To think that parents sound stupid when they use baby talk?

(69 Posts)
Samu2 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:19:39

I was out walking my dog and a mother stopped me so her nursery age child could look at my "woo woo" "Look at the cutey woo woo"

It's a dog not a bloody cutey woo woo!

I admit that I might be more easily annoyed today because I have an infection in my gum and didn't sleep.

The bottom line for me is that you do what works in your own family - you use words and tones of voice that the children respond to, and you use 'in jokes' too, and you shouldn't give a bugger if anyone else thinks you sound stupid - frankly it does them no harm, so why should they worry?

Dannilion Tue 05-Mar-13 19:18:17

DM still calls windmills "yumm-bahs" when talking to me. I'm 23 hmm

LaQueen Tue 05-Mar-13 14:56:16

SDTG yep, I hear you...DD1 is 10 this week. And, as I tell her on a regular basis You are, and always will be, my baby smile

LaQueen Tue 05-Mar-13 14:54:07

Our DDs are 9 & 10...and both DH and I are still perfectly happy to indulge in the odd bit of Baby-Talk with them.

Collectively, they answer to Flumpies

Bedtime is still known as Bee-Byes

Cuddling is known as Snuggle-Bugging

There's loads more...and...? [folds arms, raises eyebrow...]

Fakebook Tue 05-Mar-13 13:29:18

YAnBU. I do it in the vicinity of my home. I wouldn't dare do it outside my four walls, how embarrassing.

KellyElly Tue 05-Mar-13 12:54:53

I use lots of weird/babyish words for things to my 3 year old DD - PJ's - 'jimmy jamsters', knickers - 'knicky knacky noos', nappy - 'nap nap', milk 'milkies', bed time 'night night time'...the list is endless. She likes/uses those words and it's just our little language. I'm sure this won't be still going on when she's 10 but at three or four it's fine IMO.

maddening Tue 05-Mar-13 12:29:33

I think it is meant to be something that we do naturally in response to babies - as they respond to higher pitch singy tones.

I feel your pain, Smudging. Ds3 gets really narked if I call him my baby. But I don't see why I should stop, just because he is nearly 16! grin

Smudging Tue 05-Mar-13 11:32:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Poppet48 Tue 05-Mar-13 11:16:10

I have an 18 MO who often gets mistaken as a 3 YO.

YABU.

quesadilla Tue 05-Mar-13 10:44:51

Odd eyebrow even

quesadilla Tue 05-Mar-13 10:43:19

Fine. But it's hard to think of anything more private or harmless than the way people communicate with their kids. If you are going to post something so judgy on a topic this trivial you should be prepared that people may raise the off eyebrow.

ReallyTired Tue 05-Mar-13 10:42:59

Its one thing to speak to your baby in motherese, but a totally different thing when they are old enough to walk and talk themselves.

I worry more about the parents who don't talk to their children though.

nokidshere Tue 05-Mar-13 10:38:57

yabu - babies love baby goo goo stuff and young children love playing with silly words and sounds. It might have been a private little joke between them, or it might just be that she was feeling silly.. or any number of reasons.

Any speech to your child - correct or not - is a good thing.

Samu2 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:35:46

I have to laugh at it being none of my business. Of course it isn't, but since when has that stopped anyone being annoyed by something? grin

It's not like I asked her to stop or told her my opinion.

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 05-Mar-13 10:35:19

We still call fire engine nee naas and my dcs are doing gcses.
And baa lambs.

pinkpudding Tue 05-Mar-13 10:27:47

my friend makes her baby talk like a ventriloquist doll. in a very annoying cutesy voice. i hate it. especially when i get sucked into a discussion smile

quesadilla Tue 05-Mar-13 10:12:16

YABU. None of your bloody business how people talk to their kids.

Samu2 Tue 05-Mar-13 08:38:14

At least I am not on my own anymore lol

My gum is much better this morning and the sun is out so I am ready to face people today grin

catlady1 Tue 05-Mar-13 02:06:52

Baby talk when talking to a baby who can't yet speak is perfectly normal and a good thing - they don't understand the actual words anyway, they just react to your tone of voice. Then when they're first learning to speak it can be easier for them to make simple, repetive sounds, such as bo-bo or woo-woo or choo-choo. Parents have been doing it forever and there are very few adults who have trouble calling a train a train so it can't be that bad!

My parents tell me when I was a toddler some person they knew said to me:
Person: Ooh look LTJ - look at the gee gee!
Me: hmm It's a horse

SirBoobAlot Tue 05-Mar-13 01:50:52

Making sounds back at a baby when they are first learning to talk - great.

Using ridiculous terms for things, "Doggey" "horsey" "bot-bot"... Makes me want to explode. Irritates the shit out of me.

And on a practical level, what is the point in teaching a child to talk if two years later you'll be telling them they're wrong and to use another word?

StuntGirl Tue 05-Mar-13 01:29:48

Oh and for what its worth I hope your gum infection gets sorted soon. I had one last summer and it was HELL. Sea salt mouthwashes and the strongest painkillers you can lay your hands on are my advice (and anti biotics, obv). I hope you feel better soon thanks

StuntGirl Tue 05-Mar-13 01:27:48

YANBU, gum infection or not! Ridiculous woman (her not you). The only consolation is she probably felt a right tit about a nanosecond after she said it out loud.

RaspberryRuffle Tue 05-Mar-13 01:19:04

YANBU Samu2. How is the 4 year old going to speak properly if the mother says "woo woo". Maybe the 4 year old was inwardly cringing!

Totally agree with doucblechocchip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now