"For World Book Day please send your child to school dressed as a....

(100 Posts)

....BADGER"

Just. Fucking. Why.

She is ten FFS and she doesn't want to dress as a cocking badger any more than I want to spend tomorrow scouring the charity shops in our arse end of nowhere one horse shitsville town for black and white clothing.

Arrrrgggghhhhh angry

INeverSaidThat Tue 05-Mar-13 00:03:31

A wiki page on fictional badgers grin grin

That's made my day.

(It was surprisingly informative, who would have thought there would be so many)

Jux Tue 05-Mar-13 00:04:58

Bane of primary school, World Book Day. At dd's they used to give a prize for the best costume. It invariably went to a child whose parents had bought a costume from Tesco. Princess Fiona won one year!

INeverSaidThat Tue 05-Mar-13 00:10:40

Here is some good Wikipedia bedtime reading on......

Fictional hamsters

Fictional sheep

and, even,

Fictional Pachyderms confused

EduCated Tue 05-Mar-13 00:15:31

Nah, phone up and say she's been culled <extra evil>

zipzap Tue 05-Mar-13 00:16:07

dress up as a paint brush or shaving brush... or carry one instead - aren't they made of badger hair? Or at least the very old ones originally were and the very expensive ones these days!

Just dress all in one colour to be the handle and then have either hair sticking up on top if easy or tie some long 'hairs' to go from knee to ankle (crepe paper, long shred A4 paper, strands of wool, etc) so that they waft around each leg and and look like they could be used to paint with.

or are there any other uses etc for badger that she could adapt as a minimal effort costume?

zipzap Tue 05-Mar-13 00:19:04

DS2's school is doing 'bedtime stories' as their theme - which means take in your favourite bed time story and go dressed in PJs and Dressing Gown, which takes the stress out of it somewhat.

DS1 on the other hand asked to go as James Bond and wanted me to buy him all the necessary real gadgets so he could be accurate hmmgrin Needless to say if he was older and had a suit then it would have been an easy one, minus the gadgets unless he fashions them himself out of paper. But as he hasn't that one is off the list too.

Just wondering if I can convince him to be a badger...

Allalonenow Tue 05-Mar-13 00:20:58

I've been glum all day, but have laughed at this thread, especially the TB,

Dear Miss, sorry my daughter is not attending today, she is frightened there will be a cull. Yours, Mrs Brock

It's unreasonable but hilarious!!!

sashh Tue 05-Mar-13 04:06:32

Some badgers are red, the same colour as foxes.

I'd be tempted to send her with just a head, complete with dripping blood because the only badgers I've seen are roadkill.

World book day for us is a voucher for money off a book. That is it. No costumes, no drama.

I don't know if I should feel relieved that I don't have to make a costume or disappointed <confused>

TiggyD Tue 05-Mar-13 08:24:29

Badgers aren't fictional. Badgers are real. I've seen one.
(Could have been a small child on their way home after World Book Day I suppose)

YANBU

DesiderataHollow Tue 05-Mar-13 09:02:43
StellaNova Tue 05-Mar-13 09:08:30

Perhaps they are having a Badger Parade

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Mar-13 09:18:26

That's classic, OP. I vote for temporary spray colour in her hair - if you can get white you could use it to spray a white stripe down the back of a black/grey T shirt as well.

This is clearly the sort of thing which happened when DD's teacher's daughters were at school. It would explain why she is scarred for life so opposed to dressing up days. They take it in turns to organise WBD, and when it is her turn (this year) there is absolutely no dressing up grin.

Mydelilah Tue 05-Mar-13 09:20:22

Our school is doing this but we get to choose the character. My DD is going as Lola from C&L. Mainly because she looks like Lola all the time (lazy)

hellsbells76 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:22:19

DS (10)thought he'd had a brilliant idea and announced he was going as Arthur Dent (so he wouldn't even need to change out of his pjs). Now I've made him make his own accessories (babel fish out of fimo, book with Don't Panic in large friendly letters (cut out and coloured in) on the cover and cup of tea (mug filled with brown paper)) he's realised it wasn't quite the doss-option he'd originally thought. Bwahaha.

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Mar-13 09:31:16

hellsbells I hope he will also be wearing a grubby dressing gown and carrying a towel?

hellsbells76 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:34:20

Yes! (His dressing gown's quite grubby anyway grin). And a towel, of course.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Tue 05-Mar-13 09:39:09

DD's school are doing 'flags'. DD's class are reading a book from/about Mexico and are to come dressed in the colours of the flag.

Seems simple enough.

NO!

DD owns NOTHING green and the only red she has is a party dress.

I am considering just sending her in with a Mexican flag lazy parent wink

aldiwhore Tue 05-Mar-13 09:42:10

Maybe it's the head's way of joining WBD with a protest about the Badger cull?

Are there any FEMALE fictional badgers?

Wallison Tue 05-Mar-13 09:46:35

Phone the school and say that David Archer has baited her and that you are now consequently suing them.

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Mar-13 09:58:42

this is what you need (except of course that you now have no time left to order anything!)

MiaowTheCat Tue 05-Mar-13 10:17:02

Ex-teacher... fecking hate dress up days. The morning a colleague had to go get milk for the staffroom around Tesco dressed as Pinocchio complete with full hired (cheating bitch) outfit including ledehosen (and I know I ain't spelt that right) was an interesting one.... the fact the buggers always cheated and dress-hire-shopped their outfits - grrrr.

Go in on the morning, look for the class who bagged the easy ones like Where's Wally... send murderous looks to the teacher in question.

Bogeyface Tue 05-Mar-13 10:20:39

One thing I am grateful for is that our school have combined Comic Relief day with WBD so are doing it all on the 15th. Usually they have a pyjama day or similar for RND as well as dressing up for WBD, so at least this way I only have one day to think about. Matching pyjama tops and bottoms are akin to finding the holy grail in our house, fancy dress is marginally easier! grin

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Mar-13 11:32:47

LOL Bogeyface. Any time one of my DC has needed Pyjamas for dress up days/school trip/sleepover it has caused me to reevaluate their pyjamas, and generally buy new ones blush.

DD was given posh Cath Kidston PJ's (by someone else) for Christmas, and has now become all picky about wearing matching PJ's (fine by me, as long as she finds them herself).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now