick rev of the engine can motivate them to shuffle their baggy arse off the road.

freddiefrog Tue 05-Mar-13 09:59:17

The ones here behaves like toomany describes as well

I find a nice rev of the engine speeds them up a bit. One did it to me last week and after a rev from he, he obviously thought i was going to run him over, he ran so fast his low slung trousers ended up round his knees

weegiemum Argentina Tue 05-Mar-13 09:58:32

I think I remember reading somewhere that teenagers are the age group most likely to be knocked over on the roads - they're mucking about with their mates, or away in a wee dream, or got such loud music goingon in their ears that they hear neither cars nor horns. Hoods up and long fringes don't help either!!

CelticPixie Tue 05-Mar-13 09:55:54

They just don't think. They are completely wrapped up in themselves.

We were driving home on Sunday, on the main road to our village, and when we rounded a corner there were at least a dozen tweenage boys walking/scooting along in the middle of the road.

DH gave them a beep (to let them know he was there, not an angry one) and when they turned around to look they seemed surprised and amazed that a car was actually on the road hmm

They very reluctantly moved over. I'm remembering the term "immortal teenagers" , it's perfect grin

Oh God, it's just like this at ds's school too! I've actually nearly run over one of his best friends....twice! He just stepped straight into the road right in front of the car - the second time he actually walked into the side of the car. shock Fortunately for both of us, I was crawling along at about 5mph due to the hordes of bikes all over the road - 4 or 5 abreast - and the groups of kids who just shove each other off the pavement for no apparent reason.
There's a zebra crossing which is completely ignored, and slightly further down the road, a t junction, where they all just carry on walking without looking in any direction at all. Except perhaps to glare and mouth a wee obscenity at me when I used the horn to indicate that perhaps they might like to get out of the path of the oncoming vehicle with the right of way. I think I've only ever used my car horn outside that bloody school!
I think in most cases it is completely a sense of entitlement.....they're teenagers...they're always right, and they know everything...did you not know that?!

CalamityKate Tue 05-Mar-13 09:46:51

The ones round here behave how toomany describes.

Leaning on the horn often causes even the coolest "I don't care, I own the universe and you WILL wait for me to move in my own good time" kid to squawk and scurry in a comical fashion. You have to time it right though.

Cheeio26 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:45:43

Lol to toomany. That's totally it, the glance from under the fringe saying look at me-the big I am.

toomanycourgettes Tue 05-Mar-13 09:41:22

It's rebellion and entitlement in equal measure. The kids round here walk out then when they get to the middle of the road they s-l-o-w down and glance rebelliously at the car drivers from under their flicky fringes as if to say 'I'm tough and I can do whateva I want'. 'Tis hilarious - same with rubbish throwing - it's rebellion innit! I've said to a couple of litter throwers - ooohh, get you, all Jimmy Dean......they just look at me as if I'm crazy.

HecateWhoopass Tue 05-Mar-13 09:40:21

We call them Immortal Teenagers. grin

They just don't think. It's not that they're stupid, it's just that they're kids. Heads in the clouds, not good at risk assessment. They're miles away. I don't think that they are arrogantly expecting all traffic to stop for them. I don't think they consider the traffic.

Cheeio26 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:37:06

Teenagers heads when they walk into the road without looking. I was doing the school run this morning and numerous kids outside the comprehensive were walking into the main road outside the school without even glancing at the traffic. Plain stupidity or some warped sense of entitlement?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now