To be really pissed off that when I google goldilocks or little red riding hood costumes I am inundated with big boobs with short skirts

(76 Posts)
Fakebook Mon 04-Mar-13 12:14:55

I am looking at costumes for dd for WBD and am getting increasingly pissed off at why children's female book characters are being sexualised for adult costumes.

If you press on images and google "Cinderella costume" the third pic is of a woman wearing a half boob tube corset type thing with a tiny sliver of a skirt and netted tights. If you google "goldilocks costume" you get a woman with a low cut corset type dress and white stockings.

This has really pissed me off. I'm looking for a costume for my five year old ffs. Why are children's characters being sexualised in this way? Who the hell likes this shit and who buys it?

Growlithe Thu 07-Mar-13 21:22:46

Sexy Sherlock Holmes. hmm

Fakebook Thu 07-Mar-13 21:10:11

grin The real estate agent!

"She'll sell you a house, and then...give you some papers to sign"

That's a good one

Fakebook Thu 07-Mar-13 21:04:50
Fakebook Thu 07-Mar-13 21:04:29

I don't think any "sexy" costume can be more ridiculous than [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/slideshow/2003076/258503/?icid=hp_teen_gallery this]].

<Drools>

Theres a funny "top ten ridiculous sexy costumes" online somewhere, I'll go find it...

marjproops Thu 07-Mar-13 20:14:03

YANBU kids looking for themselves (not under supervision, why would they be, they're innocently looking for kiddywear)are then inundated with this.

And theres a costume shop in a town near us that the kiddies section is at the BACK of the shop and you and child have to walk past the kinky stuff to get to them????!!!!

On another note, a friend was once looking for mister men pics to print out for her nephew and googled 'mr happy' and with nepphew there was confronted with a full blown (pardon the expression) image of a mans aroused genitals!!

WhoWhatWhereWhen Thu 07-Mar-13 20:01:14

Just Googled "Bambi" and didn't get any filth with that either..

WhoWhatWhereWhen Thu 07-Mar-13 19:58:07

I just tried this and got nothing like what you have described, search results are personalised though....

sensesworkingovertime Thu 07-Mar-13 19:52:28

Whatever you do don't google 'Bambi' , I did this when my DD loved the Disney cartoon and I was looking for colouring pages - what a shock, it is tedious though when your trying to look for innocent stuff to get all this smutty stuff shoved at you.

Uppermid Thu 07-Mar-13 19:10:09

We go to a Halloween party every year and trying to find a costume is an absolute nightmare.

They are all tits and ass type costumes, drives me mad

Fakebook Thu 07-Mar-13 19:07:23

sexy butchers?! Now I want to google sexy geologists to see what comes up grin.

catgirl1976 Thu 07-Mar-13 19:02:48

Sexy butcher? <boggles>

TiggyD Thu 07-Mar-13 18:59:44

Out of interest, I just Googled something that couldn't possibly have any sexy side to it. I Googled "Sexy Butcher Costume". Bugger me if there wasn't a lady in a short skirt being a butcher!

In my experience of buying fancy dress costumes, under size 16 means it will have a very short skirt and barely cover the chesty regions. Size 16 and over, the skirt will be ankle length and the top half will be baggy and shapeless.

I've worn a red riding hood out (black and white check dress, red hood homemade with long white socks not stockings ffs!! and a wicker basket) for a fancy dress party. Ran into a "sexy" red riding hood in one pub. I certainly know who I thought looked better wink

CocacolaMum Thu 07-Mar-13 16:53:46
catgirl1976 Thu 07-Mar-13 16:52:17

grin

We could go on dragons den with our new range

Fakebook Thu 07-Mar-13 14:53:10

It sounds sexy! I adopt that look most days and DH can't get enough. He finds the smell of baby sick quite alluring. smile.

catgirl1976 Thu 07-Mar-13 14:28:32

I have adopted my new costume

"Shattered mummy who hasn't washed her hair in three days and has fish pie and baby snot on her shoulder"

It's dead sexy grin

Fakebook Thu 07-Mar-13 14:22:02

Growlithe, I'd like to but then I'd end up outing myself. Just wanted other people with shop bought costumes to know that it's not always home made costumes that are noticed!

Catgirl, maybe try a catwoman outfit next time wink.

autumnmum Thu 07-Mar-13 14:21:07

I've got a theory about this. I don't think the manufacturers thought lets make a sexy version, I think they thought how can we make our fancy dress as cheap as possible. To do this they used hardly any fabric and the marketers came up with the idea of "sexy", rather than "cheap" (although in the case of most of these outfits the two words are interchangable).

catgirl1976 Thu 07-Mar-13 13:57:21

I dressed up as a "sexy" red riding hood once

Sadly, DH nearly died laughing and there was no sex as he couldn't stop the tears running down his face or breathe hmm blush

Growlithe Thu 07-Mar-13 13:31:59

Well done Fakebook. Do we get to see the photo?

Fakebook Thu 07-Mar-13 12:12:47

Well, I sent dd in today, put a pic up on Instagram and just had a message asking for her picture to be used for a famous online newspaper. You don't need a costume to be homemade for it to be noticed; the accessories are just as important. grin. Good old ASDA.

itsallyourownfault Mon 04-Mar-13 13:55:50

YANBU. It's also irritating that no fancy dress party for adults can take place without all the females dressing up as sexy something or other. So boring, unoriginal,unsexy. In fact fancy dress for adults, in any form, should be banned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now