Upset by friends facebook status - I know I probably am but find it genuienely distressing!

(257 Posts)
RoseGarden123 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:49:30

Saw friends facebook status about leaving her 6 week old DS to CIO to get him onto a healthy routine. this baby was born 4 weeks early. I text her to see if everything was ok. When she said she couldn't deal with doing the CIO but thought it was the best thing to establish a routine early ,I sent her a link to some info which I said had found really helpful in the early days. I'll admit the link was to some unconditional/ AP type parenting approach, her response was she didn't go in for the 'hippy' stuff and she wanted to make sure that her DS knew who was boss from day one and wasn't going to 'win' and after 3 hours he had gone to sleep.
I am not upset at all about her rejecting the info link, I sent it very tactfully and everyone chooses their own path in parenting but seriously CIO with a prem 6 week old, am I completely off the mark when I think this is very upsetting and worrying?!

Kiwiinkits Sun 03-Mar-13 21:26:38

Sad. And misinformed. Poor baby. I hope she was exaggerating.

Kiwiinkits Sun 03-Mar-13 21:28:20

I don't think I could be friends with someone who is so obviously lacking in empathy. I'm serious.

Goldenbear Sun 03-Mar-13 21:29:39

Yes I agree with doyouwantfrieswiththat, it is an alarmingly cold approach to take towards your NEWBORN!

Goldenbear Sun 03-Mar-13 21:31:07

Yes I agree with doyouwantfrieswiththat, it is an alarmingly cold approach to take towards your NEWBORN!

That is very sad sad

I wouldn't leave my 10yr old DS to cry for 3 hours, let alone a baby sad

mummy2b2011 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:32:45

I think this is horrendous. I just asked my husband (who manages a social work team- child protection) and he said that he would have concerns about this if he became aware of it through work. I completely agree with whoever said up-thread that it is neglectful. Poor baby sad

Unusednickname Sun 03-Mar-13 21:34:53

YANBU I wouldn't leave dd to cry for three hours (or any hours) and she's nearly 3. Actually I wouldn't leave dh to cry for three hours...

This friendship isn't going to make it though is it? Not if you're AP/UP and she's a control freak twunt?

sweetieaddict Sun 03-Mar-13 21:35:09

I've been thinking about this and think you should call a local health visitor tomorrow. Don't give your details but say your friend would benefit from a visit and some advice on how to patiently and lovingly settle her newborn to sleep.

Any moron that posts that on fb is obviously in need of urgent help and her lack of compassion is very worrying. Don't worry about her thinking it is you, it could have been anyone of her 'friends' on FB....

My sister has a friend that lives in flats and when sister goes round to friends she hears the woman upstairs screaming at her 4yo.

"Get to bed now, you fucking, useless little bitch" is just some of the milder screaming she has heard all night.

Sister became so distressed listening to this when she visited friend she called social services and thankfully there has been no shouting since.

Sadly, we are a nation that is far too polite and afraid to 'rock the boat' but in these circumstances I wouldn't hesitate twice to help a child.

sweetieaddict Sun 03-Mar-13 21:36:27

mummy2b - so pleased you posted that, just read it.

akaemmafrost Sun 03-Mar-13 21:36:31

That baby didn't go to sleep he passed out! In mental anguish, hungry and probably in shock. Stupid twat angry. I'd post that on her FB wall, with links to relevant medically proven studies so her other mates can see and then follow it with "and now I am blocking you as I cannot stand to see any more updates of you detailing your cruelty to a helpless baby".

spiderlight Sun 03-Mar-13 21:37:39

Poor little love - that's just heartbreaking sad I wouldn't leave my DS to cry for three minutes and he's nearly 6!

pudcat Sun 03-Mar-13 21:37:54

The baby will soon learn that crying does not get any food or comfort and will become withdrawn. This is just like the NSPCC advert. "*** has learnt not cry...".
I would report her to Social Services, HV or anyone that can do something. Take a screen print of the status to show them. You cannot let it go. She could be doing this tonight, and the poor little baby will be starving after crying that long but will be too exhausted to wake up for food. She is a cruel mother.

akaemmafrost Sun 03-Mar-13 21:39:36

Oh and I would also say, you do know you are actually damaging your babies brain don't you? Hard wiring him for stress later in life? Oh well at least YOU get a good nights sleep. You knob!

Unusednickname Sun 03-Mar-13 21:40:58

And I hate to be the first one to say PND but...?

I agree - report it. It might be the tip of an iceberg.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sun 03-Mar-13 21:42:04

The poor little thing. I did cc with DD at 9.5 months after 5 months of multiple wakings. She cried for 7 minutes and then fell asleep. I nearly cracked as it was - DH had to restrain me after the first minute! There is no way I could have listened to her for 3 hours. And she wasn't a tiny newborn.

YouTheCat Sun 03-Mar-13 21:42:26

Whether she has PND or not, she needs some help and advice from a reliable source (HV/GP etc).

GirlOutNumbered Sun 03-Mar-13 21:43:59

I would normally mind my own business, but I think you are some kind of hard bitch to listen to a baby cry for that long and do nothing.
Either that or there may be some mental health problems.

It is making me sad thinking about it, I hope she was exaggerating.

FlouncingMintyy Sun 03-Mar-13 21:44:07

Awful! I expect you will defriend her now, op? I do agree that it was a bit odd of you to send her AP info ... she's clearly not the type to go for all that schizzle is she? But there is a happy medium somewhere in between.

Btw, did you know Gwynnie and Chris Martin did something like this with their newborns? Employed a night nanny to basically get the baby into a routine from the get-go?

fluffypillow Sun 03-Mar-13 21:46:19

That is really sad sad

YANBU your friend definitely is.

Getoutofmygumboot Sun 03-Mar-13 21:48:34

Leaving a 6 week old baby to cry for 3 hours is disgusting, you need to tell your friend this.

How could she sit there and listen to her baby cry for that long? My dd is 11 months, I leave her for 15 mins max.

thebody Sun 03-Mar-13 21:53:13

Can I just actually say!!! I have never heard of anyone who had abused a child bragging about it in face book!

Get a massive fucking grip here please.

Born at 36 weeks isn't prem normal labour is 36 to 42 weeks actually.

I personally don't let my kitten miaow for long key alone my 4 kids but I don't believe she did either.

Faceb

thebody Sun 03-Mar-13 21:54:28

Dam pressed too soon. Facebook status isn't always true!!

As for phoning social services!! Seriously, where do you people actually come from....

stargirl1701 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:58:00

I agree. I would try to contact her HV. It is damaging to leave a baby under 6 months to cry alone for hours. It is emotional abuse.

thebody Sun 03-Mar-13 22:02:44

So you would call her HV or SS and quote face book!!! No other evidence..

sweetieaddict Sun 03-Mar-13 22:05:08

thebody
As for phoning social services!! Seriously, where do you people actually come from....

Ermmm we give a shit and are not prepared to turn a blind an eye to cruel fuckers that are neglecting and damaging their children, either way some asshole posts that on fb and thinks it's OK - NEEDS HELP.

So many times you hear again and again of children who come to harm neighbours/others wishing they had the balls to do something...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now