Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand why anyone would love the Royal family

(140 Posts)
kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:22:34

I mean they do their job well. Turn up for charity events, national events etc.

But they're just doing their job. Why do people love and adore them?

flatbread Sun 03-Mar-13 20:29:45

YANBU

I don't think they are doing a particularly good 'job' either.

Queen - grim and no idea what she stands for
Her old man - seems like a racist twat
Charles - comes across as an entitled and pompous fart
William - angry and whiney about 'privacy'
Kate -lazy
Harry - promiscuous

Only one who seems somewhat likable is Camilla, but she was The Other Woman, so no respect for her either

SkinnybitchWannabe Sun 03-Mar-13 20:34:56

YABU.
I love the 'proper' royals.

hermioneweasley Sun 03-Mar-13 20:36:26

YANBU. Flatbread sums it up nicely.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:37:05

But why skinnybitchwannabe

What do you love about them?

ChairmanWow Sun 03-Mar-13 20:37:31

Wot Flatbread said. And let's not even mention Andrew.

Branleuse Sun 03-Mar-13 20:39:03

The french had the right idea

cookielove Sun 03-Mar-13 20:41:52

Can't stand any of the royals, can't understand any of the hype about them <urgh they make me shiver when i think about it>

However that said i do think they are a good tourist attraction, but that is it!!

aquashiv Sun 03-Mar-13 20:43:15

Some people love to 'know your place and be oppressed perhaps? It's beyond reason why a country as poor as ours still keep them.
When the Queen goes we should send them down the job centre.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:43:38

I'm still not sure what there is to "love" or "adore" about them. They're just doing their job.

aquashiv Sun 03-Mar-13 20:44:38

What is a 'proper' Royal anyway?

RattyRoland Sun 03-Mar-13 20:48:20

Yanbu, agree with flatbread.

I'm not very interested in them myself. TBH I wouldn't be hugely in favour of executing them or even of pensioning the Queen off, but I think we can probably dispense with the whole concept when she finally dies. WHich will be within 20 years as living much longer than that will only start the old lizardy conspiracists off again.

ReturnOfEmeraldGreen Sun 03-Mar-13 20:50:24

The Queen is a lizard? confused

Sunnywithshowers Sun 03-Mar-13 20:56:41

YANBU

LtEveDallas Sun 03-Mar-13 20:56:43

I don't 'love' them, but I think they are good for the country, help national pride, are a focus of interest and a hark back to the old days with all the fabulous pomp and ceremony.

I'm amused at Flatbreads list (as I always am when these threads come up). It's all supposition. I highly doubt that anyone as vehemently anti-royal as FB has actually met or spent any time with them, so it's nothing but guess work based on what? The newspapers? The Internet?

cluelesscleaner Sun 03-Mar-13 21:00:33

What gets me is the amount of news coverage the BBC gives them. Do I want to keep hearing about them and their pampered, entitled existence - no I bloody don't!

SucksToBeMe Sun 03-Mar-13 21:00:55

Flatbed summed it up really well!

<impressed>

ChairmanWow Sun 03-Mar-13 21:04:05

By the same token how could any of us 'subjects' possibly live them?

You've got to admit that the Queen does look like a right miserable old fucker though. I'm not sure standing around looking bored and pissed off helps engender a sense of national pride. National meh maybe.

Also what good old days are these? The feudal system? Not sure the rest of the population did right well out of that TBH.

ChairmanWow Sun 03-Mar-13 21:04:58

<love> them. D'oh!

MrsDoomsPatterson Sun 03-Mar-13 21:09:17

Flatbread on the nose baby.

idiot55 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:11:42

I feel sorry for them, what a nightmare having little privacy.

The queen in 86, quite entitled to look miserable I think with all she has to put up with.

LtEveDallas Sun 03-Mar-13 21:15:48

I didn't say 'good' old days confused.

It's the pomp and ceremony of the old days that interests and pleases me. The traditions, the ceremonies, the homes, the clothes. All the stuff that is being worn away by modern life. They still have footmen in tights for Gods sake! Formal dinners take forever due to all the toasts that have to be held, in accordance with a tradition set in stone 100 years ago. I love all that stuff, I love all the history and the reasons behind the traditions. It fascinates me.

I've been able to work 'with' one Royal and one Royal spouse, do some work 'for' another and have met a few in passing/introductions etc. None of them have come across as offensive, well except Princess Anne who is a law unto herself. Like I said I don't 'love' them, but I do like them and what they bring to the table.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:18:20

The USA do all the pomp and pageantry quite well.

Kewcumber Sun 03-Mar-13 21:22:36

I have little opinion on the royal family beyond that the queen seems a reasonably competent and not overly expensive head of state compared to others. But am loving the concept that we are such a terribly "poor" country that we can't afford the £1 per year per person (or whatever) they cost us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now