...to cut off DS' hair when he is asleep? [lighthearted]

(25 Posts)
RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 21:19:51

DS is 2.6. He is not reasonable. He is particularly not reasonable about having his hair cut. He goes crazy about it to the extent that he's too strong and I can't actually safely chop it. He has been to see his dad get his hair cut many times but runs away screaming "no hair chop chop chop" if it is even suggested that he undergo the same process.

He's got this hair that grows at a rate of knots and is really thick. I know some boys look really cute with lots of hair, all ruffled, charming and lovely. DS just looks like he has slept in a bin. A sticky bin.

So I cut it quite heavily tonight when he fell asleep. He won't care what he looks like while awake, so I see this as a win-win: no conscious haircut for him, no boy-who-slept-in-a-bin for me.

DH looked at me as if I was mad when I came downstairs wielding the scissors and a look of triumph. I think he is of the opinion that I have somehow violates DS' human rights by cutting his hair while asleep.

So AIBU? (And at what age does this become totally unacceptable if it isn't already...?)

Hardly a human rights issue! <Snurks at Ruby's DH's comment> I used to have to do this all the time when DS was small, during his nap. Once, it took 2 days to cut his hair because he woke half way through. Not so much that he was distressed by the hair cutting, more that he would constantly wriggle and turn his head, trying to see what I was doing. Asleep, his head stayed still. YANBU. I honestly can't remember when I stopped - when he would sit still for the hairdresser I suppose. 3?

missusmrs Mon 04-Mar-13 21:36:48

Done it!
Alternative which also works-toy story on laptop, packet of choc buttons and chopping like lighting!
Hey whatever it takes!

RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 21:37:28

Thanks for the YANBU vote. DH has already popped in and sniggered at my handiwork. Apparently cutting DS' hair in semi-darkness hasn't really improved his bin-fresh looks......grin

RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 21:39:25

Miss, I've tried:

Phone games
Food
TV
A sweet

...as bribes. But sadly DS informed me today that he wants nothing as much as not to have his hair cut. I can't bribe my way out of this one.

Smartiepants79 Mon 04-Mar-13 21:49:56

I know of at least one other mum who has to do this.
You are not hurting him.
He is 2 and therefore won't care what he looks like.
It saves the screaming.
GO FOR IT!

HildaOgden Mon 04-Mar-13 21:53:35

I'm sorry,but the 'no hair,chop chop chop' comment made me laugh grin

Keep him away from mirrors tomorrow in case he spots it!

RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 21:58:13

Luckily he just kisses himself in mirrors and says "mmm kisses for [DS' name]" in a very pleased way. So it's unlikely he'll notice the hair....grin

PopMusic Mon 04-Mar-13 21:59:28

I don't blame you for this, I would have done it too but DP wouldn't let me. My DS was a nightmare until the last 2 cuts and he is nearly five.

musickeepsmesane Mon 04-Mar-13 22:09:34

my son is 27. Do you think I have missed the cut off confused age for this?? His wife would pay me good money to sneak in and cut his hair when he was asleep!!!

RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 22:11:19

I think you should go for it, Music. If your son's partner is also on board, he'll have to split the blame for the violation of his human rights between you. Clever thinking....

musickeepsmesane Mon 04-Mar-13 22:21:21

To be completely safe alcohol would need to be involved Ruby. Then we could tell him he did it himself, thats if he realised something was different.... He never looks in the mirror anyway so I reckon he would never know his rights has been invaded smile

RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 22:32:32

Ah so nothing changes then, Music? Good to know that I may be able to get away with this for another few decades if necessary....

shrimponastick Mon 04-Mar-13 22:59:02

Good work.

I would love to cut my DS hair off in his sleep. However as he is 15 its a bit more difficult.

I did use to clip his nails whilst he was asleep when he was younger though...

Flojobunny Mon 04-Mar-13 23:05:07

Not with hair but my DS was (and still is at 7 yo) terrified of having his toe nails cut so I do them when he's asleep, even now.

poodletip Mon 04-Mar-13 23:23:22

I used to do DS1s hair while he sat playing in the bath.

blackeyedsusan Mon 04-Mar-13 23:29:33

dd dd not get her hair cut. being a girl helps!

ds on the other hand. well I breast fed him and cut his hair. it left bit of a mullet/ponytail thing that had to be corrected in the dark in the cot whilst he was deeply sleep.

we have had a mullet thing going on when he got fed up half way though a cut.

now though, he likes his hair cut. there is hope!!

AngryGnome Tue 05-Mar-13 06:04:51

Another midnight hairdresser here too! Ds, 2.3, has fast growing hair ad every time I try to cut it has taken to running around hysterically wailing 'no sharp-sharps near babygnome, babygnome has beautiful hair, BEAUTIFUL' hmm

BikeRunSki Tue 05-Mar-13 07:54:47

My friend used to do this. Her sub has lovely ginger curls. She thought he'd probably get teased for this when he was older, so, from a very young age she made a big deal of him having beautiful hair. Cue lots of screaming about " don't cut my beautiful hair" when he was older. He never noticed when she cut it in his sleep though. He is a teen now and has stood up to playground taunts well wink

greenfolder Tue 05-Mar-13 09:06:08

my dear nephew (who is now grown up) was a little bugger for having his hair cut when a toddler

dsil, who is a fine woman and the person i learnt my parentlng skills from, dosed him up with phenergans- might be illegal now- then took him out for a walk in the buggy, and hairdresser cut his hair whilst he was sleeping in the buggy. He went from long girly hair to a practical buzz cut.

his comment at nursery was "my hair falled off"- been used in the family ever since

OrangeforDd Tue 05-Mar-13 09:13:52

YANBU I had to do this when Ds was small, for a couple of years. It was the sound of the scissors cutting the hair that he really disliked. So he would move frantically to get away from the scissors. At this point taking him to the hairdresser was impossible. The best solution was to trim it when he was asleep. Eventually he grew out of it and we found a gentle sympathetic female barber!

CrumblyMumbly Tue 05-Mar-13 09:30:21

YANBU - My DD regularly visits what I call 'The Dreams Salon" where several treatments are available while you sleep! Fringe cutting/manicure/pedicure/ lipsalve and face cream application etc! All these things are impossible/dangerous/messy while madam is awake! I only wish I could get tooth cleaning done then too but that's pushing it a bit! She's 2.5 now and lets me do her nails without too much fuss...the teeth are still a battle - sigh.

Flobbadobs Tue 05-Mar-13 09:32:38

Did this for ages on DS, cut one side, roll him over, cut the other! Perfectly acceptable way of cutting a childs hair imo. YANBU

RubyrooUK Tue 05-Mar-13 09:44:48

Sorry, actually snorted in public with laughter at Greenfolder's nephew being taken out for a walk where the hairdresser attacked him in his pushchair while asleep. That is genius. grin

Sadly DS hasn't used his pushchair in well over a year as he runs away from it hysterically shouting "no chair no chair no chair mummy don't do it".

Actually there is a theme in his behaviour here....

RubyrooUK Tue 05-Mar-13 09:50:56

I also like the Dreams Salon. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now