To of started this thread?

(153 Posts)
atthewelles Mon 04-Mar-13 10:52:35

It must be very anoying when posters keep littering there threads with stupid grammer and spelling. So I taught it would be a good idea to start a thread for the grammar police full with errors So if your a member of this group and you're time is being wasted, trawling through treads for mistakes this could mean you don't loose so much time. It will also mean you might not be effected by this stuff on other threads as you will get it out of your system here.
So anyway, weather or not your a member of the dreaded grammer police its open to you to come on this thread and spot the mistakes, misspellings, stray apostrophes, incorret use of full stops and commas etc.

Every single mistake you spot is DELIBERATE. None of them are here unintentionally grin

smile

Sallyingforth Thu 07-Mar-13 10:25:30

See, that is no way for the grammar police to start a sentence.
Sorry MrsC.

See, normally I am the grammar police - BUT - only when it matters. So if someone has posted asking for help, and there are what I'd perceive as errors in spelling and grammar, that would be unimportant to me. What would concern me would be the problem they were seeking help with.

HOWEVER, if someone was a teacher, lawyer etc. and was making errors in spelling and grammar, in their daily duties, then I would be picking up on it.

Fwiw, I have several friends with differing learning difficulties, and I know that they do struggle with constructing sentences, writing and spelling. Some of them chose to use programmes that help them (software), some of them chose not to. If they're writing something for other people to read, and I have been asked to read through their work, I will politely and tactfully point out errors that might confuse readers. I would not be insulting and abusive to them about their 'shortcomings'.

TheVermiciousKnid Thu 07-Mar-13 09:22:29

I think when people jump in and point out an OP's dodgy spelling/grammar it's not really about them being pedants. They are just being rude, simple as that. There are plenty of pedants on here who wouldn't dream of being so rude. The only times I have ever pointed out any mistakes is when the other poster had a go at somebody else's spelling or grammer or when it's an obvious and really obnoxious troll. I wouldn't do it otherwise as it's just rude and unnecessary!

ChairmanWow Thu 07-Mar-13 04:49:35

Now that is how you do it: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1700642-to-think-that-a-teacher-should-know-the-difference-between-lose-and-loose

Apols for shonky link but I'm doing it on my phone. Anyway, hats off to OP for a fantastic bait! Now quick MNHQ <lock the thread>!

atthewelles Wed 06-Mar-13 10:09:34

Altinkum

As I said previously, this thread was started to have a go at the pedants who make crass, rude and often offensive remarks about people's grammar and spelling mistakes.
I totally understand your viewpoint. I have just found that sometimes the best way to tackle unpleasant or bullying behaviour is to simply laugh it off. The Grammar Police represent a very small minority of posters and I am genuinely laughing at them and with you.
Because really, their behaviour is very silly. I would far rather read a post by a lively, engaging or interesting poster whose grammar isn't perfect, than a post by a dull boring pedant with nothing amusing or entertaining to say for themselves.

Altinkum Tue 05-Mar-13 21:17:33

I agree with all if you, I suppose inwantnto live is a world that is full of idealisms.

ChairmanWow Tue 05-Mar-13 20:13:31

Altinkum I thought carefully about joining in with thread. Initially I felt as you did that it demeaned people with dyslexia and learning disabilities and was going to post a rant about how one of my best friends has dyslexia and her texts are littered with the kind of errors people seemed to be laughing at, and my cousin has learning disabilities and has very basic literacy skills. Then I realised that the pedants who criticise and mock those whose grammar is less than perfect were the ones being targetted by this thread.

I do think we're all on the same side, just dealing with it in different ways. I don't think anyone who has posted had done so to make light of people with issues around literacy.

YouTheCat Tue 05-Mar-13 20:07:42

I am a pedant in RL but only because it's part of my job. grin

HecateWhoopass Tue 05-Mar-13 20:05:24

No, I guess they don't.

I just hate it when someone comes on looking for support or advice and someone thinks that it's ok to pick apart their bloody spelling.

It always makes me want to yell at them. grin

And perhaps if enough people challenged them, they'd eventually stop it.

At the moment, you read it and other people just ignore it. Giving them the impression that others think it's ok.

YouTheCat Tue 05-Mar-13 20:01:29

If someone retaliates with abuse though, just report them. It'll be the same arses being pedants over and over again. Just because they can spell and punctuate doesn't mean they can put a cohesive argument together.

If MN gets enough reports about the same posters then they'll be given a dressing down.

Altinkum Tue 05-Mar-13 19:57:35

Yes it is and can be a good thing, but can you honestly tell me, from pointing it out to them they have apologised, or back tracked, I've been here I think 5 years now, and I've never seen it once, normally they relailated with abuse.

Anybody can do what they want, but having been that person, on the receiving end, my advice is to ignore, however that only my opinion and everyone can listen to it or not.

HecateWhoopass Tue 05-Mar-13 19:41:53

ok. Fair enough.

next time someone pours their heart out and some utter toad snipes "paragraphs " or some other shit, I will remember that we are all different.

Actually, sorry. I won't. I will always say that that is unacceptable and challenge it. It hurts people who are asking for advice or pouring out their heart when someone can only say that they spelled a word wrong or didn't use a capital letter.

There's no excuse for it.

It would be nice if people stopped doing it and if it can make them think differently, then pointing it out to them can only be a good thing, imo.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 05-Mar-13 19:21:01

I'm sorry that's the way you see it then Atinkum.
I won't bother coming on to pull anybody up anymore on their spelling and grammar corrections to others.

Altinkum Tue 05-Mar-13 19:12:06

I'm not defending anyone that's my point, why should any if either side, be mocking anyone?

Why not be adult and mature and use the brain that you were given at birth as realise that we are all different.

If a poster comes on and pulls someone up on their writing ability style, inthink it says more about them, than the person being attacked.

I just don't get why these or any theads on writing ability is needed at all.

Some maybe thick as shit, some may also have a learning disability, some may just not grasp the witten language, but who knows any of this as its all behind a screen, to be it shows more about them, than those of us who struggle.

To me a thread like this is giving them attention and seeing that their words can and do have an affect on us. Why give them that attention, as clearly that's all they want.

HecateWhoopass Tue 05-Mar-13 19:02:49

I don't understand.

Are you defending the people who go onto a thread where someone is upset and their only contribution is to attack the person's spelling or grammar?

Or defending those who refuse to read a post from someone who is clearly really distressed because they didn't put paragraphs in it?

Because that's the point being made by the OP and that's what the thread was about. How revolting such people are.

The mistakes being played about with are not poking fun at people who can't spell. At all.

"Why is it ok to pull someone, pick on someone by the way try write on a writing forum?"

That is exactly, exactly the point being made.

it isn't ok.

So people shouldn't do it.

Nobody is making fun of anyone who can't spell.

What was being said was that when someone posts something, you DON'T respond to that by critisising their spelling or grammar.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 05-Mar-13 19:02:41

That's not fair Altinkum.
It's posters like the Op and others on this thread who will be the first to jump on to a poster to defend you, if they attacked your spelling and grammar.
This thread was supposed to be mocking the pedants rather than the ones that have to put up with their nastiness.

Altinkum Tue 05-Mar-13 18:59:55

And by post looks shit!

Why is mocking those with a writing disability seen differently from those who have say autism, MH etc... Why is one accetable and one isn't?

And before anybody comes on and states that dyslexia doesn't affect grammar, punctuation, spelling etc... Your incorrect I've seen this on here said many times.

Altinkum Tue 05-Mar-13 18:55:08

This website is a website that communicates via "written" communication, there is a wide range of people in here with multiple disabilities, circumstances, health issues etc...

Some on here like me, have dyslexia, some have autism, MH issues etc...

Would it be accetable to come on here and state oh all you, with MH problems just need to get you're head sorted because its something that can be improve, gets tester within time, butncompletlyndimisses the fact that its the PERSON who has to deal with the thing that people are ridiculing them or making fun, or not realising that all people are different and some have better capabilities than some.

Why is it ok to pull someone, pick on someone by the way try write on a writing forum? When that's the only form of communication on a website like this.

When I first started here, I was told by absolute dickhead that I should start each post stating inhavenanlearning disability, to me this just shows compete ignorance (no matter what side) that people have all manners of abilities, and just because one is weak, at least thy are trying to help others and debate with the "*best*of them" to the best of THEIR ability.

I personally find all this cruel and demeaning and plain heartless, mocking those that struggle daily with any condition, illness, disability.

Why is mocking people's writing ability, expecially those of us who have a learning disability.

I know OP you didn't mean any harm by this post, but I say personally your just the same as the pendants, if they are wrong to do it, then surely making fun if yourself, of us whose ability is someone weak, isn't any better than them.

I don't mean to kill this thread, I just find it incredibly distasteful.

Viviennemary Tue 05-Mar-13 18:35:23

I see now. You are all forgiven. I didn't read the OP properly. As usual. blush

HecateWhoopass Tue 05-Mar-13 18:32:03

Is that what you think people are mocking?

That's not it.

People are mocking those who go onto a thread and having nothing to contribute but some stupid pointless bitchy comment about spelling or grammar.

This thread is a two fingered salute to such people.

Not mocking those who make spelling or grammar mistakes.

Viviennemary Tue 05-Mar-13 18:29:45

Should that be grammatical? But it isn't very nice.

Viviennemary Tue 05-Mar-13 18:28:26

I did join in. But it is offensive. It isn't really acceptable to mock other people's grammar and spelling errors.

HecateWhoopass Tue 05-Mar-13 18:14:46

what do you find offensive about it, Altinkum?

YouTheCat Tue 05-Mar-13 18:12:57

I have a colleague like that too, Absy. She works in a school (not a teacher) and I'd put her literacy level at about a level 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now