cross with friend

(76 Posts)
pinkpaws Mon 04-Mar-13 18:22:54

Hi i want to ask if you think i am being unreasonable was out a few nights ago with a group of people and after a few drinks the topic became about religion i am catholic the friend in question is not. We are good friends as are our children and i am very fond of both her kids. I said when my DD grows up and met someone i would if it where my choice which i know it is not i would rather she married an other catholic. But as long as she was happy that would be fine. my friend to cut a long story short was very cross and said that ment i didnt think her kids where as good as mine I have no idea how she came to that conclusion . this is a women who is well educated and has sense well i thought she had sense . please advise

MidnightMasquerader Tue 05-Mar-13 23:56:54

I'm pret sure that MIL sometimes secretly gets a bit wistful that DH didn't marry a nice Catholic girl. Although, if I'm honest, she could probably have made her peace with the non-Catholicism, if I hadn't moved him to the other side of the world! in all fairness though - she has been utterly magnanimous about both.

OP - YANBU to have a preference for your children. We all do, about all sorts of things - most of which we probably have zero control over. It's nice to wish, though.

Y are BU, though, to voice that opinion and to fully and unquestioningly expect it to be well-received. Come on - since when has religion ever been a nice, benign, bonding topic?! grin <hoots>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now