Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand why anyone would love the Royal family

(140 Posts)
kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:22:34

I mean they do their job well. Turn up for charity events, national events etc.

But they're just doing their job. Why do people love and adore them?

Kewcumber Sun 03-Mar-13 21:25:31

clueless they get way less coverage than football - equally entitled and pampered and imvho even more boring than the royals.

ClippedPhoenix Sun 03-Mar-13 21:31:54

They are an integral part of what makes England unique. I come from a tiny little Island in the whole scheme of things count my country as the best.

What would you want then OP, a President as in America? The ones I recall were a total joke. One was a part bit actor, one was a total war monger and as for the latest.

England has HISTORY and I'm proud of my monarchy the same way I'm proud to be English.

I don't "love" them as that would just be plain weird but I'm very glad we have them.

lappy Sun 03-Mar-13 21:36:51

I love them. I find the history behind the royal family fascinating. I wouldn't want to be one myself though!

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:37:18

Ah - the who do you want instead comment?

Why are people proud of the Monarchy?
Do you know your history and how the Monarchy have treated the public?

idiot55 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:50:20

clipped, do you mean United Kingdom?

LtEveDallas Sun 03-Mar-13 21:54:20

Ahh Kim, but America doesn't have as much history, so I'm not as interested (plus the fact I'm not American smile)

I'm interested though, what would you have if not the Monarchy?

ClippedPhoenix Sun 03-Mar-13 21:56:53

No, I mean what I said idiot. England.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:57:56

If we need a Head of State who has no political powers, I'm sure we could find a suitable apolitical candidate who does not express their views but is someone the country could look up to.

Or not have a Head of State and just have let our PM do the ceremonial meeting of dignitaries. At least he's been elected.

ClippedPhoenix Sun 03-Mar-13 21:59:13

Do you know what despots do all over the world? Which has been going on for centuries? and is still going on.

ClippedPhoenix Sun 03-Mar-13 22:00:53

Elected by who? us? are you mad. It's all bloody spin and there isn't even a government about at the moment that I'd piss on if they were on fire.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:01:36

The despots argument as well.

You can play monarchy bingo.

Did you know what King Leopald of Belgium did in the Congo? Only 100 years ago.

ClippedPhoenix Sun 03-Mar-13 22:01:48

Politics is a big game, can't you see that?

ClippedPhoenix Sun 03-Mar-13 22:03:37

I dont really care about King Leopald to be honest. I care about Englands Monarchs and there's really no comparison, it just makes you appear foolish to mention it.

MissAnnersley Sun 03-Mar-13 22:05:29

I can't see anything loveable about them.

I would like to have a republic. Other countries manage without a monarchy.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:07:42

You brought up despots in other countries as an example of what happens. I mentioned what some Monarchs are capable of.

I'm pretty sure we can have someone as a Head of State who's not a despot.

Brian Cox? David Attenborough? Or the lovely Clare Balding could have a go when needed for special occasions. grin

Bartlebee Sun 03-Mar-13 22:08:56

I neither like nor loathe them. I have little interest in them tbh. We went to Legoland when Kate & William got married so saw none of it. I do think those people that camp out in the mall to wave their flags or laid flowers at KP when Diana died are slightly unhinged.

I quite fancy a republic.

flatbread Sun 03-Mar-13 22:13:03

We don't need an unelected hereditary head of State

We have an elected Prime Minster
A deputy PM
A house of elected representatives and an upper chamber of many non-political experts
Appointed professional ambassadors
Plus people who have excelled at sports/arts/business/social work as unofficial ambassadors

If thee is any constitutional crisis, it should be settled by the judiciary

If you hold elected leaders in disdain, but look up to hereditary monarchy, you are in the wrong century smile

mogwai Sun 03-Mar-13 22:16:10

I think the whole concept of monarchy is very outdated, however I also try to stand back and see how they form part of our fabric as a nation.

When Diana died I had a real sense of living through an interesting period of history. They don't cost me much, personally.

The queen is bloody marvellous. She didn't ask to be born into the role, she got no choice and has such a sense of duty. I think she sets a great example and I don't think she's miserable at all, I think she has a lovely face full of expression. Not a huge fan of the rest of them, but wouldn't want to swap with the poor buggers either. Good luck to them with their palaces and their comforts. I bet they'd swap for your freedom.

There's a radio dj who quotes that the Monarchy costs something like 27p a year per person to 'maintain'.
Why? The Queen is one of the richest people in the UK (if not the World)

When the Queen Mothers residence was redocorated for Prince Charles whp paid? The Queen? The Great British Public?
Similarly (IIRC Windsor Castle) the fire. Who paid?

The Olympics- when the camera caught the Queen she looked so blardy miserable and picking her nails.

Prince Andrews DD going travelling- who paid for the security?

I'm not a fan but I can see the revenue it brings to the UK.
But should only be IMMEDIATE royal family (ie Queen, Phillip, her 4 DC + grandchildren).
Not the cousins / Aunts/Uncles

kissmyheathenass Sun 03-Mar-13 22:17:39

Wot Flatbread said. Exactly!

INeverSaidThat Sun 03-Mar-13 22:21:14

I would much rather not have any Royal family. I don't know them so can't say that I like or dislike them as individuals.

I really don't get why people fawn over them.

squeakytoy Sun 03-Mar-13 22:21:54

We need the income that tourism fetches, which is mainly involving the Royal Family. It keeps thousands of people in this country in employment.

Agent64 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:22:27

70 I am not a monarchist but the Queen picking her nails was the highlight of the Olympics for me grin

Classic.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:24:40

So we'd lose money if we had no Royal Family? I'm sure the palaces would still be a draw - as would London and our lovely countryside.

We do have a lot of history.

And democracy is important.

Morloth Sun 03-Mar-13 22:25:06

I don't really get the love, but I don't get the hate either.

Never met any of them so I pretty much have no opinion of them personally.

The next politician in Australia who pushes for a republic gets my vote.

Don't want or need a royal family IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now