To HATE World Book day

(183 Posts)
CurlyRooth Mon 04-Mar-13 13:59:58

I love books, but I truly and utterly, really, really, REALLY hate World Book Day. I just see it as yet ANOTHER edict sent from above (i.e. 'well-meaning' schools) to make our lives as busy working parents the ultimate hell.

And it's the same old, same old every single blooming' year: a smattering of Harry Potters, a few shiny Cinderella's, and many more Where's Wally.

Time consuming, and tedious.

nickelbabe Sat 09-Mar-13 17:43:03

and it's exactly why I treat each child the same, whether they are using their token for a discount or just buying a £1 book - it might be one of those children like in your school, who have never owned a book of their own, and I treat them like they've bought the biggest most expensive book in the shop smile

nickelbabe Sat 09-Mar-13 17:40:34

Ellie - how lovely smile grin

that's exactly what I mean grin

fuzzpig Sat 09-Mar-13 17:20:13

Oh Ellie I feel all sniffly now! That's what it's about, how lovely for them to have a book now smile

EllieorOllie Sat 09-Mar-13 17:07:03

I read the first half of this thread the other day when I was resentfully trawling for costume ideas and I haven't yet read the second the half BUT

This year was the first year I really GOT world book day. I have taught for 8 years now, mostly in very naice schools in very naice areas. I have dressed up, and seen the kids dress up, met the visiting author and manned the book fair. All jolly fun, if a bit of a hassle to organise. Book tokens were distributed, most got abandoned somewhere and that was the end of it. However, I am currently working in what is described in the local media as a 'troubled' school. Certainly there is a lot of deprivation and not much attainment. We had dress up day on Thursday, most children were in costume, lots of superheroes and princesses of course. At the end of the day we gave out the book tokens and I thought that, as usual, that would be the end of it. But yesterday, on the gate in the morning, a little girl bounded up to me with her new £1 book that her Mum had taken her to buy in town with the voucher that very afternoon. She asked if she could show it to the class. I agreed, but as I turned to collect the other children, Mum pulled me aside. She asked me if I could read the book to her DD because she herself couldn't read. In the end 5 children brought their new books in to show. We read them all. Lots more told me excitedly about their new book. 1 of the 5 said it was her first ever book.

Next year I shall probably grumble again when I get the wbd dressing up letter for my DD. But I know now what it is all about and I will remember what excitement it brought those kids, even having 1 book in their lives.

fuzzpig Sat 09-Mar-13 17:02:18

Oh that is sad kazoo - maybe they'd been dropped by accident? (Which would mean a sad child anyway)

What a waste I'd gladly have them

Kazooblue Sat 09-Mar-13 16:38:11

I think WBD is fab but the dressing up thing has turned into an excuse to do nothing else.It's a shame as so many kids need to be drawn into reading and makes many parents resentful which kind of clouds the message.Think the whole thing needs beefing up a bit as it's getting stale which is a shame as it much needed.

Do they send an ideas pack to schools?

Also think it would be good to enable kids to exchange the vouchers at school and bring in extra £s to buy others. Some parents won't take their dc into bookshops to spend them(the very kids who need this).We just bought ours and I ended up getting 5 as my 3 wanted them all,at £1 a book they're good value.Sadly I saw some vouchers on the pavement on the way home from school.sad

nailak Sat 09-Mar-13 15:09:48

Don't u get that love of reading is not just about books but the whole fantasy universe that books inspire, the way you identify with characters, and are inspired by characters and make games around books or imaginary scenarios or whatever, dressing up is part of that.

nickelbabe Sat 09-Mar-13 10:41:43

maybe it was.
Your point was that "the love of reading" is obvious.
My point was that no, it isn't to a lot of people.
hence the free books.

amazingmumof6 Fri 08-Mar-13 23:26:28

nickelbabe if me thinking that it is obvious makes me a "privileged" person, then that is a very sad realization.....

maybe my education in communist Hungary was superior to the current British one/s available?

nickelbabe Fri 08-Mar-13 18:26:40

one book a year is all it takes, baking

I love the concept of WBD. I just wish the execution of it by schools was more about ... erm... reading actual books!

The pre-school teachers said my children were the only ones to bring the book with in them! I am a naive mother of pre-schoolers and made the mistake of thinking it was supposed to be more about the book than the costume. Clearly mistaken!

The costumes were a serious pain though. My only comfort is that my kids genuinely love the book and are fascinated by the characters they dressed as (Burglar Bill and Burglar Bettygrin). If I have to suffer for my art, at least it is art with meaning attached.

Bakingnovice Fri 08-Mar-13 15:25:23

* books were my escapism.

Bakingnovice Fri 08-Mar-13 15:24:45

* b

Bakingnovice Fri 08-Mar-13 15:24:12

Nickelbabe I really hope your shop survives. Pre- dc I spent many hours in bookshops just touching and feeling books. Smelling them. Browsing. Books weren't escapism from a difficult childhood and I'm
Sure it's my escapism into books which made me an academic high achiever. However, I have to accept my share of responsibity for the closure of shops like yours. I swore I'd never ever own a kindle. But I do and I love it. I buy the kids books online as its cheaper and we don't have an independent book shop in our city. Even if we did with 3 dc I'd probably still buy online as its cheaper. I just feel so sad at the decline in bookshops like yours and wish you all the best.

nickelbabe Fri 08-Mar-13 14:26:53

I think it might have been obvious why i was swearing at you - you were being facetious and trying to make out that because you know how important books are, then surely everyone else must too.
Don't start taking offence at the swearing, because what you said was way worse than the worst swearing on the planet - you're basically saying that everyone is as privileged as you and as such, quite obviously don't deserve what we're trying to do for them,.

amazingmumof6 Fri 08-Mar-13 13:57:52

nickelbabe

I'm sorry your business is in trouble, but why are you swearing at me?

to me it is obvious that books ad reading are very important, so I find it offensive to be told about what I know and practice already especially when it means the hassle of yet another stupid dressing up day....

my kids hate dressing up, but love books, so for us it is a pointless annoyance.

it is exciting and useful for others no doubt, but I can only vouch for my opinion. or am I not allowed to have one?

Yeah, I saw that. Hopefully that'll replace the council funding entirely. It is an absolutely brilliant resource, and does loads with just about all the local schools.

MuddlingMackem Thu 07-Mar-13 21:04:16

ArbitraryUsername Thu 07-Mar-13 19:37:15

>>>>> There's an absolutely brilliant children's book store in the seven stories in Newcastle. <<<<<

Agreed, that's fantastic. We like to have annual passes for there but can't afford them again until I get a proper job. sad

>>>> Unfortunately, the seven stories (which is generally great) is currently at risk because the city council can't afford to fund it any more. <<<<

I didn't realise they were at risk too. shock And haven't they just been granted the title of National Centre for Children's Books?

cleofatra Thu 07-Mar-13 20:23:47

I had no idea world book day involved tokens of any sort. They haven't been mentioned at all at our school.

FossilMum Thu 07-Mar-13 20:16:44

ArbitraryUserName - great to hear how dressing up can actually inspire reading and talking about reading
BUT
why don't they get the CHILDREN to make their own props as a craft activity AT SCHOOL, and talk about why they want to be who/what they want to be while they're at it, rather than just expecting the parents to buy/make an outfit at home, which is what usually happens in practice (esp. with younger children or with short notice)?

sensesworkingovertime Thu 07-Mar-13 19:46:56

I posted the OP last year, such was my hatred of World Book Day. Here's my main reasons -

1) It's one more thing to add to my list of 'shite to remember'
2) It's costly - seems to cost me at least £8 to £10 pounds every year on a costume
3) Time consuming - buying or making said costume
4) Last but by no means least - the endless kids and adults who just dress up as any instantly recognisable character THAT IS NOT A BOOK CHARACTER, IT'S A FILM OR TV CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My DD told me that a female teacher dressed as Shrek today!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaghhhh, since when is SHREK a book???????

And the news today is the local councils are closing loads more libraries to save money - HAPPY WORLD BOOK DAY - i'm off to find a quiet dark room...

(For anyone who is in Newcastle, there's a WBD event on this weekend with the illustrator of giraffes can't dance).

There's an absolutely brilliant children's book store in the seven stories in Newcastle. Unfortunately, the seven stories (which is generally great) is currently at risk because the city council can't afford to fund it any more.

Well most superheroes are comic book characters. DS2 loved showing everyone at nursery his Star Wars book and telling them all the details. The staff remarked that he knows an awful lot about it! They'd done dressing in bright colours for an alien tea on planet zum zee yesterday, but he still insisted on donning his vader dressing gown this morning.

We have hundreds of books at home, but my kids are still likely to want to dress up as something ridiculous (darth vader in DS2's case). DS1 wanted to be a character from the manga series bleach but it would have involved ordering stuff from china. I told him he can do that for Halloween. He's always reading actual books, but he still wanted to go as something that probably shouts 'family of non-readers' to those who don't know this. Oh well.

I think dressing up as characters from books can help to fire children's imagination and help them to see why they might enjoy reading. They get to see all sorts of characters from books and talk about who they are dressed as and the book in general. It's unlikely to put them off.

DS1 has just gotten ready for bed (yes, he's 12 and it's only 7.30) and has done a celebratory dance because I told him he has an hour an a half to read before lights out. He is super keen on finishing the book he dressed up as a character from. As he'd been talking to a friend at school (who has read the book) about how great it is, etc. It hasn't turned a non-reader into a reader by any stretch of the imagination but the whole dressing up for world book day has contributed something to his enthusiasm for reading.

FossilMum Thu 07-Mar-13 19:22:06

The problem is clearly the unimaginative, idiotic inability of so many schools to do something properly related to enjoying books, stories and reading on WBD.

Author visits - fantastic!
Reading some really good stories to the children - great
Encouraging the children to write stories of their own - brilliant
Getting children to bring in their favourite books, then reading out extracts from them - good
Providing an opportunity for children to spend their free £1 book vouchers - wonderful

But getting them to dress up - not very inspiring, esp. with all the other dress-up days they already inflict on beleagured non-creative parents why oh why don't they get the kids to make them at school FFS have. DS's school, thank heavens, didn't do dressing up this year. They appeared to be getting it right. They had a 'book fair'. However, when we showed up, none of the £1 free books were available at said fair. They also got the children to bring in their favourite books. Sounds good. DS is in Reception; most of them can barely read. They were told to read the books quietly to themselves for a few minutes. By his account my son gazed at the pictures a bit then reverted to thinking of Lego. I'd hoped the teacher would read out a few inspiring examples, but, oh, no, they didn't have story time today at all. Aargh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now